The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch roe, a cautionary tale  (Read 29420 times)

Offline peter big bear 59

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Perch roe, a cautionary tale
« Reply #60 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:05 AM »
Great story, one of the funniest that I have ever read. Good luck in your culinary endeavors.
Peter Big Bear 59

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:46 AM »
  :clap: :roflmao:

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Sounds like a tale straight out of a Patrick McManus book!  Thanks for the chuckle!

Offline Jerms32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Hahaha great story. I've tried them myself a few different times. I'm not a big fan,but it really wasn't the taste it was the texture I couldn't get use too. I battered them in Andy's Cajun batter And deep fried them. My buddy always said you can batter a dog turd in that stuff and it'll taste good!!
The only way to know for sure,is to see it yourself

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for posting this I found this through the recipe page... I have 2 egg sacs soaking in milk right now... I will just throw them out. I don't have what it takes to eat this. I thought that the last time I cooked it about a year ago I just did something wrong... I cant imagine that this many people could cook it improperly and all have the same conclusion...

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:56 PM »
There was a recipe posted on montanaoutdoor.com last week that used them in a pasta. Haven't been brave enough to try yet

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:29 PM »
No one who walks on frozen water in pursuit of a fish should be afraid of a cluster of perch eggs.  As they ripen (next month or so) they become even tastier.  Roll 'em in seasoned flour and fry 'em up crisp (as I've mentioned before).  If they aren't cooked all the way through, you will hate them.

I'm no Andrew Zimmern, but I really do consider fried perch roe a treat!  :thumbsup:
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:45 PM »

Real men eat perch roe.

...and that is why I am a boy.
 :bow:

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:32 PM »

Real men eat perch roe.

...and that is why I am a boy.
 :bow:

Meee, tooo, buddy!  A couple years ago I was "gifted" a small mason jar containing 3-4 tablespoons of a milky, gelatinous substance with thousands of specks that looked like poppy seeds. The fella said it was paddlefish roe and that it was wonderful on crackers. After a week of trying to psyche myself up to try it, I had to just give it back to the guy in shame. I couldn't do it. He loved the stuff.
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 26, 2014, 01:38 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 06, 2014, 10:10 AM »
I had to resurrect this thread for my own selfish enjoyment.    ;D

Offline zb141991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:29 PM »
next time i get my buddies drunk there getting deep fried perch eggs

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:35 AM »
nothing better then fried perch eggs with a side of bacon and hash browns. eggs over easy please.
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #73 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:24 AM »
 :sick:

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #74 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:58 PM »
Whatever happened to Cornbread Andy?
  BE THERE!

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Ok boys time for the classic to be resurrected.  Who's gonna try them?  I, for one, will not.

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:05 PM »
I caught some pike the other week that had eggs in them...I thought for about a second about trying them.  A second is all though. 😆

Offline MrsUntouchable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Dec 28, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I made the mistake of trying to read this post at my office, and I burst out laughing so hard when a patient was walking by!

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 28, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Whatever happened to Cornbread Andy?
Andy is doing fine and still in W. MT. I don't think he has tried perch roe again.

Offline fishpak123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for the laughs . I now know what to serve  her mother when she comes over.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:22 PM »
Last night while filleting the days catch(perch) with family and friends I recalled a story on The Shanty. I guess why I thought of the "cautionary tale" was from the egg sack that I didn't cut thru while filleting. Anyway, I started laughing to myself and then mentioned the hilarious story.  This morning I did a search and reread the original thread and it was still as funny as the 1st time I read it. I felt it was worth replying to even tho it originated several years ago. So to all the new members in the past few years or to others that missed this thread, click page 1 and enjoy!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Tonight I was cleaning some perch my GF and I caught earlier in the day and as I was cleaning them I noticed that the way I clean perch means their roe sacks come out fully intact.

“Those kind of look tasty” I said to myself thinking back to salmon roe I have eaten in the past. “I wonder if they are edible?” So I sat down and Googled perch roe recipes and sure enough people said they are good but are “an acquired taste”. I am OK with fishy taste, and I have a really, really, really strong stomach. I can keep pretty much anything down, including bear steak where the bear has been eating fish, which most people can’t even touch without gagging.

So I figured I was a pretty good candidate for acquiring the taste for my new found delicacy. So from what I read they are best deep fried fresh until fully cooked all the way through. So I figured “why not? I’ll toss a few in a pot of hot oil and let them fry while I clean the others and then try them”.

I figured I would try four since they are small, and really what kind of man can’t bolt down four such tiny morsels even if they end up not tasting good, right?

I let them fry for a good long time until they were a deep golden brown. I took the first one out and sliced it in half. The consistency inside looked a bit like cooked pork sausage where the pork is finely ground. I blew on it a little, sniffed it and then popped it in my mouth.

