Author Topic: Blade baits through the ice?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
Blade baits through the ice?
« on: Nov 24, 2019, 05:21 PM »
Has anyone ever jigged a steelshad, or similar blade bait, through the ice? What species did you target? Any success?

Was thinking some of the smaller 1/4oz versions night be good for lakers.
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blade baits through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2019, 08:54 PM »
I use the 1/2 oz Captain Jays blade baits for walleye - they do work!  Fish them by bouncing off bottom followed by a hard 2'-3' rip up then a slow drop back to bottom and hold it almost touching bottom for a few seconds then pop it up again.  Most hits will come on that pause but they'll nail it on the drop, too.  Great call baits.

Offline SHUBA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shuba
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2019, 09:06 PM »
 Agree with you Bucket Rump they at times do work very well
also blade baits work great for calling the eyes and perch in when fishing is slow
 when you start marking fish again and if they wont commit to the blade bait,
quickly real up and drop another set up down hole such as jigging rap ,spoon etc.
fish usually slam the new presentation on first drop
Shuba<br />Hardwater Fanatic

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2019, 08:40 AM »
sebile vibrato is best i have used. problems with blade baits is the hooks get hung up on the hole trying to ice a fish. the lakers tend to inhale them so if you are not keeping them you can really hurt the fish

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:20 AM »
sebile vibrato is best i have used. problems with blade baits is the hooks get hung up on the hole trying to ice a fish. the lakers tend to inhale them so if you are not keeping them you can really hurt the fish

DITTO....Sebille Vibrato is simply the best I know. I have not had too many problems with Lakers swallowing them, however. Perhaps that depends on the lake.

Most lakes by me tend to be finicky and the nice thing about a Vibrato is if they attempt to "nibble" the always get caught. I am not sure I remember not hooking a nibble - and I normally fish watching on my camera.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2019, 10:51 AM »
The original Cicadas  ;D

I no longer use them because it's not so much my style of fishing.  I also used the Damiki Vault blade bait too.  It's very small and compact.  The hooks are a bit on the tiny size as lure is quite small.

I was going to use a Binsky but decided not to.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2019, 11:12 AM »

I use Vibrato's as well, but again, for walleye - haven't tried either lure for lakers.  One thing I will say about those Vibrato's, though, is that glow paint they use is awesome good at holding a glow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.