Author Topic: Camping on the ice.  (Read 72847 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Camping on the ice.
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:37 AM »
With the cooler..I am assuming you put no ice in..just room temp water and the cold items?

Correct.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2016, 10:41 AM »
With the cooler..I am assuming you put no ice in..just room temp water and the cold items?

Correct.

x2
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:02 AM »
I will be going this weekend to Champlain to do this.  Will be on the ice Saturday-Sunday.  Low of 9 is forecasted.  Bringing a cot and 0 degree mummy bag.  I have half inch thick interlocking foam mat for the floor.  Also bringing the otter to fish with.

Was wondering about the heat and ventilation.  I have a buddy heater but my friends have said sleep in the bag no heat.  I see some merit to doing that.

I've camped a few times using a cot and good sleeping bag in my DLX 4000... I'm leaning towards what your buddy recommended... What I do is get it hot in the shack then kill the heat right before you turn in, a good bag will keep you warm. If you wake up cold, fire the heater and jig for 10 minutes until its warm then kill the heat and back to sleep. If you want to burn the heater all night get a good co detector and do a test run letting the heat run all day in your yard or something to see if 6-7 hours of heat going without opening the doors will set off the detector. Or get a dog... I stuff my beagle down to the foot of my sleeping bag and she puts off enough heat to keep both of us warm lol. Good luck up there, be safe.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Does anyone know the legality of sleeping in a portable shanty overnight? It's legal in NH, right?

If it isn't the CO that checked to see if I was still alive at 5:00 in the morning on Hubbard didn't say anything about it...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Another thing to consider, could having a few guys sleeping in a small pop up huffing O2 all night pose a similar problem? Even with vents?

Using the calculations here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-long-can-one-live-in-a-sealed-room.685796/

I figure two guys in a space roughly the size of my QF6 could last .6 days if it were completely sealed, which it is not.  At that point, I determined that it is not significant concern for me.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:22 AM »
And this comment is overdue.

Drifter, you guys ROCK.  I would love to be on one of your trips.  Amazing.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Using the calculations here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-long-can-one-live-in-a-sealed-room.685796/

I figure two guys in a space roughly the size of my QF6 could last .6 days if it were completely sealed, which it is not.  At that point, I determined that it is not significant concern for me.

This is based of the entire area filling with carbon dioxide. Since carbon dioxide is heavier than oxygen you would be more susceptible to it when laying on a cot or ground in a sleeping bag. As you wouldn't need a full hub of carbon dioxide, just the first couple feet to be lethal.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:48 PM »
This is based of the entire area filling with carbon dioxide.

I didn't read it that way, "Let's take 30,000 ppm (3% of room air) as our death point, although obviously that's arbitrary...."

Although that would mean filling the entire space up to 3%.  I still think two dudes with the vents open and heater off won't use up all the O2.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Well gents I am half a grand lighter in the pocket but I grabbed all the items I need.

0 degree bag, cot, closed cell foam sleeping mat, base layer to sleep in with zero cotton, ect ect ect.

Again, I will not be running heat while I sleep, -2 for a low so there would be way too much condensation if I run the heater all night.

We have 2 CO detectors per shanty, one for sleeping level and one for the ceiling should heat be absolutely nessecary.  (if it is with the cost of cold weather crap I bought I will be pissed)

All my stuff is ready to get packed up...I probably wont sleep Saturday night as we are going to pull the traps and jig for eyes in the otter away from camp. 

Oh and although 2 of us are fishing we are staying in 2 different hub shelters....I will snore louder than the ice settling!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:55 PM »
lowaccord, good luck!  We will eagerly await your report and see just how much YMMV.  Safe travels, warm and safe sleep, and tight lines!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Yes, update please! BRING A CAMERA!!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #71 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:16 PM »
I will have my S5 with me and have service most of the time (sometimes it will data roam because of the proximity to Canada) Stay tuned. Also please accept sincere thank you to all who took a minute to respond, I appreciate the effort to help me ensure this doesnt suck!

