Author Topic: Fishing Spring Bobbers in the wind  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishing Spring Bobbers in the wind
« on: Oct 21, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I wrapped in a couple of the Ice Strong Spring Bobbers on some rods last month.  It dawned on me at the time that I've struggled fishing with spring bobbers in the past due to the wind.  Was wondering if anybody else has issues fishing spring bobbers when the wind is up a little...especially if its a light bite? I only setup the hub if I have to and still fish outside a majority of the time.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Fishing Spring Bobbers in the wind
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2018, 08:53 PM »
i use adjustable titanium wires and kneel fish if not stuck in the shanty. keep your back into the wind and eyes and use a short rod. no problem.

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Most of my rods are between 6" and 15" for the sole purpose of line management in windy conditions. Since many of my rods (both palm and jigging) are short, I can fish outside and hole hop in the nastiest weather and still have complete control over my line and block the wind. This translates into detecting more bites and catching more fish.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:21 PM »
I agree with 3300. The other thing I’ve noticed is a bite on a spring bobber is definitely a different motion then that generated by the wind. Often times a bite will cancel out or alter the movement made by the wind, and with a little practice, you’ll be able to tell the difference between the two. Just don’t over think it.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Most of my rods are between 6" and 15" for the sole purpose of line management in windy conditions. Since many of my rods (both palm and jigging) are short, I can fish outside and hole hop in the nastiest weather and still have complete control over my line and block the wind. This translates into detecting more bites and catching more fish.

Funny...I added a couple of palm rods and assorted springs this year too.   If I can get enough time on the ice this year I might be able to dial things in a little bit using spring bobbers.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Beatis62- Your going to like those Ice Strong Titanium Spring Bobbers. They are really good. As for wind just do like others have suggested.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:29 AM »
I almost always kneel while jigging for gills.  I only use St. Croix spring bobbers - even rigged to cheap rods.  I always put my back to the wind and if it's really windy, I'll make sure to not clear away the mound of ice shavings/snow and I'll drop my rod tip below that to really shelter it from the wind.  My go-to gill rod is also only an 18" Frabill microlight ice rod that I have rigged with the St. Croix spring bobber setup so it makes it even easier to shelter from the wind.  As an extra bonus, I'm right next to the hole to clear out a transducer or grab a fish that flops off in the hole. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2018, 04:58 AM »
Beatis62- Your going to like those Ice Strong Titanium Spring Bobbers. They are really good. As for wind just do like others have suggested.

X2 on the Ice Strongs, best in the biz imo. Here's a little trick/mod I use, especially good for windy conditions. I bent the last 3/4 to 1" of the indicator at a 90* angle so that it sticks out to the side of the rod, then bent the "loop" so it points down towards the ice...yes they bend, does not break. I then tie the indicator on the rod about a 1/2" back from the end guide at around the 10 or 11 o'clock position. This allows for better sight of the indicator and bite detection. Now in windy conditions, as stated, back to the wind. Then I will rest the rod tip on the bottom of my flasher screen (between jiggings) with the indicator just touching the side of it to prevent it from "bouncing" in the wind. With it positioned this way, I can see the screen of the flasher and the indicator at the same time. I may also pin the rod/reel against my leg to eliminate any possible rod wobble. I use 36 to 48" rods so don't usually sit/squat as I do a lot of hole hopping. Works like charm. Hope this helps.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Lots of good tips.  I also like to "pin" my rod against a steady object to keep it still.  I tend to have a shaky hand, even more so when I am trying to keep it still.  The Ice Strongs are awesome.  I'm in the process of making several deadstick rods with these indicators for walleye live bait applications.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.