Author Topic: new reel  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
new reel
« on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:01 PM »
I'm looking at the Quantum Energy PTI (model E10PTiA) and the Shimano Stradic (model ST1000FH) as a new icefishing reel.  I've heard a few reports about the Quantum getting messed up from using superlines(the line was cutting into where the line rests by the bail..)  I also know guys who have used the Stradic and love it and guys who have used the Energy and love it.  Just wondering everyones opinion on here, and if anyone has used either of these reels before.

Thanks for any info!

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: new reel
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2007, 08:37 PM »
I would stay away from the Stradic for an ice reel or for any use really.  It has a nylon bushing inside that the spool shaft moves through.  This bushing collects water and swells, resulting in the reel binding up and being unusable.   The reel doesn't have to be dunked to have this happen.  I managed a tackle shop for 3 years and seen this numerous times.

I would get the Energy reel in a heart beat or check out an Okuma Metaloid or Epixor which are far cheaper and are really good reels.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2007, 09:16 PM »
has anyone used the Cabelas tournament ZX spinning reel?

I would post a link, but its not working.. :-\

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:33 AM »
Buy Okuma! They're built like Sherman tanks and smooth as silk.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:38 AM »
i agree okuma is affordable and i use them on hard and soft water i caught a 40 lb salmon on 10 lb test line the drags are very good i own 6 of them myself each reel comes with 2 spools one metal one plastic

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Buy Okuma! They're built like Sherman tanks and smooth as silk.
RG
Somebody FORGOT to tell my Okuma ultra light 10's that they should be sherman tanks. The worst reels I've ever owned. Bought a 4 pack on e-bay and have trouble with 2 gear boxes and one broke a bail spring all in the one season fishing small jigs from my boat. I also have the Stratus #20 which I use with 10lb fireline and many times when making a cast the line hits the bail and trips it shut. Maybe I would be better off by buying the higher priced models. I like the ultra light reels though and would like input on which ones seem to be durable.
                                                                                                                        Jack

Offline deerslayer92163

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • perch,crappie,w alleye,steelhea d,northern,etc.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:40 AM »
i have 3 av-40s and 3 av-50s and use them year round

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:54 AM »

I found the Okuma AE-10 to be no better than my Tica Cetus SB500. They both had excellant drags but the Okuma had noticeably more play in the shaft and handle. The Okuma also was priced at roughly double the Tica.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:33 PM »
I found the Okuma AE-10 to be no better than my Tica Cetus SB500. They both had excellant drags but the Okuma had noticeably more play in the shaft and handle. The Okuma also was priced at roughly double the Tica.

So I take it you like your Tica ???? Where did you purhase it ????

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:51 PM »

I tried locally with no luck. Then I tried the site sponsors with no luck. I finally found the Tica's online for $30 a piece .... 2 of them delivered to the door was $68.00. Try doing a search for Tica SB500 and something should pop up.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I use Cetus reels for all my crappies and walleye rods. Never had any trouble at all and I use them alot. For trout I need a little bit larger spool and I use a cheap shimano Senora.... I also dont use the same reels for ice fishing as I do for summer fishing cause I take all the grease out of my winter reels so they dont gum up and I know I would forget to re-add the grease for the summer time. Also it allows the drag to stay useful in colder weather. Also I have to agree with rgfixit when it comes to Okuma....I have never had luck with them in the cold. I use a baitcaster for trout early and later season (warmer weather fishing) cause of the smoother drop and smoother drag for trout. I used the Okuma  vs-200 and it lasted about 3 jigs before the bearings were letting go and my handle was free wheeling....I wasnt happy at all. Also after having 2 of their spinning reels in the summer go on me in less than a year I have walked past all Okuma reels in tackles stores now.

Offline steelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:24 PM »
I own the quantum 20 pti. I love it ! the drag is so smooth. The part about the line wearing is true.  I use mine strictly steelhead fishing and it wears with 6lb. mono. But if you are fishing through the ice, not to many fish burn off alot of line and that is when the wearing happens. I contacted quantum and they sent me a new part at now charge, or you could send them the reel and they will fix it at no charge. I just had them send the part cause it is a easy fix. Thats what you get when you buy a exspensive reel. They back them 100%, no questions asked.  When i called quantum they said they were aware of the problem and in the process of fixing it, that was a year ago. So, they may have it fixed buy now. I also asked if they get the problem fixed if i could get that part and they said i can get any parts for free.... as far as the rest of the reel, no problems the titanium bail is great you can bend it around and it will always come back to its position. The body of the reel does not scratch. ( easily )
I have owned mine for 2 years not a scratch. Enjoy.........
You Don't Know, If You Don't Go !!!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:59 PM »

I tried locally with no luck. Then I tried the site sponsors with no luck. I finally found the Tica's online for $30 a piece .... 2 of them delivered to the door was $68.00. Try doing a search for Tica SB500 and something should pop up.

Thanks again wolf !

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:19 PM »
I think you will find a Shimano Symetry 750 to be a very fine reel. The Stradic 1000 is a bit large, but if you need the line capacity it will fill the bill.

I would stay away from the Stradic for an ice reel or for any use really.  It has a nylon bushing inside that the spool shaft moves through.  This bushing collects water and swells, resulting in the reel binding up and being unusable.   The reel doesn't have to be dunked to have this happen.  I managed a tackle shop for 3 years and seen this numerous times.

I would get the Energy reel in a heart beat or check out an Okuma Metaloid or Epixor which are far cheaper and are really good reels.

I fish nothing but Shimanos and have never had a problem with any of them. I have a few that are over 12 years old that have never bound. Shimano has the smoothest pinion I have ever turned.

I have two friends that swear by Quantum, and replace them every couple years. ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2007, 10:19 AM »
I think the stradic is an awesome reel. i have had several and have had no problems. They are great in saltwater too.  I use the Spirex 500 for ice fishing. It is smaller and you don't need the smoother drag.  I also have an Ambassadeur Cardinal, which is a good reel, but tends to be a little stiff in really cold weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.