Author Topic: HELP? LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM OLDER JIFFY TO NEW STX  (Read 537 times)

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
HELP? LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM OLDER JIFFY TO NEW STX
« on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:13 AM »
I have a 5 or 6 year old Jiffy Legend 3-HP model 31 (I think it's a 31 because the power head is yellow) with a 10" "D-Ice'R Armor" auger.  The blades should be sharpened or changed.  Thought about replacing my 10" auger bit with a 8" "Stealth STX".  This may come as a supprise (not) but you can't buy just the "STX" auger part.  Has anyone tried to convert the old style to the new.  You would have to drill holes in the V-shaped point of the auger for the new chipper part.  I think the cut-out in the bottom plate is smaller on the old style and this may need modified.  I haven't bought the new blades yet but I wonder if the holes will line up with the old ones?  Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HELP? LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM OLDER JIFFY TO NEW STX
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2007, 08:30 AM »
That would make way too much sense...to be able to add the two blades to the point of an existing bit....Then Jiffy wouldn't be able to sell you a +$100 new auger bit!  I called Jiffy the first year those ripper blades showed up, asking to do the same thing.  The sales lady said it would not work.  The blades have to be installed in the exact correct location in order for them to work properly.  I think if I had some drawings/template, I could take by bit to a local machine shop, and they could drill the holes!

Offline HUNTER16

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: HELP? LOOKING TO UPGRADE FROM OLDER JIFFY TO NEW STX
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2007, 09:02 AM »
If I could buy the 8" STX auger for $100 I'd be happy.  I sent an e-mail to Jiffy and they told me I couldn't just buy the auger part.  I found the sweet spot on mine and it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull every time.  No reason to get rid of the whole thing.
Happiest when on a frozen lake!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.