Author Topic: Wierdest thing you have seen while icefishing  (Read 7642 times)

Offline walleyecrazyx22

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye.. SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
Wierdest thing you have seen while icefishing
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:34 PM »
 ive seen a pike's back half out of the hole, while the stomach down frozen in the hole..
thought someony left a tip-up
ill upload the picture when i find it
what have u guys seen
?

Good fishing,

David
Walleye... Purely fantastic
Biggest to date: 12.6 pounds 33 inches[/u]
Calling lake, Alberta
Summer of 2006
Simply the best lake ive ever fished

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: Wierdest thing you have seen while icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:54 PM »
first time i ever used my aqua view in about 12fow a perch around 10" was upside down putting its dorsal fin in the mud and squirming like crazy sturring up the bottom never heard of such a thing but make sense after seein it i beleive he was eating something in the mud

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:11 AM »
ive seen a pike's back half out of the hole, while the stomach down frozen in the hole..
what have u guys seen
?

Good fishing,

David

not to get off topic, becuase I cant think of any crazy times off hand. but you caught a 39" walleye???
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:12 AM »
A coyote checking old holes for minnows left on top.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:40 AM »
Cant find the picture , but someone sent me a picture of a guy icefishing and as he was catching perch he was feeding them to a bald eagle standing right beside him on the ice , that was pretty cool . I believe that it was somewere in the Finger Lakes but I am not sure ? Jigger :tipup: :tipup:
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Not really weird, but LOL funny...was on Winnipesauki fishing, no snow on the ice at all and it was really windy.  This guy drives his mini-van out, gets out opens the hatchback which acted like a sail and the mini-van proceeded to act like a wind-surfer across the lake.  I bet the guy chased that car over 3 miles before he caught up to it.

Offline dsmatuska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Lucky Man.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Not really weird, but LOL funny...was on Winnipesauki fishing, no snow on the ice at all and it was really windy.  This guy drives his mini-van out, gets out opens the hatchback which acted like a sail and the mini-van proceeded to act like a wind-surfer across the lake.  I bet the guy chased that car over 3 miles before he caught up to it.
Same thing happened to me with my plastic auger cover.  Not quite as expensive as a minivan but I had to run a couple hundred yards to get it.  Thank God for ice cleats.
I CAN clean fish.  My wife, on the other hand, prides herself in the art of filleting fish.  I mean to tell you, she can fillet ANYTHING, therefore I call myself "The Lucky Man."

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I think the bald eagle pic was in maine if I remember correctly and it was or is posted somewhere on this site.  I saw a deer that was frozen tinto the ice thats the worst so far

Offline walleyecrazyx22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Yes i did catch a 39 inch walleye
12.6 pounds

took 15 mins to get in..
Calling lake, Alberta
Summer of 2006

Offline snelly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my new shanty
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I caught a lake trout icefishing that was 25" when I pulled it out of the hole it had a hook in it's mouth with a fly rod and reel attached to it. It must have been dragging that pole all around the lake since open water fishing.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:15 PM »
i think you mean 29 inch walleye.

Michigan state record is 17 pounds and only 35 inches. Your 39 inch fish is only 12 pounds?
I caught on Christmas two years ago, a 26.5 inch Walleye that weighed close to ten pounds. Your Walleye at 39" must have been anorexic or radio-active!

Did you mean 29"?

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Yeah I deffinately think he meant 29''

Offline BOB/NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Woman running bare ass on the ice beat that!!!

Offline salmohunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:55 PM »
A buddy of mine was fishing with pin shiners. He got a flag and took a salmon.. Funny thing. The salmon spit the bait out... A smelt took the pin shiner, then the salmon took both pin & smelt. This smelt wasn't much bigger than the shiner. But it managed to get it 1/2 down..
All fisherman are lier's....Except you and me....And I'm not so sure about you...

Offline salmohunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Ok BOB/NH I'm within driving distance. Give me some directions.. ;D
All fisherman are lier's....Except you and me....And I'm not so sure about you...

