Author Topic: LP Tanks - Refil or Exchange?  (Read 5241 times)

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LP Tanks - Refil or Exchange?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:58 AM »
Exchanges are currently $22 here, but I guess I’m one that didn’t know they didn’t FILL the tanks. I’ll be checking into this further!

Gotta admit, I'm with POK3s on this one.  Always thought that I was getting 20 lbs on the exchanges.  The is a gas station that can fill tanks near me - may have to look into this. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2023, 10:12 AM »

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Here’s the other company around me available for exchange. Same story. PRI**S

Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2023, 01:02 PM »
The only time I do an exchange is when my 20# tank no longer meets the standards for a refill.  The exchange places can only use tanks that meet current standards so you give them your old junk one and get a new for the $20 and then fill that up at tractor supply.

I'd also suggest a 5# tank for ice fishing.  You will save money in one season versus 1lb green bottles.  You get 5 green bottles in the 5# tank and cost the price of 1 green bottle to fill.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Soybean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2023, 01:59 PM »
I learned something today. Thanks. Now, If I can only remember.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2023, 02:02 PM »
The only time I do an exchange is when my 20# tank no longer meets the standards for a refill.  The exchange places can only use tanks that meet current standards so you give them your old junk one and get a new for the $20 and then fill that up at tractor supply.

I'd also suggest a 5# tank for ice fishing.  You will save money in one season versus 1lb green bottles.  You get 5 green bottles in the 5# tank and cost the price of 1 green bottle to fill.

Been using the 5#er for a few years now. I think it was like $6 when I filled it last.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Been using the 5#er for a few years now. I think it was like $6 when I filled it last.
i didnt like the 5#er it was unstable,toppled easily on ice so i went the 20#er with a long hose adapter to supply heater and grill sounds heavy but we used to fish 6am to 6 pm on another note our cracker plant is operational so u would think propane would be cheaper here,as another plant sits idle on a mountain of ng.p/s you can refill your 1#ers from the twenty amazon sells and economical adapter.
GOD BLESS
mo

LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:02 PM »
i didnt like the 5#er it was unstable,toppled easily on ice so i went the 20#er with a long hose adapter to supply heater and grill sounds heavy but we used to fish 6am to 6 pm on another note our cracker plant is operational so u would think propane would be cheaper here,as another plant sits idle on a mountain of ng.p/s you can refill your 1#ers from the twenty amazon sells and economical adapter.
GOD BLESS
mo
got this puppy as a back up 100#er
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:05 AM »
I have only exchanged one tank as the one I had needed to be recertified at a cost of $10.00.

I put my 20lb tanks in a milk crate to keep them from rolling around when I transport them.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:41 AM »
Dang!  Ive ice fished 25 times this season already and haven't needed to use a hut or heater!   ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline sinneD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2023, 12:56 AM »
Starting out from scratch would I be better off to buy a new empty tank than to buy an exchanged tank?

Check out Fb marketplace and CL first before you fork over the cash for an exchange tank. Even as an empty to trade in you will find better deals than the core deposit.

If you are going to refill cylinders, invest in a scale to weigh your green bottles. weigh them empty and then you will KNOW how much you put in.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:05 PM »
A lot of you should really do more research on the filling of tanks. They are filled the way they are not just for safety, they would not work if you filled them all the way. At best you would be putting liquid propane into your grill or heater and end up with a fire ball. Worse would be if the tank warms up even a little bit that safety relief valve is going to shoot liquid propane everywhere.

The standard fill for propane tanks is 80% of their capacity. This allows expansion of the liquid, as well as headroom for pressure changes from temperature. Propane tanks are filled by weight, that's why every place puts them on a scale. If you look at your tank, there should be a TW followed by a number. This is the tare weight, also known as the empty weight of your tank. Lets say your 20lb tank says TW 17.1. Your empty tank weighs 17.1 pounds. They have a capacity to hold about 20 pounds of propane, but with the 80% fill rule, they are filled with 16 pounds. So what the bait store or whoever fills your tank, they would fill your tank until the scale reads 33.1 pounds. It isn't a conspiracy or a scam. This is industry standard, and has been as long as I am aware of. All portable tanks today have an overfill protection float too, at least the ones that are supposed to be filled.

P.S. I get my 20lb tanks filled at a local place for $14. I then use them to refill my 5lb tank for the fishing heater. It gets filled with 4lbs of propane. It's kind of scary to see a thread like this considering how many people claim to refill those disposable 1lb cans that barely work the first time.
-Tom

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2023, 10:10 AM »
You get screwed out of 5Lbs of propane doing a exchange plus pay more.
Go to a propane gas place and get a 20# tank filled you get 20 Lbs. a exchange you pay more and only get 15#
They usually have a sign at the exchange place that says they are 15#'s

