The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Plastic welding shanty sled  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Plastic welding shanty sled
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2019, 08:46 AM »
I have repaired a few kayaks, a paddleboat along with some other items.

Make sure to get a good quality welder with a spade type tip.

You can order the plastic filler rod and the stainless steel screen from the same place you get your welding iron.

The stainless steel screen is critical for the strength and longevity of the weld.

You start by melting the screen down into the plastic from the backside when possible.

Then you heat the material and add the plastic rod.

Cracks or holes can be repaired this way

It can be sanded down to look nice if you want.

look on YouTube for info on plastic welding Kayaks for some great tips.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2019, 09:01 AM »
good tips!!!

Offline dalhnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I have been welding plastic for years ( I work in a body shop). The first step is identifying the type of plastic ( using some of the original tub shaved off the edge works well if you dont have plastic rods). A soldering iron will work if you don't have a hot air or nitrogen plastic welder.  Clean it really well, with  thinner, or alcohol, no need to scuff since you are melting it together. If you are using a soldering iron, I always stitch it first ( push the hot iron into the joint melting both sides almost all the way thru, almost overlapping each time) then I go back with my welding rod and fill in the  craters made by stitching and  kind of flow it all together That way you get a weld almost all the way thru the tub from one side. then flip it and do the other side, now you have a weld all the  way thru. As far as holding the joint together, I use a hot stapler, but aluminum duct tape on the opposite side you are working on works well.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2019, 11:13 AM »
So the welder is supposed to arrive Monday.... I probably wont get to start it until Wednesday or thursday i will take pictures as i get going and then my process.... Id do a live video but youtube wont let me now cuz i need 1000 subscribers before i can go live on mobile.... I will see if i can make a video and post it... Im not very camera friendly though lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:31 AM »
99%+ of the plastics used for icefishing shanties is HDPE. Any polyethelyene (HDPE, MDPE, LDPE) has bonding issues with adhesives......best route is to plastic weld using HDPE. Also note that zip ties are typically nylon and will not bond with HDPE very well. Just a bandaid.

Trust me...I used to work at a shop that thermoformed HDPE for Clam. Cheapest material to use.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:53 AM »
i have done this
gone to salvation army  and gotten cheap $10.00 skis like down hill,cross country style
and cut them to fit bottom of sled, this helps to save bottom during dragging them
across ice  rocks  and road payment ,
I know some people make these "smitty sleds also to put sleds on
just a another  idea .

snowsnake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.