Author Topic: Fall walleye  (Read 1691 times)

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Fall walleye
« on: Sep 22, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Very stained water,  inland lake average depth 20'. What size, color jig would you use?
:icefish:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fall walleye
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:57 AM »
You need to figure out what the walleye are feeding on, that will help with size and type.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I for a lack of a better response, don't know how to tell what they are feeding on. I have caught them at this lake on crawlers and emerald shiners. Mostly during the spring.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2013, 12:01 PM »
The jiggin raps #3,#5 are usually a good bet, the glow, perch and fire tiger colors generally produce. For spoons the buckeye rattle spoon, swedish pimples and slender spoons are favorites. Most guys prefer to tip the jig with a shiner head if legal. Unfortunately, it can be a lot of trial and error which is why they make 10,000 different types/sizes/colors to catch us fishermen. Generally the lure should be about the size of the bait, in this lake it sounds like emeralds are it.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2013, 05:15 PM »
I was going to start with either a chartuse gumball jig say 1/4 oz with a 2 to 3 inch minnow or a haili jig I think its called clow for color maybe noy with a small emerald, vertical in deep water.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Hope that works out for you but I would suggest having a few larger jigs to try as well. Walter generally likes motion and they aren't afraid to take a large bait.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2013, 06:15 PM »
I was going to start with either a chartuse gumball jig say 1/4 oz with a 2 to 3 inch minnow or a haili jig I think its called clow for color maybe noy with a small emerald, vertical in deep water.
Didn't work had a couple of bait stealers but much of nothing else, going to try a slip bobber with a minnow this weekend at about sunset.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2013, 09:32 AM »

Tried a number of tatics, bottom bouncing with a crawler harness did the job again.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Perch went 12". Bottom bouncing has been my go to tactic, was hoping to pick up on a new way but got hungry.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.