Author Topic: Took a ride to see when I can get the boat up on the Grand Mesa.  (Read 1119 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
It is going to be a while. JUne 6th and I found everything locked up tight.

Notice the snow where I parked the car and the wife got out so I could take her picture. Top and bottom pic's are lakes.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow, looks like it'll be August before your gonna fish there

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
We just warmed up down in lower elevation and hit 95 Degrees today. Up there it was more like 45 degrees. Over night lows have been in the low to mid 30's up there.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yea, gonna be awhile before that thaws with those temps, unless it warms up really fast.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Lefty, we really needed that reminder. Nice pictures....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Great pics lefty, gotta love the high country in the spring but with the exception of getting to the higher lakes. They just opened one of my roads here last night (news article below if interested) to get to some of my favorite spring fisheries although I'm sure the waters I want to hit are ice free. Those lakes of yours are locked up ptretty tight still. Uusally all our high elevation roads are open by memorial but this year theres alot that will be closed for awhile still

https://www.ksl.com/article/46568557/utah-highway-reopening-after-unusually-long-snow-closure
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
MOst of the Roads to the high country around here are opened by the end of May.  THey said a while back it might be closer to the end of JUne. I saw 2 gates stilled closed up there.
<===Lefty===

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If it's still safe ice I would still be ice fishing it if it was me lol
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
badbrad...I would too but I’m too old to shovel “feets” of snow to get to the ice, let alone snowshoeing to the lake! I think I’ll wait for the thaw!  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Just so you know,3 weeks ago they said there was 42" of ice up there and of course the snow was still falling. The Grand Mesa recorder 568" of snow this year. Even though people were ice fishing it all winter and packing down the snow I am too old to get up there and all of a sudden sink down to my knees and try and get out.
<===Lefty===

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Lefty thank you for the photos ,I converted the snowfall total into feet comes to 47 feet 4 inches. It will be interesting to see once the ice melts what effect being iced over for so long had on the lake's fish. May there not be a sudden warm up in the Grand Mesa or I see flooding from all the snow melt.
 Steve

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wow, that's a lot of snow. Is that typical for there or more than in years past? When do the lakes there usually thaw?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Wow, that's a lot of snow. Is that typical for there or more than in years past? When do the lakes there usually thaw?
It says 420" is about the average per year.  As far as snow melt and flooding it has already started 3 weeks ago. It is supposed to be mid to the end of June for peak runoff. All the mountain's around me have a lot of snow on them. The San Juan Mountains got a lot more than the Grand Mesa. I beleive it was close to 760"
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.