Also re reading the posts I noticed in a weeks time the low forecast went from 9 above to -2.  Light winds though!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Good luck man, be safe.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Iowa, this may be too late, since it is Fri. night and you are probably on your way to the lake, but if you can exchange that 0 degree bag for a -20, you will be a lot warmer.  I used a 0 last year with a heater.  I totally agree with you in not using heat though.  I may buy a warmer bag and try it without heat.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2016, 12:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up but the 0 degree will be fine I dont like being to warm when I sleep.  We leave shortly.  It took a few hours to get the jeep packed!!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 23, 2016, 05:45 PM »
Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Jan 23, 2016, 07:38 PM »
So far so good guys...im jigging in the shanty now, heat on low running a fan amd using co detector.  I havent slept since friday am so its almost time to retire for the night.  The pike are being fickel...maybe tomorrow will be better.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #77 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:18 PM »
ive been ice camping for 15 years we use an eskimo 9416 2 big buddys hooked to a 40 lb tank never an issue with a little ventilation used co detector not a problem sleep with heat everytime  im still here the key is fresh air let it in

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:23 PM »
So much concern over CO and CO2.......but I'd be more concerned with the methane production during the night.......if you get my jest?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:38 AM »
So much concern over CO and CO2.......but I'd be more concerned with the methane production during the night.......if you get my jest?

That's easy to fix!!!
Leave the PBR and pickled eggs @ home!!!!!!    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #80 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:41 AM »
That's easy to fix!!!
Leave the PBR and pickled eggs @ home!!!!!!    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

What fun is THAT!? ;D ;D

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #81 on: Jan 26, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Iowa: how did it go? You still kickin'?

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #82 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:12 PM »
and is it Iowaccord or is it Low Accord? Low Accord makes more since....was confused on this thread for a bit trying to figure out who Iowa is

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 26, 2016, 03:48 PM »
and is it Iowaccord or is it Low Accord? Low Accord makes more since....was confused on this thread for a bit trying to figure out who Iowa is

I had the same confusion.  Pasting the username into a word processor and changing fonts convinced me that it starts with an "L."

And the question remains how things worked out for lowaccord.  We're eager to hear!

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Methane..............R .I.P.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:02 PM »
Methane..............R.I.P.

OK you made me laugh.

Actually, when training Scouters and Boy Scouts for Winter camping, we promote the consumption of "greasy, gassy food" for dinner.  Best way to stoke the furnace!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Hey guys!  Yes I made it, yes it is Low Accord.  I will update with pics after I fix my wasted photobucket account.

Meantime I made a big mistake...a zero degree bad doesnt work so well if you dont sinch it up around you tight (I have a square bag not a mummy)  It got down to -6 but I was passed out from 930 to 330am before I woke up so not bad at all.

Second mistake...in my being anal I picked a bare spot on the ice so my foam floor would be level and nice....well no snow on he shanty skirt and a breeze of 5-10 at -6 made things a bit cold.  I went through 4lbs or so of propane that night!  Getting ready in the morning sucked! 

More details to come! 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #87 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:11 PM »
you live and learn. Make a list of things to remember so next time you will be better prepared.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #88 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:51 PM »
If winter camping is your thing do yourself a favor just like good boots a great sleeping bag is necessary.  Friends and I have done some late winter, early spring steelhead camping trips (tents). Buying a -20° mummy sleeping bag and a decent sleeping pad to place on the cot have made a huge difference in sleep quality.  Don't really like the tight confines of a mummy, but I dislike the cold seeping down into any opening of a rectangular bag. No heater used except in the morning to knock the chill out to change. I know the mats should help. I just know I have always had reservation using a heater while I sleep. But that's just me.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:31 PM »
We are talking about an overnight trip this year but without the camping. My tentative plan is to get on the ice about 3pm... Haul out and find the spot then set up camp and get everything locked down for the evening. Once that's done we plan to stay up all night and fish till about 10am the next morning. We take two 20lb propane bottles and two heaters for the six sided Eskimo Fatfish hut, plenty of light, the grill, and were even talking about hauling out a deep fat frier.  Either way we will grill up some rib eyes on the ice.

My logic for those involved was: we stay up all night and work regularly .. Certainly we can stay up all night and fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.