Author Topic: Can You Help My Daddy?  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Can You Help My Daddy?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2007, 06:40 AM »
Nothing beats taking the young ones fishing.  I take my 9 and 8 year old all the time...a couple weeks ago after a good day on the ice, my youngest says to me "Dad, when you are old I'll take you fishing"...That's what is all about, fishing partner for life  8)

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Wow Jonathan, you type really well for being so young.
I was thinking the same thing, don't be embarassed that you need help fishing, thats what this site is here for.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:10 AM »

Man, what a nice thread! My ten year old is with me all the time now too. On some days the questions are rapid fire, others he's rolling from hole to hole searching them out with no time for talk. You got to love these times, your a good Dad Prairiegoat, and you've got a fine lad to fish with. Tight lines to you both! ;D :) ;) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2007, 01:02 PM »
 ;) Try useing smel or shiners the bigger the better! :thumbsup:

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Favorite Fishin Partner!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 14, 2007, 03:18 PM »
This past weekend my buddie , new to the sport and thorouhgly hooked , brought his son with us . Had a few new tip-ups out ,and his son was only jigging. The boy caught 59 perch , most let go , saved enough for a nice dinner . My buddie learned a tough lesson ! Flag goes of , is also jigging so doesnt run right over to the tip-up . Reels in perch on jigging pole , lets it go , walks over to tip-up , pulls it out of hole . Nothing , I mean nothing , all 200' of line GONE . He never checked the tip-ups after purchasing them ready to fish , that they were actually ready .  :o All in All it was worth a few laughs and his son had a great day which is what it is all about  8)
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!
TEAM MIRC NYRC Official Mic Of Mirc

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #35 on: Feb 14, 2007, 04:43 PM »
My name is Jonathan and I turned seven last month. I go ice fishing with my Daddy a lot in Colorado. I have caught quite a few trout this year, but I want a northern. I have my own tip-up, but I am beginning to wonder if my Daddy knows what he’s doing when he sets it up. He uses a homemade quick-strike rig baited with a frozen sucker. Daddy has caught four 18” to 20” northern on his tip-up when I have stayed home because of school, but I never have a flag when I am along. Do I need to find a new fishing partner or do you think there’s still hope for Daddy?

Hi Prairiegoat,

First of all I think it's great that you and your dad can go out and enjoy a day of fishing together, that's how memories are made. :)

One thing you should not do is give up on your dad.

Like the other have said presenting a smelt, herring, anchovy or other oily fish in the 6 - 8 inch range should be really appealing to the pike, they will follow the scent trail quite some distances to it's source.

Another thing you could do is try presenting your baits at different levels. Try a bait just under the ice, a pike's eyes are near the top of it's head making it easier to watch for things above it rather than below. You could also try one bait a foot to two feet off the bottom.

Don't be afraid to try really shallow water eather.
I have found pike as shallow as 3 feet of water under the ice.

When you use the quick-strike rigs make sure the hooks are near the center of the bait. Pike like to hit a bait sideways and then turn it head first to swallow it. The hooks near the center should hook it on the initial strike.

One last try jigging for some pike with a jigging rod and lure. It's lot of fun to feel the strike of a pike on a jigging rod. A jigging spoon, jig and smelt, or rubber jig should all appeal to the fish.

The last thing is have fun. ;)

You will defiantly remember your first pike.

Good luck to you and your dad, hope to see a photo of you with a pike soon. :tipup:

WW

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 14, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Hey John old buddy, sounds like you got a fishin partner that won't let you down. I had one once, stick with him. My guess is he's holding out for a 2 footer, just for you. Dads do that kinda thing!

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:45 AM »
Like the other have said presenting a smelt, herring, anchovy or other oily fish in the 6 - 8 inch range should be really appealing to the pike, they will follow the scent trail quite some distances to it's source.

Daddy is looking for the bait you said and Mom is going to an Asian fish store today. Saturday I will catch a northern. I will go to bed at 8 so I am ready at 5 to go fishing.

