Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Macbride fish structure  (Read 4230 times)

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Macbride fish structure
« on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:43 AM »
I am fairly new to the area. Having lived in northern WI I guess I kind of got spoiled by abundant lakes and fish.  It seems like I could go to any lake, fish any spot, and catch fish.  However, fishing in Iowa seems to be quite different.  I fished Macbride several times and have only caught a few lousy 4 inch bluegills.  I was wondering if anybody out there knows where any structure is in Macbride.  Any rock bottoms, weed beds, logs, brush piles?

I also heard that they spent a ton of money to drain and build new fish habitat in Macbride a few years ago.  Can anybody tell me where some of the newly created structure is?  

Does anybody know exactly were the long artificial reef was built during reconstruction off the Universally Accessible Pier?  I guess it contains Volkswagen-sized boulders.

arrowhead

Re:Macbride fish structure
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:02 PM »
jj4smith......

Do you have a GPS unit? If you do I could tell you some way points of the lake I use.
  But if you don't, check In the IDNR webs site and see if you can find the contour map of the lake. It's a new map so it will have brush piles and rock reefs maked on it.  If you can't find it on the web, check bait shops around the lake for the maps!

arrowhead

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Heck yeah I have a GPS unit!  That would be great if you could give me some coordinates of some structure.

You also mentioned checking some bait shops around the lake.  What bait shops are there around the lake?  The only bait shop that I know about is Finn and Feather in Iowa City and they only sell really small minnows.  Do any bait shops sell any descent sized shinners around here?

arrowhead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2004, 04:40 PM »
check at North Libery Doors in North Liberty for shiners, not sure if they have any or not.
I'm looking at my map right now, and the only way points it gives are for rock reef and rock piles, do u still want them? If u still want them what arm of the lake do u want, north or south arm?

arrowhead

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2004, 09:07 PM »
That would be great if I could get the coordinates for the North arm structure. Thanks.

arrowhead

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2004, 10:43 PM »
A B C D and E way points are the south side of the North Arm, and F G H I J are North side of the North Arm.

A:   N 41 48.328'  W 91 33.081'
  B:   N 41 48.321'  W 91 33.171
  c:   N 41 48.324'  W 91 33.438'
  D:   N 41 48.320'  W 91 33.438'
  E:   N 41 48 .310' W 91 33.501'

F:   N 41 48.323'  W  91 33. 986'
  G:   N 41 48.378'  W  91 33.949'
  H:   N 41 48.381'  W  91 33.916'
  I:    N 41 48.428'  W  91 48.428'
  J:    N 41 48.499'  W  91 48.499'

There ya go, good luck!

arrowhead

Offline jj4smith

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Thanks much. I appreciate it!

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:26 AM »
jj

Hey I just moved from Marion last year and spent a lot of time on Mac and Coralville last year.  Shoot me an e-mail and I can probably give you some more info.

Belly

Doolyrod

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Hey Belly,

I live in Marion now and could use some help finding the crappies at Coraville and McBride. If you have any good suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Later,
Doolyrod

jj

Hey I just moved from Marion last year and spent a lot of time on Mac and Coralville last year.  Shoot me an e-mail and I can probably give you some more info.

Belly

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:21 AM »
You wouldn't by chance be one of the Marion Dooleys would you?  I'll get back to you when I have a couple more minutes to chat, kind of busy today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.