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 01, 2023, 11:13 AM »
It's kind of scary to see a thread like this considering how many people claim to refill those disposable 1lb cans that barely work the first time.
I like the 1 pounders because 2 sit inside in my Big Buddy and that's usually all I need so no reason to carry a hose and a tank.
I don't risk messing with refilling those disposables. But the ones from Flame King are certified for refill and transport and have a "full" valve that lets out liquid when you've filled it to capacity (which is probably at the 80% that you mention). No scale needed.
Also much quicker than using a pin to purge/weigh-purge/weigh on the dispobables.
I didn't bother with their "kit". You only need an adapter (many styles available on Ebay and Amazon). But I think they're the only ones that make the bottles. I have 4 here.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:54 PM »
The biggest exchange company out there got sued for shorting their customers on the 20lb exchange tanks. Now, if you look at the side of the cages you will see a discloser about the amount of propane you get with an exchange. I always go to Tractor Supply, they are the cheapest refill around me anyway.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:07 PM »
You get screwed out of 5Lbs of propane doing a exchange plus pay more.
Go to a propane gas place and get a 20# tank filled you get 20 Lbs. a exchange you pay more and only get 15#
They usually have a sign at the exchange place that says they are 15#'s

No you do not. If you get them filled you get 15 to 16 pounds of propane. It's always been that way.
-Tom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:14 PM »
I like the 1 pounders because 2 sit inside in my Big Buddy and that's usually all I need so no reason to carry a hose and a tank.
I don't risk messing with refilling those disposables. But the ones from Flame King are certified for refill and transport and have a "full" valve that lets out liquid when you've filled it to capacity (which is probably at the 80% that you mention). No scale needed.
Also much quicker than using a pin to purge/weigh-purge/weigh on the dispobables.
I didn't bother with their "kit". You only need an adapter (many styles available on Ebay and Amazon). But I think they're the only ones that make the bottles. I have 4 here.

And that's fine. Those tanks are certified for multiple use, they are designed to be refilled. It isn't so much that the filling of 1# tanks scares me, it's that apparently so many people are completely ignorant about filling propane that is the problem. It's not rocket science, but we are dealing with a very volatile liquid that sits at 100 to 200 psi in a tank at all times. It's appalling to me that in one thread there are a dozen guys that talk about how safe a buddy heater is, and how dangerous a sunflower is, and then in this thread there are a dozen guys pissed that they aren't getting 20# of propane in a 20# tank.  It seems to me the only real danger is the ignorance of what they are using.
-Tom

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:36 PM »
Save a few bucks, who cares if it kills you? :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:20 PM »
And that's fine. Those tanks are certified for multiple use, they are designed to be refilled. It isn't so much that the filling of 1# tanks scares me, it's that apparently so many people are completely ignorant about filling propane that is the problem. It's not rocket science, but we are dealing with a very volatile liquid that sits at 100 to 200 psi in a tank at all times. It's appalling to me that in one thread there are a dozen guys that talk about how safe a buddy heater is, and how dangerous a sunflower is, and then in this thread there are a dozen guys pissed that they aren't getting 20# of propane in a 20# tank.  It seems to me the only real danger is the ignorance of what they are using.

Better talk to your propane guy I'm no expert but fill is much closer to 20 than 16. Claiming everyone else is ignorant doesn't make you right

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:19 PM »
50 posts in a week, I'll get the refreshments...

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2023, 01:36 PM »
Oh boy i stepped in here and now stepping out..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2023, 02:50 PM »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:09 PM »
No you do not. If you get them filled you get 15 to 16 pounds of propane. It's always been that way.

Wrong a 20# tank is designed to hold 20 Lbs. @ 80% full.

I have 3 - 1Lb. flame king refillable cans but still need to get the 20 Lber. filled to refill them. Last time I filled a 20# is was around $15
And yes I did notice the disclaimer at the 20# exchange cage, sign says 15 Lbs. You are conveniently getting screwed out of 5 Lbs. plus paying more.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2023, 12:21 PM »

Awww c'mon guys! It's fun in here  ;D Plenty of popcorn to go around...  :o
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:35 PM »
Awww c'mon guys! It's fun in here  ;D Plenty of popcorn to go around...  :o

I'm not even sure if these guys are screwing with me anymore. I guess I'll just let Darwin sort it out.
-Tom

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:49 PM »
I'm not even sure if these guys are screwing with me anymore. I guess I'll just let Darwin sort it out.

Again arrogance doesn't mean you're right. You wanna call U-Haul and tell them they're wrong? Did blue rhino get away with selling overfilled tanks for years?

https://www.uhaul.com/Tips/Propane/Propane-Refill-Vs-Exchange-9218/

https://bluerhino.com/propane-info/faqs/buying-blue-rhino-tanks-faqs/how-much-propane-does-blue-rhino-put-in-its-tanks#

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 03, 2023, 10:56 PM »
The U-haul link makes another good point about if your tank isn't really empty you get to keep and use what was still in there.
I'm very glad for this thread. Thank you all. I'll never do the exchange again (unless an emergency).

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 04, 2023, 08:33 AM »
The U-haul link makes another good point about if your tank isn't really empty you get to keep and use what was still in there.
I'm very glad for this thread. Thank you all. I'll never do the exchange again (unless an emergency).

Do the exchange when your tank's date is beyond the 12 year date-stamp mark on the tank.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2023, 09:09 PM »
First time filling my Flame King 1lbers today. So easy and fast.
Well worth the money over risking it trying to vent/refill/weigh disposables, imho.
Be safe out there.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:47 PM »
Just took a fresh 20# exchange to my local propane dealer. 4# was added. There ya' go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.