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:53 AM »
Daddy is looking for the bait you said and Mom is going to an Asian fish store today. Saturday I will catch a northern. I will go to bed at 8 so I am ready at 5 to go fishing.
Good luck John you will get that Northern
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Oh yeah, northerns hear pretty good under the ice, so don't make too much noise walking around and stuff, unless they aren't bitting sometimes walking around helps.

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:56 PM »
Best bet buddy no more flags for DAD until you catch your pike. WAIT TILL YOU SEE HOW QUICK YOU CAN CATCH ONE. GOOD LUCK TRY IT. IT SHOULD WOOK RIGHT AWAY.

Offline SJohn01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Good luck Kiddo. Just keep at it and you'll get one soon. Once you do though, watch out, you'll be hooked for life. Congrats on the trout earlier this year too ;-)
Remember me?

Smarter than your average Krim

Offline Colli2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:55 PM »
Hi Johnathan:

Here's what you do: Northern Pike have their eyes situated on top of their head so you need to set your bait just a foot or 18 inches under the ice. They prefer live bait to dead bait but I really don't know the rules in Colorado so I can't say you should do that. Northern like structure (rock piles, humps, sloping ledge, etc) and can be caught in some pretty shallow water. My son lives in Colorado (Highlands Ranch) and has caught some pretty good Northern Pike (to 14 1/2 lbs). If you send me an E-Mail ([email protected]) with your phone number, I'll call your Dad and see if I can hook him up with my son.

Colli2

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2007, 08:25 PM »
No northern, but that is OK because I caught and let go 9 trout today.  :) I think I caught more than my Daddy. We are going back tomorrow so I need to sleep. I will catch my northern tomorrow I hope.  :)

Offline SJohn01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:53 AM »
Well, did you have any luck yesterday?
Remember me?

Smarter than your average Krim

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:26 PM »
Well, did you have any luck yesterday?

Daddy put my tip-up out. We put a herring on it. Did not get a bite today. Daddy caught a 10" northern today on a jig. We caught trout too. Next week I want to go to 11 Mile and catch a northern.

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #46 on: Feb 19, 2007, 09:15 PM »
Hey Prairiegoat ask daddy to bring you up to lake Ontario in new york state ,the pike up here are so hungry they try to eat are fish cameras.Keep trying and keep posting your reports they are great.We fished on sat and caught 11 pike smallest one was 5 and the biggest one at 9lbs.We went on sunday and only got 1 fish about 6lbs,the big fish for the derby was 15lbs and it was a beauty.Goodluck!!!!! :)

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:35 AM »
Did you catch that pike yet? Please reply everyone is hoping you did.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #48 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:03 PM »
My 1st Northern Pike on 03/10/07

3 lbs. 2 oz. - 23"
11 Mile, Colorado
Caught jigging with a quickstrike rig baited with herring.
I caught it all by myself. My daddy grabbed it out of the hole. It was fun and it pulled very hard. I am so happy. A friend of ours took it home and will smoke the meat for me. I think it will taste very good. Wish you all could share it with me. Thank you to everyone who helped me catch my first northern. Your advise helped.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:17 PM »
That is outstanding Prairiegoat. We are all very proud of you and your father. These are the stories that are handed down for a long time. My daughter said it was fun for me to take her fishing today, made me proud as well. Great work guys.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline flyingknee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Mar 10, 2007, 09:29 PM »
WAY TO GO JONATHAN - YOU DA MAN ! ! ! ! !

Great photo.

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Congrats littlegoat !!! Way to go !
I spent all my money on fishin,huntin,and beer  , everything else was just a waste!

Offline irishjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 11, 2007, 02:44 PM »
Hey I hope dad got a few more pics , I know that you have one , but I bet your smile is bigger than that fish !! I know youll never forget this day . Cant wait till I can share the same moment with my son !   :tipup: :tipup:

Offline marshrat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Dont leave fish to find fish
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2007, 07:19 PM »
HEY GREAT JOB

i also caught my 1st northern this year but not as big as that !!!
Christopher S Neal
3rd place 2011 NEIT Points Race
1st Place Lilly Lake 2011
1st Place Beechwood Lake 2012

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:47 PM »
 Good job...little dude!!! That is one Nice fish! Congrat's!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.