Author Topic: Natures Call…unpleasant, but it should be said!  (Read 14916 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Natures Call…unpleasant, but it should be said!
« on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:43 AM »
With portable tents, hard sides, trucks which the door could be opened for a screen, why do so many answer the call in the open and right on the ice? If you or anyone you know have ever been hospitalized, you know that they give you the plastic urinal to take home when you leave. This works just perfect to collect and take-off the ice with you your deposit. More than that, there are many women and children on the ice who do not need to witness this. If you confront every person you see doing this you would be constantly fighting. We all need to spread the word to our fellow sportsmen to modest-up for the sake of our children, women, sport, and the water quality of our lakes. Sometimes hearing it from a friend or relative would have more meaning than a stranger who would anger them and cause them to do it more. A container of any kind that will seal is better than nothing, and at least facing a barren direction if no other way is possible would be a start. The more containers you bring the longer you could stay. Enough said, it just seems to be getting worse, and the profanity, well that is no better. Almost afraid to bring the family out sometimes, even though I’m sure they keep quiet to what they see and hear most of the time. If all of our efforts combined changed just a few it would be a step in the right direction. Witnessed this the last two days in a row.  No need for this IMO.  Just venting.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Natures Call…unpleasant, but it should be said!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:38 AM »
well said!cripes use a coffee can.one of the lakes i fish has a lake association and they would like to prohibit all ice fishermen,because of this problem

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:45 AM »
It is always nice when the people that live on the lake have to pick up bags of dump on their beach in the spring. :sick:

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:17 AM »
They wouldn't like it if someone was to do it in there yard would they.  It's easy, just take a container from laundry soap or something, it works great.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:38 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say that while i agree that in most all situations nobody should relieve themselves in public. if I'm out icefishing, and its all guys on the ice Ive got no problem taking a stroll to the shoreline to go water some cattails. the way i figure is that if you can't see the stream or the business end whats the big deal ? not like human urine is going to do any harm to the lake anyways.

As for on the open ice if i absolutely have to, i will go away from the group out to where nobody fishes and nobody can see me, and kneel down when i do it. i will only do this if a stroll to the shoreline is out of question and all the houses are far enough away to where they cannot tell what exactly it is I'm doing.

With the way the minnow bucket likes to spill in the jet sled I'm surely not going to transport a coffee can full of territory marker.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say that while i agree that in most all situations nobody should relieve themselves in public. if I'm out icefishing, and its all guys on the ice Ive got no problem taking a stroll to the shoreline to go water some cattails. the way i figure is that if you can't see the stream or the business end whats the big deal ? not like human urine is going to do any harm to the lake anyways.

As for on the open ice if i absolutely have to, i will go away from the group out to where nobody fishes and nobody can see me, and kneel down when i do it. i will only do this if a stroll to the shoreline is out of question and all the houses are far enough away to where they cannot tell what exactly it is I'm doing.

With the way the minnow bucket likes to spill in the jet sled I'm surely not going to transport a coffee can full of territory marker.
Im with him.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:36 AM »
It all depends on where and how I'm fishing... for those of us without clams, either way the "business" end of the situation is comin out.  I always say do it where no one can see you.   When the lake is crowded I'll either take a stroll to shore or when then that's not a good idea, take a knee behind the sled somewhere. A few guys urinating into a lake isnt gonna ruin anything.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:13 PM »
Where do the fish do their business? :D :D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:19 PM »
I use a plastic ice cream bucket. Snap the lid on and put it in my sled. We never go on the ice here in South Dakota because it may stampede the sheep. They are nervous enough around here. I blame stumper.  :whistle: ;)2
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2007, 12:58 PM »
I use a plastic ice cream bucket. Snap the lid on and put it in my sled. We never go on the ice here in South Dakota because it may stampede the sheep. They are nervous enough around here. I blame stumper.  :whistle: ;)2

LOL ;D ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:08 PM »
I always wanted to do this and finally got the chance. Remember those kids that were raising heck around me earlier this yr? We took a 5 gallon bucket and put what I "cleaned" from the dog kennel in it along with a note that said " clean up your chit and I wont leave mine here for you to find". Then snapped a lid on it and wrote "ice fishing  $!^T  on it. Took it up and left it in the parking area by their car with and old rod sitting on top of it. Then went back to the shack and waited for them to leave. When they found it ,the loud kid proclaimed it was his, HE SAW IT FIRST.LOL. And they stuck it in the back seat and left. ROFLMAO. I asked the other kids dad if his kid had found anything out to the lake because I LOST A BUCKET AND POLE. He about pi$$ed himself laughing . He took the lid off for them when they got home. I wouloda paid to be there for that,lol.

Offline icefishermanmark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:08 PM »
What do we do on the boat in the summer?  I know most guys I fish with either hang it off the side, or go in a bucket and dump it in the lake.  Fish, ducks, geese, swans, muscrats etc... all go potty in the lake, a few fisherman won't hurt it.  I agree, try and hide it best you can, but there's no way I'm transporting my urine back with me.  My main question is what do you do when you gotta go #2?  I've never encountered this situation before...
Some fishermen sit at home during the winter dreaming about fishing.  The real ones go out and do it.