Here were my initial thoughts:

Oh my!.....Oh yes!........I do believe……..yes, I’m positive…….this tastes exactly like the battalion bathrooms smelled after our entire platoon hit them after 60 days in the field during the Gulf War……only fishier.

Well I hate waste so I now was faced with 3.5 more of what can only be described as the culinary equivalent of a swift kick to nuts. Something so foul, it is actually painful to eat.

“I know” I thought “I’ll cover it in good Dijon mustard, that will hide the taste”. I quickly discovered two things. “A”, no it won’t, and “B”, it didn’t. It simply tasted like freeze dried exhaust fumes with Dijon mustard on them. Mmmmmmm Yummy!

Only three more to go.

The next one I tried putting a bunch of salt and pepper on because they kind of look like Chinese wontons so maybe I could fool my taste buds in to thinking they were salt and pepper wontons. Apparently my taste buds don’t care what a deep fried fish turd looks like; they still taste it as a salt and peppery fried fish turd.

Two more to go.

Well maybe if I roll this one in spicy Chinese mustard it will over power my taste buds and I won’t taste the liquid fish butt of the roe? This unexpectedly sort of worked, but I had to use so much hot mustard I was banging the table and crying “sweet love of petunias that stings” as my nose hairs fell out on the table. After the initial blast of mustard crying hotness….yep there it was……the unmistakable taste of that weapon of mass destruction known as perch roe.

One to go.

“How can anything so small, taste so awful?” I thought to myself as I stared down the final piece of fish death waiting quietly on my plate. “I mean those people on the internet who said it was tasty must have liked it……….oh wait”. And then it hit me, those people were probably old Norwegians.

You see I am Norwegian and I come from a background where at Christmas every year when I was little my older relatives would encourage me to “have just a little piece of Lutefisk” because they were sure “I would like it”. Every year, it was the exact same, it still tasted like somebody threw up in my mouth for me, then had me eat it, after they had, had fish earlier that day. I came to realize that my older relatives had gone through something I refer to affectionately as “Tastebudelpause” this is where you become so old that your taste buds no longer work at all. They have simply given up and died ahead of time and are just waiting for the rest of you to follow suit. This is the only possible explanation for how they can eat and enjoy Lutefisk. It must have been these same elderly Norwegians who had posted those perch roe recipes on the internet. Either that or it was somebody playing a really cruel joke on the rest of the internet world.

It is still there, looking at me, defying me to eat it. My stomach is sweating internally in silent encouragement for me to simply toss it in the garbage. No, I will not sink so low, I cooked it, I will eat it!

You know in the fishing regulations where it says “only inedible portions of game fish may be used for bait” or something along those lines? People are always saying “which parts are the inedible portions?”. I’m here to tell you folks, it is the roe of perch they are talking about, only it is so horrible tasting they cannot bring themselves to print those words or people will know they actually tried it once.

It is still there.

“OK Marine!” I say to myself “Time for you to just woof it down boot camp style and get this behind you”. So I do “Oh sweet spawn of all things dark and hideous” I think as the awful, thick taste of liquid fish butt once again passes over my taste buds and in to my stomach, which at this point thinks it has done something terribly wrong and is being punished for it. I try and assure it that no, it has done nothing wrong, because to deserve this level of punishment it would have had to have committed war crimes or something equally awful, no, this is simply a culinary trial gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Then mercifully it is all over, the final one has been consumed. I feel a sense of accomplishment; I too have eaten perch roe!!!! I feel like I should call someone and tell them I have done such an amazing thing, but no, I have a better idea……

………I am off to post a five star review on some of those perch roe recipes so others can enjoy them too ;)

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:26 PM »
I like making caviar.  I've made caviar from perch roe, and think it is just as good as caviar made from pike, lake trout, kokanee, and lake whitefish roe.

For some pictures and descriptions of making caviar, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20320.msg215096#msg215096.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:47 PM »
I like making caviar.  I've made caviar from perch roe, and think it is just as good as caviar made from pike, lake trout, kokanee, and lake whitefish roe.

For some pictures and descriptions of making caviar, see http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=20320.msg215096#msg215096.
yes I agree pete..but the point was not about the roe..but the fabulous well written story by andy...our hilarious..well spoken....awesomningly corn breadin marine.....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:56 PM »
Hes back!!! Lol:)

Offline cwagnerph7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 13, 2018, 02:25 AM »
Love when this gets resurrected each year! Still laugh every time.

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:39 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D funniest damn story ever lmao
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:15 PM »
Thanks for reposting this ccc. For some reason I had not seen that story prior to a few minutes ago. Made my day. I too had to hold back laughter while reading this in my office.   

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:19 PM »
Tonight I was cleaning some perch my GF and I caught earlier in the day and as I was cleaning them I noticed that the way I clean perch means their roe sacks come out fully intact.

