The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: PK Lures - Recommended and thanks for sponsoring the WY Ice Shanty!  (Read 6601 times)

Offline walleye man33

• IceShanty Rookie
what size you guys use ??? ???

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline walleye man33

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: PK lures
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:18 PM »
thanks

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think it really sucks how a guy can have that much success with an invention and not have any intention to set up a manufacturing operation in hometown. Sure you are going to have to not employ children, have a safe working conditions. So much for the job creators.
The old hand made flutterfish were totally different with a filled in weighted back of lower spoon. I ran into Pat and he told me how many millions in sales PK is doing, Just like these construction outfits and illegal labor, $$ corrupts.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
A huge reason for product manufacturers outsourcing their product to China can be blamed on retail stores. For example, if you make a great lure, rod, boot, backpack, jacket, etc and you want a big retailer to carry it (Wal-Mart, Cabela's, Bass Pro etc) they demand their buyers (the people in charge of selecting product) only carry product that will give them a certain profit margin. This forces these small manufacturers to do everything possible to lower their manufacturing costs if they want into the retailer. And many times if they can't, or won't, these large retailers will take the product to China themselves and knock it off, then sell it under their name brand.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
The global economy has more than one side and argument to it, so I'd be happy to see this terminal built to export Wyoming/Montana coal to Asian countries.

LONGVIEW, Wash. -- A company is proposing to build a $600 million terminal in southwest Washington to export 44 million metric tons of Powder River Basin coal to Asia each year, a total that would make it the largest such facility in North America.
The terminal would be a major shot in the arm for the the area's construction industry but will certainly face stiff opposition from conservation and neighborhood groups.

Read more: Proposed Washington port to ship Powder River Basin coal

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
I did not realize the quality of the lures took a hit.  I assumed they made them the same way, just with cheaper labor.  If they have changed the materials in their spoons...and they do not perform the same way as the old ones..... I'm not sure if I'll buy any new ones.

I have a 2 dozen or so of the quality ones from a few years ago. 

The quality has changed? ???

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I did not realize the quality of the lures took a hit.  I assumed they made them the same way, just with cheaper labor.  If they have changed the materials in their spoons...and they do not perform the same way as the old ones..... I'm not sure if I'll buy any new ones.

I have a 2 dozen or so of the quality ones from a few years ago. 

The quality has changed? ???
From my experience with them this season the pike, perch, 'eyes, smallies, largemouth, crappie, brookies, 'bows, browns and lakers couldn't tell a difference!  ;D

BTW, these just arrived:

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
dang,

Looks like I may have to come out of retirement to make a purchase.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm not that surprised.  I think the shape is the key to the action... not so much the materials. 

I ordered some of the smallest flutterfish and noticed they were different than my older ones.  Thought it was just because of how small they were.  I'm kinda disappointed to see all the lures now have that finish and material.

Oh well :-\

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm not that surprised.  I think the shape is the key to the action... not so much the materials. 

I ordered some of the smallest flutterfish and noticed they were different than my older ones.  Thought it was just because of how small they were. I'm kinda disappointed to see all the lures now have that finish and material.

Oh well :-\
A lot of things have changed over the years which I'm disappointed with too... The gov't and our taxes to begin with. The fact kids can't play dodgeball in school and the soccer teams they play on which won't even keep score because "someone may feel bad". Johnny can't read? Pass him on to the next grade anyway. You can also add to the list of how vehicles have changed over the years. The 18yo's in the military protecting our Rights and way of life, whom aren't even allowed to legally enjoy a cold beer on a hot Saturday afternoon fishing with their father --- by the MADD mothers and politicians they are protecting. The fact certain groups in America will champion for Korans for incarcerated Muslims yet want to do away with the Christmas season for American citizens who are walking the streets and paying their taxes. Including seeing to it employees are being told they cannot say "Merry Christmas" -- in lieu of "Happy Holidays".

I have other "disappointments" too, but in the big scheme of things, the "finish" on a lure doesn't even make my list. Oh well, buy a Kastmaster or Chubby Darter. :-\

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hmmmm wyoutdoors.

