The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Late Ice Jig Fest  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Late Ice Jig Fest
« on: Apr 11, 2017, 11:39 AM »
I don't ice fish the way I used to.  I spend more time chasing fish on the soft water side in barely "open" water.  But once I lock down enough open water trout or salmon to keep my streak going, I look forward to following the warm water fish as the move inshore when the ice wastes away.  That's what I did on my last 5 trips, nearly 100% jigging. Starting out in 15-25 feet of water in early March, and following the fish into 5 feet of water on April 9, I had nearly non-stop action.  In that shallow water, the fish were packed so tight I could swear I smelled them.  ;D I have pretty strict standards for "non-stop" action, but 300 fish in those last handful trips gets me in the ballpark anyway.  The usual warm water customers, with a few less commonly jigged species that may serve me well in the derby I'm fishing.  By the end of the day on the waters I fish, walking in the corn ice has become more like trudging through beach sand, and I punched a boot or 2 through just for good measure, confirming it was time to move on.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Late Ice Jig Fest
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Lovely Jim!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2017, 02:56 PM »
Jim that is just the best. Congrats
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:01 PM »
So glad some of you had the chance that I did not. Next year..

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Jim, You closed out the season with the morher load. That is quite the variety I bet the smallies were fun on the jig rod. Are both those fish suckers? I use to catch some huge suckers on the winooski river in VT. They gave up a battle in the current.Great post see you on the open water forum.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Are both those fish suckers?
One Chub one sucker it looks to me
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Thanks, Wayne.  The bigger one is a sucker.  The smaller one is a fallfish.  Both gave a nice fight in shallow water.

Jim, You closed out the season with the morher load. That is quite the variety I bet the smallies were fun on the jig rod. Are both those fish suckers? I use to catch some huge suckers on the winooski river in VT. They gave up a battle in the current.Great post see you on the open water forum.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2017, 02:17 PM »
  Nice mixed bag. 

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Ending the hardwater in style!! Those are some nice looking smallies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.