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:10 PM »
This happened on late ice. The ice was honeycombed but 12” plus.  Picked out a spot which I thought to be a good spot for fishing. So fired up the 10” gas auger and drilled maybe 8 inches down and the white ice shavings begin to turn brown, then a dark red. So I stop and begin to clear the shavings and take a closer look. I had drilled trough a deer that had fallen though the ice in early season and was now frozen solid in the surrounding water. It turned out that the 10” hole was being drilled through the abdomen and luckily not through the skull, otherwise that would have ruined the blade. 
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:28 PM »
Fire up the grill and cut up those Loins , yum , hey its been frozen ? Good pike fishing when spring hits .  ;D ;D
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline walleyecrazyx22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:14 PM »
GUYS THERE HAS BEEN A MISTAKE!!!

Reading is 33 inches
looked like 39 in the measure picture  >:(

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSMENT GUYS!

Good fishing,

David
Calling lake, Alberta
Summer of 2006

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:17 PM »
Let a friend use my one man pro clam while my son and I use the two man.Cut holes within 20 feet of of beaver hut. This guy has never been ice fishing after I get him set up heater on, show him how to use the vex, he flips the top down.We where fishing about an hour, and getting some nice crappie and he is having a great time.My son said look dad, a beaver is nosing my transducer,it leaves and swims up my friends hole and sit on the ice,he start screaming like a little girl, the shanty fly's open,his eye's are as big as a fifty cent peice and my son I  busted up for an hour.He fished the rest of the day but not with the top down.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:34 PM »

Ok...where are the pictures to prove it!   ;D

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:46 PM »
I was fishing a couple weeks ago in pennsylvania and i looked up the lake here comes this guy riding his bike across the lake the next thing i see he makes a sharp turn and ends up on his face what an idiot
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline Big-Jake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shackless wonder
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:09 AM »
what have u guys seen
?

Fishing a small pool in maine last year with a couple of kids - one of the ids caught a pike. Took a picture and threw it back but removing the hook about a three inch section of lip broke off. About a year later fishing the same hole with the same kids I caught a pike that was a little bigger but the catch is the fish was missing the same amount of lip in the same spot. As good as a radio tag - definitely the same fish. got pics I'll have to look

forever in search of,
"BIGNASTY"
A friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a good friend will be sitting beside you in the cell yelling holy sh** that was fun!

Offline B14U2NV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:16 AM »
A couple of ladies taking their goats for a walk

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:16 AM »
I saw a bike with spikes in it's tires riding all over the lake

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:32 AM »
The scarf floating in water on my aqua vu....not weird but creepy. When I went to go fishing again the next day and found out a human body was pulled up 20 yards from my hole. The scarf had belonged to her..

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Good thing it was only the scarf.  Can you imagine dropping the aquaview down and seeing the body.  That would freak me out enough to never want to use the aquaview again.  Talk about chumming your holes.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:40 AM »
I didn't realize it at the time but I did get a picture of a naked lady while I was ice fishing up in AK quite a few years ago!  She was posing for a photographer on a picnic table and thought that we were far enough away to not notice ;D Well my wife noticed but didn't tell us untill they had left since it was some one we all knew :-X  When I got my pics back there were a couple that I took of us fishing with her in the backround :o

Offline Fishin2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:03 PM »
While fishing in Michigan a few years ago, We had just set up when a smart a** comes walking by, pulling his shanty by hand and smarts off they fished here yesterday, we should find a new spot. Well,after a verbal insult ensued, he backed down and walked on. About two hrs goes by and the wind picked up something fierce. Twenty minutes later, we hear a girl screaming, well, it wasn't a girl, but was this yahoo, sailing across the ice 20 mi an hour with his head out the door. Must have watched him travel a 1/4 mi on the slick ice. We all went outside to bid him well ;D and he had the nerve to wave us off!  Still laugh when I think of it. ::)Mike

Offline Badgermilk27

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #28 on: Mar 08, 2007, 03:44 PM »
Well, a few years ago, my buddy and I were fishing, definitely not catching, and this little guy came out of a hole behind us and started stealing bait from our minnow bucket.  I tried to pick him up, but no dice and almost lost a finger.  With Possumilk manning the disposable camera, I was making this mink do tricks for each minnow it got, and every time it would grab the minnow and run back to shore somewhere, his den I am guessing, and then come loping back out onto the ice.  Well I got a little carried away and decided how I could get this guy to get the best picture, and here it is...
LURE (n): expensive metal or plastic device used to locate rocks and trees on lake and river bottoms.  (also see: disposable)

Offline rrfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 08, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Nice photo badgermilk :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.