Author Topic: Finally safe ice  (Read 2019 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Finally safe ice
« on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:44 PM »
Found 3 to 3.5 inches of safe ice today. With no snow cover, bite was tough on shallow clear lake. Avoided the skunk though.

That zone closes for winter tomorrow night, so likely going to be 2-3 weeks until I may be able to find safe ice again. Glad I got this one in :)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Finally safe ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 06:42 PM »
Heck yeah!  Always good to get that 1st one
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2022, 03:09 PM »
Nice perch Phil.  👍👍
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Nice!

WS

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2022, 03:33 AM »
How far are you up there Phil? Looks like a decent perch.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:19 PM »
How far are you up there Phil? Looks like a decent perch.

About 65 miles North of Montreal, maybe a couple thousand feet elevation.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Out of curiosity why do they close zones in winter?  I understand some ponds like NY does with the adirondack brookie lakes but a shallow clear perch lake doesn't make practical sense.
westernmas on the finder

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2022, 02:16 PM »
Likely different reasons for different zones. We have a few hundred thousand lakes and rivers, pretty much all wild trout and char species are closed in winter, with very few exceptions. Guessing too much to monitor. 

In the regions I fish outside Montreal, the majority of populated lakes in cottage country are closed. Maybe a combination of protecting fish, and locals not wanting their lakes to turn into sh*t shows. Almost all of them have rules prohibiting visitor boats in summer as well, been a big fiasco with govt since the 1980's.

Further away, there are some open zones in less populated areas, but most of wildlife parks close in winter as well. Rules from zone to zone are extremely incoherent, they switch from entire zones being closed with a few open exceptions, to zones being open with hundreds of lakes closed by exception.

In a nutshell, better have a really good idea of where you are going before heading out.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2022, 03:34 PM »
Likely different reasons for different zones. We have a few hundred thousand lakes and rivers, pretty much all wild trout and char species are closed in winter, with very few exceptions. Guessing too much to monitor. 

In the regions I fish outside Montreal, the majority of populated lakes in cottage country are closed. Maybe a combination of protecting fish, and locals not wanting their lakes to turn into sh*t shows. Almost all of them have rules prohibiting visitor boats in summer as well, been a big fiasco with govt since the 1980's.

Further away, there are some open zones in less populated areas, but most of wildlife parks close in winter as well. Rules from zone to zone are extremely incoherent, they switch from entire zones being closed with a few open exceptions, to zones being open with hundreds of lakes closed by exception.

In a nutshell, better have a really good idea of where you are going before heading out.

Thanks that seems unnecessarily complicated but the provinces are much larger than most states so i'm sure it is hard to manage.  Heck I can drive 3 minutes, end up in a new state and need to pay another $55 in license fees to be able access that water and that state comes with its totally own regulations.  Drive an hour west another $50 and same with an hour+ north.
westernmas on the finder

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Thanks that seems unnecessarily complicated but the provinces are much larger than most states so i'm sure it is hard to manage.  Heck I can drive 3 minutes, end up in a new state and need to pay another $55 in license fees to be able access that water and that state comes with its totally own regulations.  Drive an hour west another $50 and same with an hour+ north.

I have about 10-12 waterbodies that I like to fish at least once every winter, and try to mix in 1 or 2 new ones as well. Mainly within a 2 hour drive from my house, which encompasses 6 possible zones in Quebec, and 2 in Ontario. Have season licenses in both provinces. Usually stick with daily or weekly license when I'm visiting the US, though I currently have a yearly Florida as well, as my daughter and family live there now. Have done NY, VT, VA, TX and CO too. So I've read quite a few rulebooks.

Sadly, Quebec is the most archaic, incoherent, and poorly managed of them all, by far.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2022, 04:50 PM »
I love that brookie. Absolute beast.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2022, 05:04 PM »
I love that brookie. Absolute beast.

Ditto :)

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2022, 08:21 PM »
Nice perch.
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.