Author Topic: Free to me clam jr! But needs help  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
Free to me clam jr! But needs help
« on: Jul 12, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I was helping a good friend of mine clean out his shed today so he can tear it down. He came across a clam jr that he used years ago,and forgot he had. He was just going to throw it out since he knew the canvas was shot from mice. So I told him is take it. I didn't mess with it untill I got home. Soo.... Good news, it was free!.. Bad news canvas is shot. However it got me thinking,  the past 2 years my 8 yr old son who loves to fish always had friends come along, all of which they're parents don't fish, so they have just an absolute blast and always want to go. So my thoughts were to try and get a new canvas for it and it can be my sons to use when friends come along. I have a quick fish 3 but when 3 or 4 kids come along a couple of us are outside. I found out I can't order a replacement canvas. Oh and the floor and poles are all in good shape. Anyone have any ideas? I thought about calling a tent and awning place but I'm worried how much it will cost. But it's to good to let it go to waste. Any ideas would be great.
Sorry for the long post!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Free to me clam jr! But needs help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I made one a couple years ag out of some harbor freight tarps and duck tape it only lasted a few seasons but it was really cheap. Might be worth a try.

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Old Goat yes it is suit case style

Offline Rwolff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Thanks I'll look into it!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I have a friend who is into sail.  They have a sail repair tape that is better than duct tape to repair torn sails.  With some tent fabric and some tape you could repair the clam.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Around this area there several Amish. Some of them advertise canvas repair. If you can locate any Amish They could probably direct you to one with this skill. They can be most helpful and do very good quality work. You may hve to locate the material you want so you don't get something too thick.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2022, 04:04 PM »
Old Goat yes it is suit case style

I got one here

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:54 PM »
I had a Clam jr. years ago.. fine once you set it up but assembling the poles and getting the canvas on in the cold and wind is a PITA!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2022, 06:22 PM »
I p/u a couple suitcases every year & turn em' into these for spearing & it's like jigging in a bathtub for panfish.
35.00 total for shelf material , floor hinge & sitting side mat.
Don't care how da exterior looks.
Gorrilla tape & 2 coats flex-all covers mouse holes, bigger ones are same process w/ fabric from craft store.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2022, 04:40 PM »
& just realized I'm responding to a 9 yr old thread

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2022, 10:53 PM »
 :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2022, 07:07 PM »
I was helping a good friend of mine clean out his shed today so he can tear it down. He came across a clam jr that he used years ago,and forgot he had. He was just going to throw it out since he knew the canvas was shot from mice. So I told him is take it. I didn't mess with it untill I got home. Soo.... Good news, it was free!.. Bad news canvas is shot. However it got me thinking,  the past 2 years my 8 yr old son who loves to fish always had friends come along, all of which they're parents don't fish, so they have just an absolute blast and always want to go. So my thoughts were to try and get a new canvas for it and it can be my sons to use when friends come along. I have a quick fish 3 but when 3 or 4 kids come along a couple of us are outside. I found out I can't order a replacement canvas. Oh and the floor and poles are all in good shape. Anyone have any ideas? I thought about calling a tent and awning place but I'm worried how much it will cost. But it's to good to let it go to waste. Any ideas would be great.
Sorry for the long post!
                       500 spihes and 250 wax worms  for nice canvass for the jr. sound good R Wolf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.