New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: unwritten rules and or basic rules of ice fishing  (Read 2613 times)

Offline newb icer

• IceShanty Rookie
unwritten rules and or basic rules of ice fishing
« on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:07 PM »
now i know like any sport they have rules and some that aren't written but  come as a common curtsy when it comes to ice fishing. being as i am new  to the sport can anyone help fill me in on them. just basic stuff like  if your  aloud to say fish near where someone else is set up and all that kinda stuff. also if you  come across holes are you aloud to use them if no one  is there ?

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: unwritten rules and or basic rules of ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Usually just stay a fare amount of space away and respect the others space, as for open holes I would use them unless thay are right next to somebody Just all the comon curdecy as other sports. And most people like the quietness.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:12 PM »
This should get a good response! Think I'll just sit back and read for a bit! ;D. Welcome to Iceshanty newb icer. This is a great site loaded with great people who will help you learn the techniques and unwritten rules.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:16 PM »
If you want to fish an area where there are people, it is always polite to ask if you can set up near by.  Also, try not to run a snowmobile or 4-wheeler through someone's tip-up spread.  Don't blare loud music on the ice.  You should also  check out our Find an Icefishing Partner Thread. Lots of people like to fish with other people for saftey and for company.
Click on the link below:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=140836.0
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Rule # A-1*** Pick up after yourself. Don't leave anything on the ice besides the snow. That includes dead fish!!

Keep a respectable distance, but remember you have a right to be there. Tip ups are NOT fence posts and do not mean the owner has claim to a whole area. Be courteous, use common sense, but don't be bullied.

Did I mention to pick up after yourself? ;D

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Also different areas have different unwritten rules and customs.   What maybe acceptable on one lake or one part of the state, may be frowned upon at another lake, or another part of the state.  A good rule of thumb is the golden rule (do onto others).  Think about how you would like to be treated, and treat others that way.  Also as Skipper said, do not let yourself be bullied.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Rule # A-1*** Pick up after yourself. Don't leave anything on the ice besides the snow. That includes dead fish!!
This can't be said enough!! When or if your on private waters pick up extra garbage! Land owners like that and will most likely let you keep fishing!  :icefish:
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2012, 06:04 PM »
This should get a good response! Think I'll just sit back and read for a bit! ;D. Welcome to Iceshanty newb icer. This is a great site loaded with great people who will help you learn the techniques and unwritten rules.
X2--- Welcome aboard and ask away!! Great place to get information to get you started off right!! Like Eddie said, I'll just read and enjoy for awhile!! Tight Lines!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2012, 06:07 PM »
X2--- Welcome aboard and ask away!! Great place to get information to get you started off right!! Like Eddie said, I'll just read and enjoy for awhile!! Tight Lines!! :icefish:
you 2 remind me of that story about the old bull and young bull sittin on a hill watching a field of cows when the young bull says.....

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2012, 06:15 PM »
you 2 remind me of that story about the old bull and young bull sittin on a hill watching a field of cows when the young bull says.....
"Let's run down and "do" one" and the old bull says, "Lets walk down and "do" them all!!!"  :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :bow: ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline bmxrider11976

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 08, 2012, 06:40 PM »
if someone gives you decent info and say it straight faced, pay it forward and give them some useful info as well. i dont like when i talk to someone and tell them what i was using and all i get in return is a cold look. normally being open will get you farther in finding more fish than being tightlipped, and you may find a new ice fishing buddy. also dont go up to other peoples spots with nothing to offer them. if you come into my spread just to see what im using and dont have a greeting or some info to offer, you wont be invited. most of all, have fun and keep it lighthearted. if youre not having fun, youre not ice fishing!
USE A BOBBER!

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2012, 09:38 PM »
its a big lake...give me some room.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 08, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Thats some good stuff guys keep it coming! If there's a crowd, there's usually a set distance from everyone. Keep that distance. If you see someone fishing out all alone, in their own space, stay away!! To which I'll add, find your own fish!

Offline byron basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2012, 12:43 AM »
A lot of good info here. But I would like to add, if you take your dog keep in under control. Nothing worse than having sombodys dog come and start eating your bait and the dog fights.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2012, 07:04 AM »
May not be a pet peeve of others. It is of mine.
When you've shaved up 99% of the ice on a frozen lake, you can turn your gas auger off.

Do your best to mark holes that are 8" or bigger when you leave. They can break a person's leg in a hurry!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2012, 06:45 PM »
I strongly believe the number one rule for any new ice fishermen, would be to scroll down to "Ice fishing Safety" , and spend a lot of good quality time reading what's in there. It's loaded with life saving tips and information that could save your life, or help you save someone else's!

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2012, 04:16 AM »
A Good one to follow is don't try to take your wheeler across a pressure ridge... U won't make it :tipup: goodluck

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2012, 04:38 PM »

keep crap picked up , give others some space nothing worse than being crowded , if not sure of the ice take a friend and a spud and know the laws of the lake your on not all are the same

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2012, 08:45 PM »
A Good one to follow is don't try to take your wheeler across a pressure ridge... U won't make it :tipup: goodluck

This is so true   :tipup:
Just enjoying life

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2012, 09:07 PM »
dont be the guy who has dull blades on the power auger and take 3 minutes to drill through 5 inches of ice :cookoo:

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Don't eat yellow snow ;D and don't fish on the ice roads it annoys people driving on the lake having to go around you and you'll dull your blades cutting through all the dirty ice any ways.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2012, 09:36 PM »
Avoid crowds. You will learn more and catch more fish.
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2012, 09:39 PM »
Avoid crowds. You will learn more and catch more fish.

Spoken like a true Mille Lacs angler...

The shanty town is seldom the best place to be!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:01 AM »
Be respectful. Anything that seems like a bad idea probably is.  ;)  ;D

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:47 AM »
There is no such thing as too much gear lol  ;D :icefish:
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #25 on: Sep 12, 2012, 06:33 AM »
Watch your language on the ice. Icefishing is a popular family sport with lots of kids on the ice. They don't need to hear cursing every other word. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2012, 09:08 AM »
dont be the guy who has dull blades on the power auger and take 3 minutes to drill through 5 inches of ice :cookoo:

People like that should be banned from the sport

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #27 on: Sep 12, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Treat others like you would like to be treated, keep the noise down as much as possible and don't leave trash behind when you leave. I don't appreciate it when someone drives up near me, puts a football game or something on their truck radio, turns the volume way up and leaves the door open. A quiet generator running doesn't bother me as we all need a charge once in a while. When someone comes into the area where I'm fishing I usually talk to them for a while. There are people who want information because they are new to ice fishing and want someone to help a bit. I have had people ask me to drill holes for them, ask for bait or just ask to fish in the same area. I have met some nice people on the ice because if this. When it comes to being bullied I'm Teflon coated and it just runs off of me. I fish for the enjoyment of it and have a tough time understanding those who seem to think they have to make Swiss cheese out of a frozen lake and claim half of it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 12, 2012, 11:47 AM »
Pick up your damn cigarette butts.   Don't use a hole for a garbage can.   #1 rule   always bring the camera because with out a picture its just another fish tale.
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #29 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:33 PM »
If you want to fish an area where there are people, it is always polite to ask if you can set up near by.  Also, try not to run a snowmobile or 4-wheeler through someone's tip-up spread.  Don't blare loud music on the ice.  You should also  check out our Find an Icefishing Partner Thread. Lots of people like to fish with other people for saftey and for company.
Click on the link below:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=140836.0
RIGHT ON. think about what you are doing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.