The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jawjackers  (Read 29781 times)

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jawjackers
« Reply #180 on: Jan 20, 2021, 06:12 PM »
How could traps be legal and jawjackers illegal? They tend to hook a fish in the mouth where a trap, depending on how long you let em run, might hook em in the butt, at the very least down in their throat. Silly pa fish and game.

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Jan 20, 2021, 06:58 PM »
It setting the hook is apparently the problem. Long story short, as it seems to me, they plan on taking public comments an if everyone can agree in April, change it so they are legal on ice for next year. Also said not to give fines if caught for the first time using them, since its been so up in the air about the legality. I'm sure if they happen upon you a 2nd time, it might be a fine.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:30 PM »
My take on the whole thing is everyone says they should lower fish limits, but let's make it easier to catch them. Boy, maybe we can figure out how to get some nets down the holes...

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #183 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:35 PM »
I bought a couple iFishPros this year, they have a flag mechanism and allows you to fight the fish on the rod, I highly recommend them.  You can hang very large baits, the device has 3 tripping mechanisms.  I suggest using those, I love them.
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:36 PM »
My take on the whole thing is everyone says they should lower fish limits, but let's make it easier to catch them. Boy, maybe we can figure out how to get some nets down the holes...
That's nothing new... prairie jiggers. They're illegal most places.

Offline Chilly Chile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 20, 2021, 07:41 PM »
I'll start off by saying I don't use them but have no problems with the use of them.  After listening to the commission discussion I was little alarmed at the lack of knowledge about jawjackers. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't mechanically set the hook. Don't they use the energy stored in the rod to set the hook? The device simply releases the rods energy so technically not mechanically setting the hook as was discussed. When they allow open discussion from the community we might want to bring that up.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:26 PM »
Good read guys. I agree with the downrigger argument.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:32 PM »
It setting the hook is apparently the problem. Long story short, as it seems to me, they plan on taking public comments an if everyone can agree in April, change it so they are legal on ice for next year. Also said not to give fines if caught for the first time using them, since its been so up in the air about the legality. I'm sure if they happen upon you a 2nd time, it might be a fine.

That’s basically what I got from it.

I thought what was interesting was they said it is NOT a strike indicator because it sets the hook. One of them says it is “spring loaded” ............however I contend the spring is not what “loads” the device! The spring only changes the tension on the trigger mechanism to change how easily or hard it is to set off. You actually MANUALLY load the rod by bending it and then set the trigger mechanism.

It sounds like they are leaning towards legalizing them for next year, though.

I hope they do, because I like to release most of the fish I catch on them, and it is great for being able to release them unharmed!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:24 AM »
I switched to the finicky fooler and really like them. More of just a flag to free spool deal so not always a lip hook though.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Jan 21, 2021, 09:40 AM »
made my own. with old metal coat anger and 2x4. just more gear to carry in sled.

Offline charger7022

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2021, 07:33 PM »
   I don't think it makes it easier to hook them but it sure does make it easier to release them..   I'm all for using jawjackers and lowering the limit on panfish to 25.   Ive used them the past 5-6 years until this year when they were very clear they were illegal.   using standard tip ups just about every fish is hooked in the guts, when i used my jaw jackers they are all hooked right in the upper lip and released back in the water to fight another day.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2021, 08:52 PM »
made my own. with old metal coat anger and 2x4. just more gear to carry in sled.

I made my own about 3 yrs ago. Hardly ever used it.It was fun to make but setting the hook is part of the fun of fishing-----or at least that what I tell myself when I can't be bothered toget off my chair and set it up.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:14 AM »
I just got back from a week in the UP and using my JJ that my son got me for Christmas (he didn't know the legal questions here in PA) for the first time.  The difference in swallowed hooks on the JJ and a traditional tip up was amazing.  Once out of maybe twenty fish did we have one manage to get the jig down its throat (and I think we had the trigger set too tight to be honest) after we got it dialed in - the rest were right in the corner or roof of the mouth. 

I never saw the difference between a JJ and a downrigger before, and after actually using one - i'd also say its way better for the fish ... We fished a lake with a ton of short pike that we needed to release and it made it much easier.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #193 on: Jan 25, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Yup.  We all see it...shame the PFBC does not.

