Author Topic: Oneida Lake Smallmouth  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oneida Lake Smallmouth
« on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:06 PM »
Fished the South shore out of Chapman today. Finally thinking I set the hook on a decent walleye for the evening bite, this big girl came to the hole after smashing a #3 jigging Rap. A PB smallie through the ice for me! A Very cool surprise....

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Oneida Lake Smallmouth
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 08:28 PM »

That happened to me a few years back only mine was a dam carp.  You done good Congrats

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Nice one there’s some biggins in there.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2021, 06:23 AM »
Nice one there’s some biggins in there.
Thank you! Sure was fun on 6lb test

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:51 AM »

Nice weed trout

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Awesome small mouth. Caught on 6lb test, can I ask is that your preferred line for ice fishing for Walleye and perch on Oneida? I've been using 3 or 4Lb. test without getting snapped off. I have caught some nice perch this season but haven't caught many sizeable Walleye's to know any better. Thanks.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Thanks! For walleye I use 8 or 10 lb braid with a 6lb-8lb flouro leader. If jigging and setting hooks in deep water (25+) I think 8lb test is a bit superior to 6lb. I know a few guys who like 10lb (for real big walleyes) but I think for Oneida 5,6 or 8 is more than enough. Really think it comes down to drag. I lost a big fish this year that smashed a #5 rap just before dark. My own fault! Was jigging outside and had my left hand inside my coverall pocket. I knew it was bigger than anything I’ve caught there. By the time I got my left hand to the drag and dropped to my knees he broke the 8lb leader at midway point between lure and swivel. Had it a hair to tight. I was so bummed. Sounds like you have the perfect perch set up to me! I like 3-4 as well. I’m going to play with some 5lb next winter. I think it has its place as an excellent perch/walleye set up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.