The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: North or South Gull?  (Read 454 times)

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
North or South Gull?
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Hey smelt guys, my dad and I are going out for smelt next weekend forthe first time this year (second ever).  I have yet to catch one!  I think with what you guys have posted, I am well on my way.  Thanks for all of the good info. 

Now on to my question...what's the closest place (shortest walk) to smelt fishing grounds?  My dad and I parked by the fire access on the north side last year.  I thought I was about to keel over right there on the ice!!   Is it closer to park at the Bible Conference?

:afro: :afro:

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: North or South Gull?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:45 AM »
i have yet to go there either, i am heading down around noon today in hopes to find the smelt, it seems to me everyone has clammed up when it comes to gull lake parking or fishing info... i think they heard i was coming and they must be scared they will lose all there fish..lol
but from what i have gathered the bible conferance is a good starting point...

Offline Reel-Bonus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:31 AM »
My Son and I were at the South end last night we parked along the road (D Ave) in front of Franklin's Marina.  This was our first venture to the South end, we have always fished the North, but there was rumors the ice up North was not safe?  There were lot's of fishermen out there with us, the Smelt were there too, most of the fish came 8-12 feet down in 60 fow.  Hali's with white spikes worked best for us, plenty of bites and some smelt in the bucket made for some good father son time.  The bite seemed to be picking up about the time we left (around 11:00).  There was plenty of ice where we were 8-10", and the Slush was no longer an issue.

Hope this helps.....Good luck to all.

-RB

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:29 AM »
thank you for the info im heading down around noon today and hopefully i can get my sled and gear on the ice... is there access for snowmobile where you got on???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.