The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Shaft Length  (Read 1806 times)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Auger Shaft Length
« on: Dec 09, 2006, 04:29 PM »
Well, I am going to buy a new auger, and was wondering about shaft length. I see that Nils Master makes a 42" shaft. I am 5 foot 7, would I benefit greatly by a shorter auger shaft, or wouldn't the length really matter too much? What other companies make shorter shafted augers?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Auger Shaft Length
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2006, 08:21 PM »
How long are the shorter ones? Can you get extentions for the shorter shaft? I would hate to be stuck with too short of a shaft and no access to extentions. 42'' should get you through the ice around here no problem, but some winters 30'' may not be enough. :) we can hope :D

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Yeah, my main problem, as I said- is being 5 foot 7. I don't really want an auger that goes up to my eyebrows. Yeah, one would figure 42" should be plenty. What is industry standard- 48"?

trapperdirk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2006, 12:27 AM »
Industry standard is 42 " I believe and only auger that is longer that I'm aware of is the Nils  and they are the only ones who make two lengths of augers . At 5' 7'' your likely better off going to the Nils short version which is the same as any eskimo,jiffy or strikemaster . I went with the original long version of Nils but I'm 6' 1'' and always end up most seasons drilling 36" depth of holes and sometimes bottoming at 42" so the longer shaft I think will suit me better and the extra length I don't think will be an issue . In your case being a wee bit challenged in height I think the shorter version of the Nils will suit you better I would think . ;) ;D

TD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.