Author Topic: Garaged Ice Fishing Lures  (Read 21815 times)

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Garaged Ice Fishing Lures
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2011, 04:51 AM »
well i found out what hooks have large eyes to support slit rings and fairy wings... i have been searching for the better part of a year and searched every hook selling website out there,.,. i called manufacturers and asked bait shop workers.. guess where i found the info at finally.. on ice shanty, go freaking figure, my answer was hiding on like page 8 of the jig making section lol here is the hook number, i found them in a variety of sizes on janns,

3366A large ringed eye sproat hook

Spaded, Reinke Bros. has them in gold too. Now I've got to find small blades with holes in them in gold finish. I found some nickle plated at Jann's.
 http://shop.reinkebro.com/Mustad-3366G-Lg-eye-rei-057.htm?categoryId=-1

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:07 AM »
After looking at your modified Northland Minnow Trap, I think I am going to do something similar to my Lindy Darter by adding a single hook and blade to the rear.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2018, 03:23 AM »

This is a modified Blue Fox Flash Jiggin Spoon. I supposed the original inspiration would have to be from Hildebrandt Flicker Spinner

To describe this, it's hardware made of a spinner blade on a swivel, plus a hook, plus two more tiny blades. 

The modification concept for the Blue Fox Flash Jiggin Spoon.  The slim profile of the jigging spoon here is what makes it attractive.  It's light weight at 1/32 oz. enough to sink yet neutral enough to flicker.  What I did is removed the tiny treble hook, reuse the split ring, and attached an Owner dropshot hook size 2.  Attached to those split rings are Spro power swivels size 10.  There are two concepts that I accomplished here: a free swiveling lure and a free swiveling hook.

It has been years that I've tested this set up from it's inception from prior 2010.  I admit it's not the most attractive set up and there's no hype about it.  It just plain works in a finesse situation.  It works as a dead stick presentation.  The intention of the dropshot hook is for live bait presentation.  The jigging spoon functions as the flash attraction.  All together it gets the job done in a finesse way.

The modification also functions better than the original.  For such a slim spoon, the treble somewhat effects the overall flutter with some drag.  By removing the treble and adding those power swivels, the jigging presentation shows more action.

Overall if I were to modify the Hildebrandt Flicker Spinner, I would put a swivel to the hook.  Yes I would copy the same set up that I modified for the Blue Fox Flash Jiggin Spoon.  Yet since the Hildegrandt Flicker Spinner works just as it is, I haven't a need to.

In conclusion, it's a winner design.  I have not had a single fish unbutton from the hook.  Keeping in mind it's a light wire hook.  Crappies, Perch, Walleyes, and Channel Catfish have been iced.  Modification accomplished.

To current date 2018, it seems Blue Fox no longer makes the spoon.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2018, 04:08 AM »

There secret is out...my secret lure that really is nothing but a conglomerate of hardware made of swivels, split rings, and blades.

The modification concept I was after is that of multiple fish scales as a secret weapon.  Free fall and it's a lazy drop that does really nothing.  All those blades merely bump and fight each other.

Now on the drop tap jigging technique, multiple blades flair up and clang and bang creating sonic waves of vibration.  Yet it does nothing to get a fish to bite it.  Such that we are back to baiting the lure with some meat, preferably just a chunk of a minnow.

When I put this together prior to 2010, it was before ice season, before Christmas.  I admit the lure reminded me of a Christmas tree of blades.  Such that in the back of my mind I was naming this "Dinglebells lure" after jingle bells.  The key success of this conception is swivel at top and swivel at bottom before the hook.  The original blue print was just four blades.  It didn't do much and somewhat likes to spin.  I up the blades to six but it seem off balanced some in appearance.  Finally at eight blades, it looks good, appears slender enough.

In conclusion, it's neither a winner nor a failure.  It's a distraction.  All those blades does mean that a fish bite doesn't always lead to a solid hook up.  I surmise it's the hook points pressed against one of the blades or too much hardware and things are caught in the teeth.  If the baited hook is the only thing in the fish's mouth, yes it hooks up.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2018, 11:56 AM »

Here's another modification concept for finessing.  Again there's nothing wrong with the original Mepps Syclops spoon.  Only that OEM hardware were rather heavy split rings and the siwash hook was too heavy for light biters.  I replaced with a smaller split ring and used size 12 VMC round bend treble hooks.  One other problem or blessing was that on the free fall these lures planes away to easily outside of the sonar cone.  These are size 00 spoons of weights 1/6th oz standard and 1/16th oz trolling version.