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #194 on: Jan 25, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Also see people setting tip ups so far from where they actually have camp set up, and a lot of people won't even be paying attention to them, I have to yell at people to look at their flags all the time LOL I can't go 5 seconds without scanning them all.  I've only had a few fish ever swallow to a point of no return in my life, I spring to my flags where there's good ice and have them somewhat close.
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #195 on: Jan 26, 2021, 10:59 AM »
The meeting sounded pretty productive to me.  A measured response for this year and sounds like it's trending toward being legalized for next year.  I don't own any Jaw Jackers, but seems like PFBC are listening and looking into it.  Being handled about as well as it can be at this point. 

Too bad I stocked up on Finicky Foolers in 2020 now that it looks like they'll likely be legalizing the Jaw Jacker.  Makes sense though - better to hook the fish quickly in the mouth rather than let them swallow the hook.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #196 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:05 AM »

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Jan 26, 2021, 11:06 AM »
Just pulled this off facebook

Offline ducksnbucks36

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Jan 26, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Unless it’s just me I read through the codes multiple times and seen nowhere where any verbage related to jawjackers.   A post on Facebook saying not to do something doesn’t trump the verbage of the codes in my opinion.  But anymore I just run around jigging so who knows. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #199 on: Jan 26, 2021, 03:00 PM »
t seems to me the quoted sections(58 Pa. Code § 63.6. and 63.10 Authorized devices for game fish, baitfish and fishbait.  ..are vague at best but the section below mentions a device in, to, with, or around any part of the body of the fish. ..Hope you folks get it straightened out

http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/058/chapter63/s63.9.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RepGerg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Jan 26, 2021, 09:29 PM »
They sell a quick strike adapter for Foolers also lol.

Offline Mr. Ned rig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Jan 27, 2021, 12:13 PM »
If the rule is interrupted as it is in Ontario then it should be legal because, all the mechanical spring to trigger device is contained in the rod being bent. Not in another contraption or mechanical device.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Jan 27, 2021, 01:04 PM »
They sell a quick strike adapter for Foolers also lol.

Good to know!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Jan 28, 2021, 06:04 PM »
Unless it’s just me I read through the codes multiple times and seen nowhere where any verbage related to jawjackers.   A post on Facebook saying not to do something doesn’t trump the verbage of the codes in my opinion.  But anymore I just run around jigging so who knows.

I guess what they’re saying is that if it is not listed as a legal device then it is illegal. I do not agree but at least they’re looking into it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Jan 28, 2021, 06:20 PM »
The PFBC is a joke, always way on behind or just ignore what is going on. Typical government entity. Never had issues with the PFBC officers, up the chain is where I have problems. "Slammers" have been around for many many years now. I may or may not have made one years ago and may or may not have have used it many times. Having a loaded rod that sets the hook some is a hell of a lot better than letting the fish suck it down into its gut, gills or throat. With a slammer or jawjacker you either miss the fish or hook it in the lip more often than not. Windlass tip ups that jig the bait have been out for decades.

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:20 AM »
It'd be really interesting to catch a fine for this considering the Code sections mentioned. Can't see any magistrate having the ability to charge you for something that isn't mentioned in the code charged for but merely up to what the PFBC feels is necessary. Scary thing to be threatened with punishment for something claimed to be illegal with no supporting codes. Either amend the code and add it or make them legal.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #206 on: Jan 29, 2021, 09:37 AM »
It'd be really interesting to catch a fine for this considering the Code sections mentioned. Can't see any magistrate having the ability to charge you for something that isn't mentioned in the code charged for but merely up to what the PFBC feels is necessary. Scary thing to be threatened with punishment for something claimed to be illegal with no supporting codes. Either amend the code and add it or make them legal.

I dont believe tip-downs are mentioned as a approved device..are these a ticketable offense as well ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Jan 29, 2021, 10:11 AM »
I can't see that as being possible as it doesn't set the hook.  But I'll continue to use tip downs and "jaw jackers" until they take the time to clarify it in the code AND the handbook.  Maybe that makes me ignorant...

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Jan 29, 2021, 03:50 PM »

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Jan 31, 2021, 05:09 AM »
This is from Tom Austin's weekly column in the Press Enterprise (Bloomsburg) "Tom's Tracks". This week's column was on ice fishing. The following is from a call Tom made to find out about Jawjackers. A local angler told Tom people were being warned or given citations for using Jawjackers. Tom had never heard of Jawjackers so he researched what they are and then made a call to Fish and Boat Commission. See the following:

A call to Mike Parker,Communications Director of the Fish and Boat Commission,
revealed the angler who called was correct. A Jawjacker is illegal. Parker stated, “Ice fishing
regulations require a device be under direct control of the angler and the angler must
set the hook.”
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.