Author Topic: New traps  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
New traps
« on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Picked up a couple of these yesterday at Wildlife.  Looking forward to putting them on ice.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New traps
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:39 PM »
Nice. Are those Roland Patry's traps?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2021, 02:48 PM »

They are Rolands

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:00 PM »

Yes.  My brother has a couple and I really liked them.  Stopped by the trading post in Berlin this past summer to pick up a couple but it had closed down.  Good to see Wildlife had some in stock.  Might have to play with the trip a bit as it seems to take a bit of force to trip the flag.  Plan on using them shallow for rainbows on the big lakes.  Any advise on fine-tuning them would be helpful.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:08 PM »
They stock those, They carried alot of 40 ups in years past. They have seemed to disappear. Mike tries really hard to keep that place stocked. 
Salmonemia

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Thought so, I've got a couple that my uncle got 30+ years ago from Roland. I've never fished them though, just keep sakes from my uncle.
I believe Jibbs fishes them exclusively though, hopefully he'll chime in on tuning them.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:16 PM »
Nice traps!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:20 PM »
I have  8 "charlies" which were the predecessor to the "rolands". I believe Roland learned the tip-up trade  from Charlie ?

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:23 PM »
well built you'll be happy!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:30 PM »
well built you'll be happy!!

Good news.  Thanks for all the input.  I've got a full set of Heritage Lakers that are my mainstay but always wanted at least a pair or Roland's. 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:35 PM »
I have  8 "charlies" which were the predecessor to the "rolands". I believe Roland learned the tip-up trade  from Charlie ?

Good stuff!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:47 PM »
They stock those, They carried alot of 40 ups in years past. They have seemed to disappear. Mike tries really hard to keep that place stocked.
40 ups are out of business I do believe.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Great to see ..stealth is right I have been fishing with these traps for 35 plus years ..the old versions had better spools compared to what is on there now ..I change mine out to plastic heritage spools and you can use the same hardware ..might also want to keep an eye on the nut that holds the spool ..it’s tends to spin off over time . ..besides that very few wind flags and will last the rest of time ..I’m glad Roland is able to get his product out there..the Berlinites were the only folks for years that enjoyed his traps ..be safe
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Nice score... the shorter the trap, the stiffer the trigger  action, you can offset that by filing the inside of the trigger where the flag goes,make it so its ramped from the tip,it will trip much easier.. be sure the spool is filled, the larger diameter trips easier, it's the main reason I use 4" spools, they trip ALOT easier.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Good purchase.
So I bought a set of these last year for my boy. I can tell you they are not good for trout unless you modify them .
There's pros and cons I've found in the last year.
Pros: they are very well made. Solid, finish is impeccable. Quality trip mechanism, similar to the 40 up style which is by far better than any other IMO. Good for bass fishing or fish that are not sensitive to resistance.
Cons: Get rid of the crappy aluminum spool and change them out for heritage poly spools ASAP.
 they trip very hard. Flags are super stiff, too short, I modified and changed a bunch of his out for 40 up flags. Still need a better solution but work better.
The only other negative I've found is in heavy wind, they tip on the hole. But that's just the nature of these versus a cross style trap.
All in all, they are AWESOME traps for warm water species in my experience. They will last forever due to their durable construction.
Good luck!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Sweet!
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2021, 03:09 PM »
Nice score... the shorter the trap, the stiffer the trigger  action, you can offset that by filing the inside of the trigger where the flag goes, make it so its ramped from the tip,it will trip much easier.. be sure the spool is filled, the larger diameter trips easier, it's the main reason I use 4" spools, they trip ALOT easier.

Good purchase.
So I bought a set of these last year for my boy. I can tell you they are not good for trout unless you modify them .
There's pros and cons I've found in the last year.
Pros: they are very well made. Solid, finish is impeccable. Quality trip mechanism, similar to the 40 up style which is by far better than any other IMO. Good for bass fishing or fish that are not sensitive to resistance.
Cons: Get rid of the crappy aluminum spool and change them out for heritage poly spools ASAP.
 they trip very hard. Flags are super stiff, too short, I modified and changed a bunch of his out for 40 up flags. Still need a better solution but work better.
The only other negative I've found is in heavy wind, they tip on the hole. But that's just the nature of these versus a cross style trap.
All in all, they are AWESOME traps for warm water species in my experience. They will last forever due to their durable construction.
Good luck!

Thanks to both of you.  These are great tips and info.  I'll start looking at getting the upgraded parts.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2021, 05:22 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  These are great tips and info.  I'll start looking at getting the upgraded parts.
If you are going to change out the flag spring, spend the money in the Jack trap spring,  they are stainless and provide a softer action, than the 50 up spring.. I've used both, the jack trap spjng is superior, if yo are set on the 40 up spring, I've got  a bunch you can have for free.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:10 AM »
If you are going to change out the flag spring, spend the money in the Jack trap spring,  they are stainless and provide a softer action, than the 50 up spring.. I've used both, the jack trap spjng is superior, if yo are set on the 40 up spring, I've got  a bunch you can have for free.

Wow, Joe, that's very generous of you.  I'd be privileged to have parts from you as on my traps.  Of course the added Roccus mojo will go way further than any mechanical improvement. 
Just let me know the best way to do this.  I'll drive down your way, without hesitation, if it's easiest.  Snail mail could work too, of course.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2021, 09:01 AM »
This weekend is full of chaos,  I think Saturday  the 18th is clear.

I have to make sure the "Boss" has no.plans for me..
I'll see what I've got for  spools that will work for those, if nothing else we can fill them ( the stock ones)up so they trip better, having a full spool makes a difference  on a few levels, for one, they trip easier, reason 2, the have less rolling resistance and = less dropped baits
Those also can be made wider, by making new end caps from aluminum angle 2 nylon bushings and a 4" center bolt.. very easy model that makes that trap alot more stable..

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2021, 09:45 AM »
This weekend is full of chaos,  I think Saturday  the 18th is clear.

I have to make sure the "Boss" has no.plans for me..
I'll see what I've got for  spools that will work for those, if nothing else we can fill them ( the stock ones)up so they trip better, having a full spool makes a difference  on a few levels, for one, they trip easier, reason 2, the have less rolling resistance and = less dropped baits
Those also can be made wider, by making new end caps from aluminum angle 2 nylon bushings and a 4" center bolt.. very easy model that makes that trap alot more stable..

Thanks Joe.  I'm free on the 18th and have blocked my calendar.  If it works fantastic, if not that's fine too, as it's a busy time of year for everyone.  "Worst" case scenario we meet up again at Canobie once the ice sets up well enough.  Sheesh....gotta be close to 20 years since we last fished there together.

Thanks again.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2021, 11:19 AM »
I haven't been to Canobie in almost that long...we'll figure it out...get your traps fixed up and send you home with a few home brews.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2021, 07:48 AM »
40 ups are out of business I do believe.

I believe you are correct. I had an order with them last year that never showed up. Luckily I used Paypal and got my money back.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.