The effect here is flapping an exact shadow clone, of a contrast.  This is accomplished by having two identical spoons, yet one is actually a casting version, while the other is actually a trolling version.  I did try with the thin lure in the back position but settled with it on the front position.  While the free fall becomes erratic, this setup has more control on it.

Seems like the trolling version of the Mepps Syclops spoon was renamed as Bantam Syclops Single Hook

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 26, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Where do yo get the fairy spoons? I also like the swivels to tie to instead of having to tie to the split ring. I like the K & E Fairy Jigs but not having to split the spoons apart to tie through the split ring. Your swivel eliminates that issue.
jbird68

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Where do yo get the fairy spoons? I also like the swivels to tie to instead of having to tie to the split ring. I like the K & E Fairy Jigs but not having to split the spoons apart to tie through the split ring. Your swivel eliminates that issue.
Those tiny blades comes from various lures or spare lure crafting packages.  I had bought a bunch from Jann's net craft.  I will say stuff from Jann's are cheap and tarnish easy.  Sometimes it's an old lure destroyed by an angry fish.  Sometimes it's a lure I find discarded on the banks of a ceded river or shores of a lake downed level.  Sometimes it's that clearance lure that stores just want to be rid of.  The parts are recycled into by garage doctor pile. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Those tiny blades comes from various lures or spare lure crafting packages.  I had bought a bunch from Jann's net craft.  I will say stuff from Jann's are cheap and tarnish easy.  Sometimes it's an old lure destroyed by an angry fish.  Sometimes it's a lure I find discarded on the banks of a ceded river or shores of a lake downed level.  Sometimes it's that clearance lure that stores just want to be rid of.  The parts are recycled into by garage doctor pile.

We must be related slippery, I can't throw any piece-parts away. Got a barrel full of busted/cheapie rods, boxes and bins of beads, blades etc., old lead gets remelted...

@jbird68: my favorite source for most of my new parts is Lure Parts Online (LPO) formerly Stamina Tackle. Here's a link to their tiny willow blades:http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Willowleaf-Blades/Extra-Small-0-0-Willowleaf-Blades.html.

When you shop metallic finishes, brass will tarnish as will real silver and copper without a lacquer finish. Nickel will not and real gold will not. The reflective properties of these are different despite their similar appearance where silver and gold are brighter than their nickel and brass counterparts. Of course real gold and silver is a premium priced item.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I also admit to collecting glitter stuff from party packages at one time when I was a kid.  My parents tossed those all away along with all those craft accessories.

I always wanted stars, moons, heart shapes, on my lures....LOL.  Oh and those rhinestones... ;D  colorful ones too.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:03 AM »
is there a size split ring you are using on the spoons, I think I am going to try this

thanks for posting

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Rhinestones. I bought a big assortment of those nail "gems". No, my orientation is pretty conventional...

They do make nice eyes for jigs though. Color changes when your angle of view changes.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:25 PM »
is there a size split ring you are using on the spoons, I think I am going to try this

thanks for posting

The split rings use are typically size 0 or 00.  They're tiny and split ring pliers don't normally fit inside ring.  The work around is I split it just enough to slide edge of blade or eye of swivel in.  The use a fine needle nose pliers to work the ring around.

A lot of times the parts are from other lures.  Size is all eyeball to aesthetics.

******†*****************************************************
@ Esox

I always wanted a fully rhinestones covered spoon....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2018, 08:32 PM »

Anyone who'd tried tailspin lures knows about the line tangled mess.  I fixed that with  little metal wire for lures.  Now the spinning blades will only clang up against the metal drum sticks and dinner bell ring call.

Evaluation: success.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2018, 05:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, I bought some split rings and added some blades I bought when I made some slip bobbers this summer.

I have a quick connect on my pole so should be easy to connect to the split ring

need to buy some pliers also, hard to open the small rings

just need some ice in our area

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Dec 30, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Thanks for the info, I bought some split rings and added some blades I bought when I made some slip bobbers this summer.

