New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: up or downsizing for pike?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline davej6225

• IceShanty Rookie
up or downsizing for pike?
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Was trying to figure out if i should use large or small bait for pike during the ice season. generally i like my lures during the summer to be 6in or above when going for pike and preferably large live bait Does it matter during the winter months?

Offline DoYouYammamoto

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: up or downsizing for pike?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Not exactly a veteran ice fisherman but in my experience large works better, I've tried smaller bait and it normally attracts large perch rather than pike. Steel leaders are also way over rated in my opinion.

Offline laketroutmaster14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:21 PM »
go with the biggest minnows you can buy and tip ups.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:07 AM »
steel leaders are overrated until you break off a couple beauties.Take it from me ice fishing for 45 years pike teeth are as sharp as the knife in your pocket.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:45 AM »
I like 3" shiners and I also use a #8 treble with 12# mono leader, I will put that set up against anyone running 6-8" minnows on steel leaders anyday

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:27 AM »
Smaller the better... Lighter tackle produces
More flags but you have to really finesse that fish to get em on the ice

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:39 AM »
big shiners = big pike

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:52 AM »
big bait,big fish. stell leaders mite be over rated until you loose that fish of a lifetime,then you'll wish you had em.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:08 AM »
I argue with myself about steel versus mono every year.  ::) :P
A stat for my kids and I this year that I can not ignore:
My boys are both old enough to operate tip ups. So, I now put out a full 5 for each. I started this year with a good mix.
2 with Tieable steel, 2 with steel with blades and beads, and 1 tipup with 12lb flouro and a size 8 hook for each kid.
I've always used the biggest bait I can get, bought or caught.
Those tipups that I have set up with flouro and a small hook (20% of our lines) have produced the 3 biggest fish this year. 33, 34, and 35".
My steel sets (80% of our lines) have produced, but nothing over 30". Each big fish came in with the hook in the corner of the mouth giving me all day to land the fish as it wasn't touching teeth. Small hooks are key in getting the hook set in the corner of the mouth. Big hooks get hooked deep in the throat and they're fraying that thin line with every head shake.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:23 AM »
perch  try the  invisa  leaders   hard  to  see  ....  heavy  mono  can  be  seen  as  well  as  steel (  my  opinion)  so  i  run  steel ....steel  been  working  for  over  50  years  for  me  i never  found  a  leader  shy  pike

Offline pikeman3033

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:35 AM »
I run 15 pound flouro leaders with #12 trebels. Haven't had a bite off yet and the number of big pike i've caught since switching from steel has increased quite a bit.

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I have caught Pike...Big Pike on small shiners and big ones. As well as small and big suckers. Depends on the day I guess IDK. I use size 10 hooks with 30# Flouro.... You will get all sorts of opinions about mono and steel... Being bitten off or line shy and so on. Just read everyone's opinions and set ups and then do what you think is best. trial and error. Eventually it's what works best for you.
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:55 AM »
Size #8 hook tied on to about 3' of 10lb spiderwire.  Haven't lost one yet and 90% of the fish I've caught have been in the corner of the mouth..

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Medium or large-sized bait with 30 lbs big game mono leader.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:12 AM »
The water I'm fishing makes a huge difference too.
I've never caught squat fishing Lake George with steel for pike. I've done much better on flouro rigs.
It doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all in murky water. My steel with blades and beads actually out produce in those waters as far as action is concerned.
Sorry to get off topic on you man. 

