Author Topic: Pflueger President inline  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pflueger President inline
« on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Any reviews out on these?  Not a fan of the freefall, might be just me but my line comes out of the spool on the side.  I have the freefall speed set good but it comes out the side from line twist or something.  More on my Ghost then betty. 

I like the Pflueger President spinning reels wondering if the inline is a sure bet?

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pflueger President inline
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:11 AM »
I got one a few weeks ago. My only complaint is how close they put the trigger to the base/foot of the stem. Otherwise its a nice reel, drag is smooth as silk.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:19 AM »
Any reviews out on these?  Not a fan of the freefall, might be just me but my line comes out of the spool on the side.  I have the freefall speed set good but it comes out the side from line twist or something.  More on my Ghost then betty. 

I like the Pflueger President spinning reels wondering if the inline is a sure bet?

Interesting the issues you talk of were what I ran into with about every in-line I had. Eagle claw, BB6061, pfluger, tear drop, free fall. If you find a decent one that works let me know. If I need an in-line I just use my st croix baitcasting ice rod with an Abu bait caster on it.

I gave up on them and sold every inline I have. Except for a few schooley and fly reels for shallow panfish.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:02 AM »
Are you using to heavy line? I had a Black Betty and hated it so bad I threw it down the hole! I moment of stupidity I bought a Fishing 13 in-line at Gander when everything was super cheap, I put 3# fluoro on it and it seems to be ok. Time will tell. The Boinging Betty was 4#. Try putting the line in hot water when you put it on, I learned that in I. S. and it’s a great tip.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Are you using to heavy line? I had a Black Betty and hated it so bad I threw it down the hole! I moment of stupidity I bought a Fishing 13 in-line at Gander when everything was super cheap, I put 3# fluoro on it and it seems to be ok. Time will tell. The Boinging Betty was 4#. Try putting the line in hot water when you put it on, I learned that in I. S. and it’s a great tip.

I had 2# line up to 8# line. Tried braid....Finally after screwing around a few years...I thought.....why...why am I messing with these......the freaking lure still spins anyways, the reel is lopsided for weight, the trigger systems suck, the line management sucks, and I can get a heck of a spinning reel for 1\4th the cost.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:35 PM »
Yeah I’m still on the in-line reels suck side too.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Yeah I’m still on the in-line reels suck side too.

The free fall woulda been good. Balance was good.....drag great.......but that mother #$%&ing trigger is the worst....hit it numerous times when hooking reeling in fish before it went in the brown box.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:49 PM »
I bought one for this season. Very heavy compared to the other inlines I have. As stated, the trigger is very close to the stem. It hinders my grip but I might get used to it.  Seems very well made like the President series spinning reels I have for open water fishing.

But I don't think I'll buy another; depends on how it actually fishes in the field rather than the couch.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:50 PM »
I bought one for this season. Very heavy compared to the other inlines I have. As stated, the trigger is very close to the stem. It hinders my grip but I might get used to it.  Seems very well made like the President series spinning reels I have for open water fishing.

But I don't think I'll buy another; depends on how it actually fishes in the field rather than the couch.

If u pistol grip for panfish it is fine......other then that.....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03:51 PM »
Aah...the good ol' Schooleys. Love mine. No muss, no fuss. Bluegills like it.  ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Aah...the good ol' Schooleys. Love mine. No muss, no fuss. Bluegills like it.  ;D

I actually just ordered a little 21" Schooley today... haven't used one in ages, but I had a nostalgic hankering. Figure it might work well as a second rod on slow days that's less hassle than putting a normal one in a rod holder, since they have thier own little stand.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Thanks.   Might hold off.   Have tried 2 and 4lb on my ghost.  Still messes up...Try the warm water trick.  Not holding my breath.

I too, bought a couple Schooley's last year.  Funny I had some sitting in my garage for 15 years and threw them out, then a year later started ice fishing...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline nindo24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:14 PM »

I didn't realize they still made those.
Keep Your Stick On The Ice!

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2021, 06:25 PM »

I just received a Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel it is a big improvement over the Piscifun ICX reel I bought last year.
The drag is nice for lighter line and it also has a magnetic drop system like a bait casting reel and 8 BB.. On sale now on Amazon.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:00 PM »

In shallow 10ft or less those are thee ultimate pan fish rod. I have two HT with noodle tips I use a lot. Nice slow retrieve so the light line doesn't break. No twist.....no line jumping off.

I'm actually surprised nobody is making a high end schooly reel that's metal with a good drag system & charging $50.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2021, 12:56 AM »
Apologies in advance for the minor thread disrailment folks.  Semi-pertinent anyway...  as the Piscifun inline reels ARE some of the best out there at any price, but by FAR the best deals once you consider the low cost and high quality (the original model ICX is going for only $40 now!!!).

