Author Topic: Ice Fishing occupational hazard ?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
Ice Fishing occupational hazard ?
« on: Mar 09, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Wow.  Its now official. everyone I regularly fish with has been (neatly or not )sliced by a blade on their auger. 
I was talking with my brother today and he was telling me about my nephew being stitched up last week after the blade on his auger sliced his thumb.  Me, I got my hand cut last year when I foolishly tried to use a blade to cut a piece of plastic off my new rod handle.  My brother cut his finger about ten years ago.
 Most of you guys are thinking we must be a bunch of dumb aaaaaaaaa's which might be in some situations but I have to believe that others have done the same.
Even though I had ice fished for just shy of 40 years before I cut myself I guess you can never be too careful.
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing occupational hazard ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 06:42 PM »
I am proud to say that I have never been attacked by my auger...How does that happen? I am sure it wouldn't take much to get cut but I keep the cover on mine any time I am not using it and I treat it like a loaded gun when I am using it.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:20 PM »
it happens by a slip of an hand puttin on the blade gard...or slippin and fallin on it...ive had to get stiches before for an auger blade

i heard a guy fell on a nils once :o cut his leg wide open
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:14 PM »
Cant say Ive ever had to get stitches but I have a pair of pac boots that have a nice patch on the top of the foot . Happened in a bit of a fog one afternoon , drilled a hole,  started talking to my buddie , put the auger on my foot and bingo Im leakin . The worse thing about it was I had just gotten the boots .
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I can't believe I'm going to tell this story.  I was 19 years old and it was June.  I just got back from Irondequoit Bay after killing the walleyes that night.  I was sitting on the couch and saw lightning out the front window.  I ran out through the back porch (enclosed) to cover my boat.  It was dark and I didn't bother to turn on the light.  At the time, I stored my icefishing equipment on the back porch.  All the sudden I hit my foot on something and it stuck there.  I ran back to the kitchen on one foot.  I took my hand off of the bottom of my foot and the blood was pouring out of my foot.  I was rushed to the hospital and had stitches put in my foot.  I had hit my foot on my gas auger blade (auger cover was not on my auger correctly), and sliced my foot to the bone.  The cut was 4" long and to the bone all the way.  I was on crutches for a month and a half.  I would post the picture but I do not have a scanner.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:18 PM »
I was walking in off the lake last year and bumped my leg. There was a good cut in my pants and a dull "punch" of pain. Didnt think much and kept walking. Got inside and went to check for a bruise and blood was all over. Had to go get stitches. It was a real deep cut that you could see a bunch of fat in
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I was walking in off the lake last year and bumped my leg. There was a good cut in my pants and a dull "punch" of pain. Didnt think much and kept walking. Got inside and went to check for a bruise and blood was all over. Had to go get stitches. It was a real deep cut that you could see a bunch of fat in
my friend hit his leg with the auger and it went through a pair of carhart bibs,jeans ,long underwear and his lacrosse burly's and still cut his leg not bad but still all that and cut him.I told he is lucky he didnt have a lazer!!!!
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:53 AM »
i sharpen my fillette knife all the time.  ive cut my fingers more than ever this winter lol.  i have a bandaid on my middle finger as i type this.  man that knife slices deep when the fish slips  :o  also the other day, i didnt take my ice spikes, my feet slipped out from under me, and landed right on my shoulderblades, i bounced up, aas manlaw requires, and laughed it off,. i thought my hand was broken lol. now my armpit hurts
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:07 AM »
Yup, putting the cover on my finbore III.  Darn thing was so sharp that it didn't even hurt.  I could see bone!  Super glued it together.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2007, 12:33 PM »
A couple years ago I was walking up a somewhat steep hill after fishing, I fell and somehow in the process the auger blade cover came off of the Laser and got my thumb in the tumble.  At first I got up and picked everything up, not thinking much about it.  Then I started to see blood drip from my glove.  I didn't feel a thing when it made a perfect slit through insulated gloves and went deep into my finger.  I left the gear on the hill after I discovered the cut, went to the car and ripped part of my tshirt off to wrap around the finger and then used electric tape to tape it up nice and tight.  I went back and got my gear, and proceeded to go home.  About half way home I started to feel funny, maybe it was shock sinking in late, I don't know for sure.  But I made it home, took off the tape, cleaned up the cut and rewrapped it, probably should have required stiches since it was almost to the bone.  As it heeled my finger turned a pale white.  Ever since then I am always paranoid about the auger blades.  Be careful with the blades, sharper than you can imagine.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.