Author Topic: Hard/no start ATV  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Hard/no start ATV
« on: Nov 05, 2010, 05:33 AM »
I just read an earlier post on this issue,but need a little more insight an expert advice

I own a '94 Kodiak 400 that won't or hardly ever start in the cold;less than 40* weather. It seems to roll over fine (maybe a little slow) but won't fire. But starts right up with the recoil (but it's a beast to pull).

I've had it to the dealer a couple of times and a private mechanic but the problem is still there. The stator has been replaced and so has the battery, although not a top shelf brand, but maybe I should consider it.

I just talked to a friend of mine who has worked on these machines most his life and he said that when using the electric start it dumps more gas into the carb than it does using the recoil, although it has never flooded.
He recommended getting the carb rebuilt. Does this sound logical?

Also in an earlier post someone had a similar problem and a couple of guys suggested getting the valves adjusted. The machine has 3500+ miles on (doesn't sound like a lot though). Would this help?

Any and all suggestions welcome...thanks
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Hard/no start ATV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:35 AM »
This can't hurt, go get a can of SEAFOAM and dump about 1/2 the can into the tank, it won't hurt it, then drive it around for a couple hours if you can, Seafoam really cleans out the internals of the carb.  You may notice a great difference.  If that doesn't work, then maybe a full carb cleaning is required.  We have 2 400's at work, no prioblem with them starting in the cold using key start.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:42 AM »
Let me ask you a few things.

How fast does the electric start turn the engine?

If it is turning slower than pull could be a problem. If it starts with a pull you may be turning the engine faster and creating more spark or more vacuum.

Does it idle without the choke? Or do you need to keep the choke on to keep it running?

If you need the choke on, there is a problem with the slow circuits in the carburetor. You will need to clean out the small jets. This will always help the starting process. An engine will use excess fuel to start when its warm outside and things evaporate better, but not in the cold.

If it idles fine with no choke once it is running the valves can be checked. If they have an access cover remove it and turn the engine with the rope start. Check and see if there is any play or gap, depending on what set up the engine has, you should see an adjuster bolt of some kind. If the valve is a little too tight, it will cause hard starting. If you don't know how to gap them leave them alone and get help. The engine needs to be cold before any adjustment is done.

A bad plug will cause things not to start right up. Pull the plug and check for spark. It should be a good amount not just a little flicker. I have had hard starting magneto type bikes that used no battery and found the condenser was the problem.

What kind of air cleaner do you have?  If it is foam you may have too much oil in it or the wrong kind of oil. If it is paper, can you see light through it?

If you can see the back of the carburetor, make sure the choke is closing completely.

What kind of crankcase oil do you use. If it is too thick for cold weather, it will not allow the engine to turn fast enough for proper spark.

Just a few things to check.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Trapperdirk

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I will live and die laying down hard ,cold steel .
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Also try going to an oil such as the 0w-40 from amsoil . It's good for all temps and an easier crank in the winter .
The bush is not just  a passion but in my soul.

TD

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:34 AM »
If there really is a correlation between using electric start and hard starting, I'd say weak spark!  Pull the plug and lay it next to the cylinder in dim light and pull over by hand, notice spark (brightness if you will).  Then use the electric start and see if it looks weaker, If so I’d say inadequate or weak battery.
Whether using pull or electric start, a carburetor is going to meter the same amount of fuel per intake stroke. Unless there is some sort of electronic fuel richening system that only engages when using the electric start what you have been told is incorrect.
Cheese Head

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:24 PM »
When using a kick start or rope pull start method compared to an electric, the rope and kick can turn the engine faster, depending on the force applied. If there is a problem with the mix of air to fuel, turning the engine faster will overcome certain issues of cold starting. Most motorcycles only use the battery for lights and the starter and have nothing to do with the spark. On most of my bikes and 4 wheelers I can disconnect the battery and they will still start by kick or pull. I am not saying that it would work for this machine, I am just saying for most. Disconnect the battery and see if you still have a spark. If you do have spark, then a new battery will only turn the engine faster and not solve a cold starting problem.
Remember an engine needs more fuel and less air when cold. Once it is warm it needs more air and less fuel. Think about how the choke works. It blocks off the air when it is on. You may only need to adjust your choke so it is completely closed?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.