I just received a Piscifun ICX Carbon Ice Fishing Reel it is a big improvement over the Piscifun ICX reel I bought last year.
The drag is nice for lighter line and it also has a magnetic drop system like a bait casting reel and 8 BB.. On sale now on Amazon.

Mate!  I just learned about this new Piscifun reel yesterday and have one on the way myself (saw a stray picture of it in some of their advertising a few weeks back, been watching for its release since).

Since you seem to be the only one with it so far ;), any chance for a tear down thread (ala https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378607) or some sort of short review with pics, etc?  ;D :thumbsup:
Tight lines!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2021, 03:54 AM »
I'm not seeing too many reviews on the Pflueger but...the one from Ellen Archery keeps popping up. Interesting. I've not heard of this one until now,
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2021, 06:56 PM »
Apologies in advance for the minor thread disrailment folks.  Semi-pertinent anyway...  as the Piscifun inline reels ARE some of the best out there at any price, but by FAR the best deals once you consider the low cost and high quality (the original model ICX is going for only $40 now!!!).

Mate!  I just learned about this new Piscifun reel yesterday and have one on the way myself (saw a stray picture of it in some of their advertising a few weeks back, been watching for its release since).

Since you seem to be the only one with it so far ;), any chance for a tear down thread (ala https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=378607) or some sort of short review with pics, etc?  ;D :thumbsup:

The drag looks like it is basically the same as the ICX's It has a CNC aluminum outer frame and Spool. Thee stem is straighter also.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2021, 07:49 PM »
The drag looks like it is basically the same as the ICX's It has a CNC aluminum outer frame and Spool. Thee stem is straighter also.

Replied to you in the new ICX Carbon thread I just started: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=385861.0
Tight lines!

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2021, 03:43 PM »
Just set up a new Pflueger inline and noticed a few things without fishing with it yet.

1. The 5.0:1 gear ratio is fast, probably to fast. A person will have to be very slow bring up fish from deep water without damaging them. It's 35" of retrieve per crank of the reel. For reference the 13 Fishing Free Fall gear ratio is 2.5:1.

2. Single paddle handle wants to fall to the "down" position when you stop reeling, a double paddle handle as the counterweight might stop that. It doesn't sound like a big deal until you look back at #1. A half a reel turn is 17.5" of retrieve. So if you stop with the crank handle a fuzz past straight up where you want the bait it will fall to the down position moving the bait up 17.5" so it may be a bit frustrating.

Hope to use it this weekend!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2021, 04:19 PM »
Just set up a new Pflueger inline and noticed a few things without fishing with it yet.

1. The 5.0:1 gear ratio is fast, probably to fast. A person will have to be very slow bring up fish from deep water without damaging them. It's 35" of retrieve per crank of the reel. For reference the 13 Fishing Free Fall gear ratio is 2.5:1.

2. Single paddle handle wants to fall to the "down" position when you stop reeling, a double paddle handle as the counterweight might stop that. It doesn't sound like a big deal until you look back at #1. A half a reel turn is 17.5" of retrieve. So if you stop with the crank handle a fuzz past straight up where you want the bait it will fall to the down position moving the bait up 17.5" so it may be a bit frustrating.

Hope to use it this weekend!

Thanks for this info!  That makes it a hard pass for me, I already was doubting a purchase of one of these.  Don't want to hijack the thread, but...as far as barotrauma goes, I don't think you can reel slowly to prevent that.  An In-Fisherman video I recently watched explained that you'd have to bring the fish up over a matter of many minutes to prevent the problem.  Best thing to do is keep every fish from deep until you got what you want to eat then move on to shallower spots.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2021, 05:45 PM »
It's 35" of retrieve per crank of the reel.
Whoa!  :o  That's faster (more inches per turn) than a lot of spinning reels!
Tight lines!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2021, 06:15 PM »
I love my in-line reels even though they can be finnicky at time.  Mostly just catch perch, bluegills and crappie on them, lots of fun.  Landed some big surprise trout on them, so they can handle bigger fish.  I cannot handle 2#, stick with #3 or better yet 4#, always use fluorocarbon.  I just bought the Clam Gravity with the trigger as that was all they had in the store; not sure I wanted that trigger so much.  Looks like something to get line hung up on.  I have two Fish 13 Descents that are inexpensive for an inline and are awesome and two Fishing 8s that are pretty good too and inexpensive as I recall.  Anyhow you need to adjust the drag, the free spool tension and not reel the line in at an offset to the spool.  I like them because they are compact and fun to land fish with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.