Alright then, I did not expect that response....  I think you kind of got off topic there.   We are discussing PK spoons, not politics, religion, government, etc.

I don't think I'm the only person out there who gets disappointed when a company switches something from metal to plastic...   I didn't tell you what lures to buy, I'm not sure why you are telling me what ones to buy?

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just started using pk's... not sure what kind of fit and finish they had before... but the new ones can still outfish everything else I have in my tackle box! Made for a successful first season on the ice for me. Plan on using the flutterfish on soft water as well.

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
Hi folks!  Received word by PM that someone was asking about the new finish on the Flutterfish.  Wanted to confirm that yes, we changed the finish in 2011 from a soft hammered finish to a much more aggressive "dimpled" finish.  We found that the more aggressive finish was more reflective.  A soft hammered finish doesn't always reflect light up or strongly sideways, and the aggressive dimpled finish means that as light hits the lure and hits the bottom curve of the dimple, it does a better job of reflecting, and does a great job of mimicking a scale pattern.  Most spoons don't have this concern if they're for casting, but our product is often used right on bottom, so the lateral and upward reflecting ability is a strong priority for us.  The finish is now identical on the PK Spoon and the Flutterfish (up to 1.0 oz on the Flutterfish, larger sizes of the Flutterfish are smooth sided).  There may be some "old" stock out there.  Grey packaging = "old" finish, and blue packaging = "new" finish.  Either way, they'll catch a ton of fish.

BTW, the Flutterfish that are out there with extra weight poured in the bottom concave section were pre-production prototypes, designed to have a faster, more aggressive descent than the current Flutterfish.  Anyone who knows Pat knows he's never finished tinkering.  Anyone who has them (and lucky you are) should try casting them in summer towards shore, pulling them across a ledge or weedbed, then letting them flutter on tight line -- the extra weight in the bottom concave surface keeps the lure fluttering BACK and down, straight down the edge of the ledge or weedbed.  Letting the lure flutter on slack line will actually result in the lure moving AWAY from you somewhat as it descends.  They'll also be VERY effective at first ice and after last ice.  Mid-season you may want to move to a "normal" Flutterfish for the slower flutter.

Send a PM with any questions you may have about PK products, and we'll give you the history.  Pat's been putting them on the water now for two decades, so we're bound to have some unique patterns out there...

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
I like my PK's they have worked really well this year for me ! I lost one in pathfinder jiggin and a big fish hit it at even broke the end off my new st. croix rod lol I will be buying more for sure good job guys thank you
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Not quite the order like wyoutdoors but stopped by "Guns and Gear" in Cheyenne and picked some up. Wish there was a store that actually carried them around here.... :-\

Offline paandthewildman

• IceShanty Rookie
I love my flutterfishes but wish they would make them in the red/fuschia color that they discontinued.  Now i have to sand them down and paint them that color myself.       

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Not quite the order like wyoutdoors but stopped by "Guns and Gear" in Cheyenne and picked some up. Wish there was a store that actually carried them around here.... :-\
(Image removed from quote.)
Wyofarmer digging the red dot glow!!! :tipup:

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Wyofarmer digging the red dot glow!!! :tipup:
Can't find em up here in Riverton. They had a very nice selection there.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Being a broke college kid I was so excited to sell my books yesterday and went and bought some gas and 2 new pk jigs!!! Now headin to the lake today to feed them to some fish..PK rules!  :bow:
   Score !!!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
PK just made Cabela's catalog. Link

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
That is big time

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
looks like very limited selection bummer dude

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
looks like very limited selection bummer dude

Cabela's picked up eight lines -- four of the most popular Flutterfish, and four of the most popular PK Spoons.  But if you're looking for something they don't carry, head on over to www.pklures.com, or hit one of the other online retailers that offers the product like www.fish307.com.  Every size and pattern we make is available on our website, and our shipping is reasonable, so you'll never go without product!

Of course, if you can't find the pattern you want you can always send them an email and let them know you WOULD have bought it if they had had it online...   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.