Author Topic: Father and Son Drown Friday 3/9 While Icefishing In New Jersey  (Read 3633 times)

Offline flyingknee

• IceShanty Rookie
What a terrible tradgedy,I hate to put a sad post on here,but figure it could save someone.It is that time of year when the ice gets dangerous.Never go alone when there is even the slightest question about the integrity of the ice.If you don't own ice picks for self rescue,you should think about it.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1173592073133590.xml&coll=1

This next one is close by us here in Pa. and had a much happier ending

http://www.tvfd69.com/index.cfm?fs=news.newsView&News_ID=76

BE SAFE

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Father and Son Drown Friday 3/9 While Icefishing In New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2007, 04:20 PM »
man........condolences to their family  :-\

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2007, 04:45 PM »
I drove up to a reservoir Sunday to check the water level at the ramps below the spillway to put my boat in. The walleye are starting to make their runs upriver and I usually will spend a few days in the boat. When I left I went above the dam where I do a lot of ice fishing to check the condition of the ice and I found a lot of black areas where the ice was obviously in advanced stages of rot. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked out and saw three people standing right in the middle of an area of ice that was blacker than the ace of spades. I know the area they were at was 30 plus FOW. Last week this ice was about 18 inches and very nice but it has been in the upper 60's to mid 70's every day since. To me, not worth the risk, spikes or not.

My heart goes out to the family of the victims in these cases and I too hope people will use the examples to exercise a little common sense.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2007, 05:42 PM »
 Very sad indeed. In this case if they had been a IS member or read the reports posted 3/5 and 3/6 by Pike Popper they might have listened to his warning complete with pictures of the unsafe and deterorating ice at Assapink under the NJ reports and conditions board. I feel the most important thoing you can learn about ice fishing is when NOT TO GO!!! FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Very sad.  Definately not worth it this time of year.  There is always next year.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2007, 07:30 PM »
That is a terrible tragedy.  I feel bad for their families.  I didnt have the best season ever but i did have a really good night out last thursday, thank you god.  Its too bad they had to go one more time.  I know how they feel though.  Thank god i had one good night before ice off or id have been tryin it one more time also.  You definately cannot be safe enough this time of year when even several inches of ice can be rotten and be the end of you.  Im praying for thier families and all  others who feel they have to get one more time on.  If you do go out take every precaution to be safe.  PLEASE!! 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Very sad article. Very heartwrenching. My heart goes out to the family and friends. We all need to remember that there is no such thing as "safe ice" no matter how thick it is. I've always said that the best piece of ice fishing equipment I own is my hypothermia float suit. I believe that all avid ice fisherman should own one.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Peace be with them and condolences to their family.

Offline flyingknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:27 AM »
Very sad article. Very heartwrenching. My heart goes out to the family and friends. We all need to remember that there is no such thing as "safe ice" no matter how thick it is. I've always said that the best piece of ice fishing equipment I own is my hypothermia float suit. I believe that all avid ice fisherman should own one.

Bladebait,interesting about the hypothermia suit.Can you tell us any more about them?Thanks

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2007, 08:14 AM »
It's always sad when you hear of someone loosing thier lives just trying to enjoy a sport they love. My heart goes out to the family's who have lost their loved ones. You will surely be in my prayers today. Hopefully you and your son are in heaven ice fishing with the Lord. Amen. Please everyone "BE SAFE" and stay on top. God Bless

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Bladebait,interesting about the hypothermia suit.Can you tell us any more about them?Thanks

They are a coverall type suit with insulation that floats.(something like a snowmobile suit) Their purpose is to keep you afloat and provide hypothermia protection in frigid waters should you fall through the ice. Like having a life jacket on. They are super warm and need very little worn underneath the suit.(I just wear my jeans and sweatshirt) I have a wife and two young sons and everytime I hear of a tragedy like this I can't help but get sick about it. For all of those who love to ice fish or fish from a boat in cold water I urge you to check out one of these suits! I will be willing to bet you will love it! You owe it to yourself and your family!

Check Ebay under "survival suit". You can get one anywhere from $75 - $175 as a rule which is a great deal. I would recommend the Stearns I-580 Worksuit or the Mustang Survival #2175. All of my ice fishing buddies own one and absolutely love it!
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Bassfishin1983

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin Till The Day I Die!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2007, 06:53 PM »
All Of NY Fisherman and famlies blessings are going out to the family of these lost soles. God Bless these to men.
Its Just A Way Of Life, Some People Just Dont Understand.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:54 PM »
Tragic! God bless, the entire family.

Offline flyingknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2007, 10:03 AM »
They are a coverall type suit with insulation that floats.(something like a snowmobile suit) Their purpose is to keep you afloat and provide hypothermia protection in frigid waters should you fall through the ice. Like having a life jacket on. They are super warm and need very little worn underneath the suit.(I just wear my jeans and sweatshirt) I have a wife and two young sons and everytime I hear of a tragedy like this I can't help but get sick about it. For all of those who love to ice fish or fish from a boat in cold water I urge you to check out one of these suits! I will be willing to bet you will love it! You owe it to yourself and your family!

Check Ebay under "survival suit". You can get one anywhere from $75 - $175 as a rule which is a great deal. I would recommend the Stearns I-580 Worksuit or the Mustang Survival #2175. All of my ice fishing buddies own one and absolutely love it!

THanks Blade.That is the first I ever heard of them,though I'm sure they have been around for awhile.I will look into one,it sounds like it should be essential gear.I recognize the name Stearns from life preservers.Good luck.

Offline SJohn01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2007, 10:08 AM »
That really sucks. Sounds like they were veteran ice fisherman too, it can happen to anybody
Remember me?

Smarter than your average Krim

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2007, 09:25 PM »
That makes me very sad, I'm trully sorry for the loss of these two men and wish their family well.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.