“Those kind of look tasty” I said to myself thinking back to salmon roe I have eaten in the past. “I wonder if they are edible?” So I sat down and Googled perch roe recipes and sure enough people said they are good but are “an acquired taste”. I am OK with fishy taste, and I have a really, really, really strong stomach. I can keep pretty much anything down, including bear steak where the bear has been eating fish, which most people can’t even touch without gagging.

So I figured I was a pretty good candidate for acquiring the taste for my new found delicacy. So from what I read they are best deep fried fresh until fully cooked all the way through. So I figured “why not? I’ll toss a few in a pot of hot oil and let them fry while I clean the others and then try them”.

I figured I would try four since they are small, and really what kind of man can’t bolt down four such tiny morsels even if they end up not tasting good, right?

I let them fry for a good long time until they were a deep golden brown. I took the first one out and sliced it in half. The consistency inside looked a bit like cooked pork sausage where the pork is finely ground. I blew on it a little, sniffed it and then popped it in my mouth.

Here were my initial thoughts:

Oh my!.....Oh yes!........I do believe……..yes, I’m positive…….this tastes exactly like the battalion bathrooms smelled after our entire platoon hit them after 60 days in the field during the Gulf War……only fishier.

Well I hate waste so I now was faced with 3.5 more of what can only be described as the culinary equivalent of a swift kick to nuts. Something so foul, it is actually painful to eat.

“I know” I thought “I’ll cover it in good Dijon mustard, that will hide the taste”. I quickly discovered two things. “A”, no it won’t, and “B”, it didn’t. It simply tasted like freeze dried exhaust fumes with Dijon mustard on them. Mmmmmmm Yummy!

Only three more to go.

The next one I tried putting a bunch of salt and pepper on because they kind of look like Chinese wontons so maybe I could fool my taste buds in to thinking they were salt and pepper wontons. Apparently my taste buds don’t care what a deep fried fish turd looks like; they still taste it as a salt and peppery fried fish turd.

Two more to go.

Well maybe if I roll this one in spicy Chinese mustard it will over power my taste buds and I won’t taste the liquid fish butt of the roe? This unexpectedly sort of worked, but I had to use so much hot mustard I was banging the table and crying “sweet love of petunias that stings” as my nose hairs fell out on the table. After the initial blast of mustard crying hotness….yep there it was……the unmistakable taste of that weapon of mass destruction known as perch roe.

One to go.

“How can anything so small, taste so awful?” I thought to myself as I stared down the final piece of fish death waiting quietly on my plate. “I mean those people on the internet who said it was tasty must have liked it……….oh wait”. And then it hit me, those people were probably old Norwegians.

You see I am Norwegian and I come from a background where at Christmas every year when I was little my older relatives would encourage me to “have just a little piece of Lutefisk” because they were sure “I would like it”. Every year, it was the exact same, it still tasted like somebody threw up in my mouth for me, then had me eat it, after they had, had fish earlier that day. I came to realize that my older relatives had gone through something I refer to affectionately as “Tastebudelpause” this is where you become so old that your taste buds no longer work at all. They have simply given up and died ahead of time and are just waiting for the rest of you to follow suit. This is the only possible explanation for how they can eat and enjoy Lutefisk. It must have been these same elderly Norwegians who had posted those perch roe recipes on the internet. Either that or it was somebody playing a really cruel joke on the rest of the internet world.

It is still there, looking at me, defying me to eat it. My stomach is sweating internally in silent encouragement for me to simply toss it in the garbage. No, I will not sink so low, I cooked it, I will eat it!

You know in the fishing regulations where it says “only inedible portions of game fish may be used for bait” or something along those lines? People are always saying “which parts are the inedible portions?”. I’m here to tell you folks, it is the roe of perch they are talking about, only it is so horrible tasting they cannot bring themselves to print those words or people will know they actually tried it once.

It is still there.

“OK Marine!” I say to myself “Time for you to just woof it down boot camp style and get this behind you”. So I do “Oh sweet spawn of all things dark and hideous” I think as the awful, thick taste of liquid fish butt once again passes over my taste buds and in to my stomach, which at this point thinks it has done something terribly wrong and is being punished for it. I try and assure it that no, it has done nothing wrong, because to deserve this level of punishment it would have had to have committed war crimes or something equally awful, no, this is simply a culinary trial gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Then mercifully it is all over, the final one has been consumed. I feel a sense of accomplishment; I too have eaten perch roe!!!! I feel like I should call someone and tell them I have done such an amazing thing, but no, I have a better idea……

………I am off to post a five star review on some of those perch roe recipes so others can enjoy them too ;)

Semper Fi, Jarhead, from an old early 80's 0311..
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:24 PM »
thanks for the resurection
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.