Author Topic: new to burbot  (Read 2466 times)

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
new to burbot
« on: Jan 09, 2008, 03:44 PM »
I'm from Wyoming which burbot are not common, in fact they were illegally introdused in the flaming gorge res. so game and fish is in a panic to get them out (which will never happen) but i have caught a few and love eating them. So my question for you experts is what is their habits and what is the best tactics for fishing them? Many thanks

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: new to burbot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Definetly a nocturnal fish... They feed off the bottom... In the day, any piece of fish laid on the bottom will catch burbot.. At night which is prime time for them, we fish anything glow tipped with minnow or any other piece of fish. rubber tubes can be great too.. We jig for them at night and still place tip ups on the bottom to help our chances... I've found best bite to be just before dusk till about 10 oclock but you will get them all night if you want to hang in there... Muddy bottoms are best around these parts for sure they spawn under the ice too which is pretty cool in very shallow waters...

Definetly a great eating fish!!

good luck

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2008, 10:28 PM »
Pretty much what Whitefish Slayer said . I fine the bigger the bait the bigger the burbot. The will pretty much take anything for bait ,I use big live minnows or large smelt ,seems to work the best for me .
hook and cook

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2008, 11:23 PM »
hey thanks so much guys! :bow:

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2008, 11:37 PM »
go get em moski
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 09:57 PM »
go get em moski
thanks 4cator! ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.