Author Topic: Mounting ideas for larger GPS in a UTV  (Read 2768 times)

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mounting ideas for larger GPS in a UTV
« on: Oct 14, 2017, 02:39 PM »
Curious if anyone else has mounted a larger GPS/Fishfinder in their UTV?  I caved and bought a Garmin Echomap 53dv from Cabelas since they had them reduced to $299 and I had a bunch of coupons I could stack.  What sold me was that it comes with Lakevu HD installed so the plan is to mount it in my Polaris Ranger and make that my new ice cruisin' machine this winter. 

Typically I'm a RAM mount guy but the Echomap 53 has a funky base on it.  Also looking to keep it low and stable so that it's not bouncing around.  Also important, I want something pretty easily removable so I can remove it before trailering or when I stop somewhere along the way and don't want it pilfered. 

Any suggestions from someone who's mounted a similarly large 5"-7" GPS in their Ranger? Also, how well do the batteries in the machines hold up to running these things for long periods?  I'd hate to end up out on the ice with a dead battery at the day, or inconvenienced by turning the GPS on and off 30 times a day.

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mounting ideas for larger GPS in a UTV
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03:04 PM »
I would do the ram mount.  I just bought the 73dv from there and plan on doing ram mount with a handlebar mount on 4 wheeler and sled

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03:05 PM »

X2 on the ram mount

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03:09 PM »
The 53 series doesn't use the knobs on each side like the larger units.  It has a round mini hockey puck style base.  I'll have to see how well it mounts up to the round bases RAM offers. Maybe I'll luck out and it will bolt right up. 

For these larger and heavier units, any recommendations on stepping up to a 1.5" ball?  I want this thing stable and not rocking and rolling to the point I'm either constantly adjusting it, or cannot read it.

I don't own a boat and have always used my handheld unit, so no idea how prone these units are to shaking. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2017, 04:45 PM »
I use a Helix 7 Chirp in my Viking. I think a  1.5" ball is recommended, but my 1" mount works for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:43 PM »
I think I'm going to go 1.5" just to be safe.  How did you mount it to your Viking?  Screw it to the dash?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:56 PM »
The Viking has a grab bar for passengers so I used a Ram handle bar mount on the grab bar.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Curious if anyone else has mounted a larger GPS/Fishfinder in their UTV?  I caved and bought a Garmin Echomap 53dv from Cabelas since they had them reduced to $299 and I had a bunch of coupons I could stack.  What sold me was that it comes with Lakevu HD installed so the plan is to mount it in my Polaris Ranger and make that my new ice cruisin' machine this winter. 

Typically I'm a RAM mount guy but the Echomap 53 has a funky base on it.  Also looking to keep it low and stable so that it's not bouncing around.  Also important, I want something pretty easily removable so I can remove it before trailering or when I stop somewhere along the way and don't want it pilfered. 

Any suggestions from someone who's mounted a similarly large 5"-7" GPS in their Ranger? Also, how well do the batteries in the machines hold up to running these things for long periods?  I'd hate to end up out on the ice with a dead battery at the day, or inconvenienced by turning the GPS on and off 30 times a day.

For a late season ice fishing trip last spring I attached my Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv base mount directly to a dandy spot on the middle of the dash of my UTV (Honda Pioneer) ... good and solid, very stable, worked great. Used it only for navigation and to mark spots on this trip ... had my MarCum LX-5 flasher for stationary fishing/sonar functions.

Since then have purchased an extra base and power cord so can quickly and easily swap the Garmin head unit between the UTV and ice/fishing caddy as desired.

By the way I certainly wouldn't consider the 53dv as a 'large' GPS/chartplotter, but it is very light and portable with a small mounting footprint (i.e. compact base).
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:24 PM »
Good to know.  And you're right, it's not "large" by today's standards...I guess it just is to me as I'm used to my handhelds. 

I just received it today and I see what you're saying.  It seems to have a pretty good base on it.  I'm going to mock it up on my dash and see if I can find a spot it fits well before ordering any RAM components.  Hopefully, it will tuck in tight behind the half windshield and I won't need an arm to move it inward towards the passenger compartment. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:19 PM »
I've made some adapting bases over the years with aluminum, Delrin, UHMW whatever resists corrosion and works "easily". There are brass inserts to add machine screws to wood/whatever that work very well and install with only a thick bladed straight screwdriver.

The world is your oyster (fueled by your imagination and ingenuity).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01:33 PM »
As mentioned above, Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv mounted to Honda Pioneer dash ...

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Looks great, Drift!  Thanks for sharing.

I just installed it today and here's out it turned along with a parts list in case anyone searches and finds this thread in the future:

Qty 2
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-202U
Qty 1
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-201U

And I was going to use this, but I didn’t care for the added height, but it could be a nice option depending on your install.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-403U

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.