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Coffee can...and it's tougher for us ladies to disguise our calls of nature...I park the RAV in such a way that I have a bit of privacy those moments.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:17 PM »
One of my favorite lakes has restrooms on shore. I think it is well worth the walk. Not worth the smell, but worth it nonetheless.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2007, 01:31 PM »
I keep a roll of garbage bags in my hardside. Stick one in a 5 gallon bucket and dump away. Double bag it and take it home to the burn pit or garbage can on shore.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2007, 02:31 PM »
When someone's gotta go, they gotta go.
If the rest of us don't want to watch, we can turn our heads the other way.

IN REFERENCE TO URINE.
Cripes I've taught my kids that the deer pee in the lake when they come down to take a drink, beavers pee in the lake, fish and waterfowl pee in the lake.  If a human has to stop and drop trou and drain the bladder, it's no different.  It's just a biological function that we all do, much like blowing your nose, or swallowing. 
I beleive the only reason it's a big deal for most of us is because our moms had hang ups about it and taught us it was a big deal.  I grew up on a farm where it wasn't a big deal, which probably has a lot to do with why I have the outlook that I've expressed in this posting. 

I AM DISGUSTED BY POOP or POOP BAGS being left out there though. 
We use the bucket with a seat on it and a garbage bag in it.  AND We dispose of our bags properly.
Even if your dog poops out there, pick it up and dispose of it properly.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2007, 02:54 PM »
I don't care where anyone leaks, but don't leave dump bags and piles of scat out on the ice! I stepped in a pile some freak left on Mille Lacs last year! Dog crap is bad enough, but human droppings!  Try digging that out of the tread of your snow boots!!:sick:

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:54 PM »
I don't care where anyone leaks, but don't leave dump bags and piles of scat out on the ice! I stepped in a pile some freak left on Mille Lacs last year! Dog crap is bad enough, but human droppings!  Try digging that out of the tread of your snow boots!!:sick:
  I just pee in the hole I'm fishing in , that way I don't need to salt the fish while cooking.  If you need to go while out on the lk be discreet about it and like the other thread said take the #2 with you also the dogs.

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:01 PM »
They are starting to write you up if they see any yellow snow around your hut here in Ontario now.
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:29 PM »
They are starting to write you up if they see any yellow snow around your hut here in Ontario now.
I understand you can get a ticket here in Michigan also and was told one guy got one on the lake I fish.  I was staying at a campground in Ontario and at the fish cleaning station the drain ran right on top of the ground and your DNR or what ever worries about a little yellow snow. This was a large very nice campground except for that.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:43 PM »
  I just pee in the hole I'm fishing in , that way I don't need to salt the fish while cooking. 

Also helps keep the hole from freezing over.  I will do this too if I'm fishing out in the open or in a portable.  However, I won't do that in a perm shack because pretty soon the shack starts to smell like urine.

Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:20 PM »
Just be discreet, if in the open John BZ has the idea, kneel down like your checking something, scuff a little snow over it. Good time to be thankfull you're male! How did our ancestors ever survive without indoor plumbing.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:34 PM »
One of my favorite lakes has restrooms on shore. I think it is well worth the walk. Not worth the smell, but worth it nonetheless.
SO what do you do take in all your lines pack things up and take them  with you??  On another thread a guy had a spud stolen and he was fishing near by.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Coffee can...and it's tougher for us ladies to disguise our calls of nature...I park the RAV in such a way that I have a bit of privacy those moments.

I have a product called Relief Brief that can be used by either sex. There are two ways to form the top of it to fit either male or female. I bring them along for my son's girl friend. They contain a powder and when the powder gets wet it turns into a gel. They also snap closed, can be put back into the bag and can be put in your pocket. She likes them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:24 PM »
if in the open John BZ has the idea, kneel down like your checking something,

No thanks. Especially when there's no snow on the ice; before I got done, the puddle would be soaking the knees of my Carhartts.   :-\
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:08 PM »
No thanks. Especially when there's no snow on the ice; before I got done, the puddle would be soaking the knees of my Carhartts.   :-\
Hope you can take a little ribbing! You just gotta know a bunch of guys are just dying to type things like, coming up a little short? All in fun, happy fishing.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:19 PM »
Hope you can take a little ribbing! You just gotta know a bunch of guys are just dying to type things like, coming up a little short? All in fun, happy fishing.
I was gonna say "it sucks to have it laying on the ice,so I have to stand." ;D

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:22 PM »
No different than their dogs pooping on my lawn! Feces is feces it stinks and is nasty but a fundamental part of life.

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:40 PM »
as far as pee goes, GET OVER IT. it's only pee and everybody has to do it. If you don't like it, don't watch. Be discreet, turn your back. If there are people all around you, pee in the ice hole in your shanty. It isn't gonna hurt anything. The Romans used to brush their teeth with pee. I'm not recommending this, but it just shows you that pee won't hurt you.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:42 PM »

Don't know where this "bunch of guys" you refer to are doing their Ice Fishing. 
But if you drop your zipper in MN during Ice Fishing Season, chances are the temp is gonna cause you to "come up a little shorter" than normal:pinch:
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.