The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Master adapter ruined my auger  (Read 5754 times)

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Master adapter ruined my auger
« on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Anyone here uses the IceMaster drill adapter for their Nils auger?  I used mine for a season and it ruined my auger. 

Reason you ask... it wobbles like hell!  Where the adapter fits over the nils auger shaft is a loose fit.  Therefore when the auger turns, every little bit of play between the adapter and the shaft gets amplified by the length and the weight of the cutter head.

I tried shimming the adapter but the design of the adapter has an inherent fault that only a design change can fix.  Icemaster don't have control on how each Nils is produced especially when it comes to paint thickness.  Nils doesn't have to quality issue due to variance in shaft sizes because the mating handle on the auger was designed such that consistency on the shaft size is not required.

Am I right in my assumption?  I am buying a new head for the auger and putting the handle back on.

I hope someone come up with a new design so I can continue to use my drill next season.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Master adapter ruined my auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Tanaka.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:45 PM »

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Agree....

So when you have a problem your Ford/GM/Ford/Honda/Toyota/Hyundai.  Do you immediately go buy a Royce Royce/Bentley/Aston Martin/ Mercedes/Ferrari?

Common guys I am asking if anyone has the same problem with their drill adapter on the Nils and if anyone else makes a better adapter.  Please tell me Tanaka sells just the drill adapter.

I don't want to spend $500 for a new head and if I do I will just get the IceGator anyway. :)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:52 PM »
So when you have a problem your Ford/GM/Ford/Honda/Toyota/Hyundai.  Do you immediately go buy a Royce Royce/Bentley/Aston Martin/ Mercedes/Ferrari?

Common guys I am asking if anyone has the same problem with their drill adapter on the Nils and if anyone else makes a better adapter.  Please tell me Tanaka sells just the drill adapter.

I don't want to spend $500 for a new head and if I do I will just get the IceGator anyway. :)

I had the Attacker/Nils setup.  Nice fast drill but and heavy.  Sold the Gator.  Own the Tanaka now.
No, I just drive a Chevy and a Ford Ranger these days.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:41 PM »
I got mine when I got the auger, way cheaper that way, 8" bit and motor with tax under $550. Most guys I know who have gotten adaptors were not right and had them made by a local machine shop or had access to a lathe and redid their own.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2011, 05:18 AM »
I have the icemaster adapter on my 6" Nils, even tho I don't need it. I bought it while I was waiting for my Nils to arrive, thinking it couldn't be that much easier than the Mora I had. Mora has been sold. That being said I have cut a grand total of 21 holes w/ it, all in one trip. Did it mess up your auger after you toook the adapter off? Or is it still attached?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Pretty sure there is a warning on most augers to not use them with drills.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.