I have a quick connect on my pole so should be easy to connect to the split ring

need to buy some pliers also, hard to open the small rings

just need some ice in our area

I used to use the smallest flat head screw driver, like the ones for eyeglass kits.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:44 AM »
I work with a ton of split rings mostly large but sometimes very tiny. Xuron makes the best ones I've ever used. They are around $15 but I've bought 'em for under $12. Got 3 or four pair around. When I get home I'll have to see how small they'll work on. https://xuron.com/index.php/main/consumer_products/5/48

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2018, 01:23 PM »
I work with a ton of split rings mostly large but sometimes very tiny. Xuron makes the best ones I've ever used. They are around $15 but I've bought 'em for under $12. Got 3 or four pair around. When I get home I'll have to see how small they'll work on. https://xuron.com/index.php/main/consumer_products/5/48

Wow, nice, thanks.  I may have to get some.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2018, 02:54 PM »
If you gimme a coupla days I can tell you the smallest ring they will handle. I'm away from the workshop until Tuesday sometime.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:13 PM »

@ Esox

I always wanted a fully rhinestones covered spoon....

What kinda spoon you thinkin' about slippery?  :whistle:

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:30 AM »
Who sells all these tiny blades ? I would like to try them on swedish pimples for brook trout .

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Who sells all these tiny blades ? I would like to try them on swedish pimples for brook trout .

I bought mine on lurepartsonline.com
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:13 AM »

See Reply #37 in this thread for a link to LPO...

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 31, 2018, 09:55 AM »
What kinda spoon you thinkin' about slippery?  :whistle:

Shhh...I might have (to convince) my daughter do the bedazzling on some spoon lures.  ;)

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:13 PM »
Sweeeet Pimple Sickness

(Image removed from quote.)

Trying to up my pimple problems...catching more and more fish.

i like this, >:D i may have to pimp my pimples.

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Thank you for showing me where the link was ! my next question is what size blade for the #2 or smallest swedish pimple ? I assume it would be the smallest , but what number is that ?  THANKS

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Jan 01, 2019, 12:22 AM »
Thank you for showing me where the link was ! my next question is what size blade for the #2 or smallest swedish pimple ? I assume it would be the smallest , but what number is that ?  THANKS
For the tiny blades, 0 or 0/0 size. 

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies to my questions ! I am going to put some blades on a couple different jigging spoons .

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 01, 2019, 09:56 AM »
I have a small ball bearing swivel tied to my line, then the swivel is attached to a quick connect

yesterday I changed spoons, not sure I like the little quick connect to the split ring, it looked like it could come out

I thought this setup would work pretty good expect the little quick disconnect I bought

what are you guys using, does this set-up sound ok

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Jan 01, 2019, 07:43 PM »
I have a small ball bearing swivel tied to my line, then the swivel is attached to a quick connect

yesterday I changed spoons, not sure I like the little quick connect to the split ring, it looked like it could come out

I thought this setup would work pretty good expect the little quick disconnect I bought

what are you guys using, does this set-up sound ok

I've had stuff come off the fast-snaps, so I rely on locking snaps.  Even then it's still possible for the locks to become undone on some very angry fish.  On very rare situation, I've had  a fish somehow wiggle the lure off the split ring.  Imagine that.

Anyway, I'm find that the safety pin type of snaps are easily undone.  Both the weedless version and the interlocking snaps.  The next snaps that I like are standard duo-lock snaps or the Berkley cross lock snaps.  They hold well.  For larger snaps, I've always found that coast lock snaps hold well. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:22 PM »
OK, I checked my Xuron split ring pliers on the smallest ones I had, Xtra Fine #1 and there was plenty of room to work. In fact that is the size I've been swinging the fairy wings from  ;)

I thought I had some #0 but I can't put my hands on 'em right now. They should work on those too. #00 might be more of a challenge but hey, you can't have everything.

As far as snaps go I like 'em and hate 'em at the same time. Cheapie snaps that lock in the little stamped metal piece are out, I've had DuoLocks open up and cost me fish and lures, CrossLok, StringEase and CoastLocks can be heavy wired and won't fit some very small stuff and sometimes even the FastSnaps won't fit the tiniest jigs. All of the above can be weed catchers so I avoid them when I can.

Started playing with SPRO SplitSnaps last year and found a lot to like. Not weed catchers, almost impossible to open up and very low profile. Still, to run Jigging Raps/Shiver Minnows and the like I have to use a bit larger than I'd like so it's kind of a trade off. Using the FastSnaps for pannie jigs when I can and find that #2 will break long before one of those opens up. Wild card is the Mustad Fastach gizmos. I've used 'em to drop trebles from spoons but not as a "snap" which was really their intended use. I can see them as weed catchers so I expect an experiment with them to be brief. See SplitSnap below:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.