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I tend to agree mono and small #8 treble for pike.  However, 1 fish broke me off last year and it while I never saw the fish it was the heaviest I've felt on the end of a line in many years.  Thus, I'm reviewing the whole leader issue myself :)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I tend to agree mono and small #8 treble for pike.  However, 1 fish broke me off last year and it while I never saw the fish it was the heaviest I've felt on the end of a line in many years.  Thus, I'm reviewing the whole leader issue myself :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Story of my dang life right there.  :%$#!:

Offline TIPUPCHUMP

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish-On
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:57 AM »
60+ lb backing.. 60+ lb steel.. Plus biggest bait you can find on a decent size treble .. Sit and wait for days or season's.. When that flag goes up you will have a heart attack  :tipup:
new here but not to fishing

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:18 PM »
go big ,go steel or go home. iI YOU DONT CARE IF YOU LOOSE A FISH OF A LIFETIME, USE MONO OR NONE STEEL IT WILL COST YOU SOONER OR LATER. 50 YEARS OF ICE FISHING, THATS MY OPINION .

Offline adk dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:36 PM »
big bait big fish small bait small and big fish. go with steel or you will never know about the one that got away!

Offline johnfbern

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:31 PM »
when you say #12 mono do you mean 12 lb test if so that will hold up against the teeth of a big pike?

Offline kingcoho308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:15 PM »
big bait = pike bait on tip ups ill use medium shinners for tipping jigs and spoons

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I'm sorry everyone has their opinions but I just wanna say I have reeled in some massive fish on 4lbs line it's all about how you fight the fish you got to tucker that thing out good it's all about finesse IMO

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I'm sorry everyone has their opinions but I just wanna say I have reeled in some massive fish on 4lbs line it's all about how you fight the fish you got to tucker that thing out good it's all about finesse IMO
It's kind of funny man.
All the stuff that has shown up on this thread and will show up on this thread in the next few days runs through my head every year during ice season.
Best advice: Try them all at some point man. One of them will work for you.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I do not fish for northerns in the winter, but I can tell you from open water experience, pike cut through 50-60lb braid like a knife.

If they can cut through thick braid like that, they WILL cut through mono or flouro. It only takes one, to ruin your year.

Use a steel leader. Just make sure its black.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:23 PM »
steel leaders are overrated until you break off a couple beauties.Take it from me ice fishing for 45 years pike teeth are as sharp as the knife in your pocket.

Agreed, I'm never fighting a pike through the ice without a steel leader. It's just not worth the feeling of loss when a pig slices through your line!

Offline bass14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I use 12 pound floro for my leaders and I've never had one break me off. Works great. But if you're worried its not a terrible idea to use steel leaders

Offline Pikeplower32

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin-On-Water
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Big bait!!

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Been out with guys who target big pike.. Big bait =big fish...  the pennsylvania state record pike came on big bait !!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I attended the Fish307 (at their recent Open House) presentation by Rich Ortiz on targeting big pike. He is a Lake George area fishing legend. He catches MONSTER pike and has won several tourney's with his big pike.

He says: Tip-ups with 12 lb. Trilene leader (three ft. long), with a split shot up about a foot from the bait, to a barrel swivel, on black line (300 ft.). #12 to 14 hook, red, if possible. Largest shiners you can get (clip their tail so they won't trip your flag all of the time). Hole cover / fill hole with snow. Jig, in another hole, with a flashy / noisy jig to attract the pike to your tip-ups.  When you get a flag, walk QUIETLY, do not run, to your flag. Then watch the spool. When it stops running, do nothing. Wait until it starts to move again (they grab the bait, run with it, then stop to swallow it, then go on their way). Then, slowly set the hook by slowly pulling some line in. DO NOT yank it to set it. Remember, you are using 12 lb. line. By slowly pulling on the line, you will hook the pike in the corner of his mouth, avoiding the teeth. Start to retrieve the line. If he starts to run, let him. You have 300 ft. of line. Don't horse him in. Tire him out. Let him run as many times as he wants. They will usually get tired and give up after three or so runs. If catching and releasing (which he recommends with trophy sized fish), gently gaff them at the lower tip of the lower jaw. Never gaff the gills or body, unless you are keeping them. I paid close attention and even took notes. I can't wait to try this. I have been perch fishing with Rich. I caught nothing, while Rich, sitting a few feet away, piled the perch up on the ice. He is the real deal. If he says this is the way to catch big pike, you can bank on that.
Good Luck!
HWN

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.