New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Twisted line  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Nelli

• IceShanty Rookie
Twisted line
« on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:14 PM »
My buddy told me he read to remove line twist on your spool run hot tap water over it.  I tried it for a few seconds and didn’t see a difference maybe it’s needs a bit more time.  Have any of you tried this and had success ?

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Twisted line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:24 PM »
My buddy told me he read to remove line twist on your spool run hot tap water over it.  I tried it for a few seconds and didn’t see a difference maybe it’s needs a bit more time.  Have any of you tried this and had success ?

My uncles 2nd wife left him when he put the same topic on ice shanty twice

Praying for you
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:38 PM »

My uncles 2nd wife left him when he put the same topic on ice shanty twice

Praying for you

☠️☠️☠️🤣
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:50 PM »
Hot water might help with coils, but not twisted line. Coils and twisted line are two different things...

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2022, 06:53 PM »
It's supposed to reverse the spool memory I've tried it and didn't notice any difference. But ask good Ole Bill Dance about it.
I live back in the woods you see

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:14 PM »
Tie the line to a sturdy object (door, table, wife etc) walk out some line and pull tight. Don’t pull hard enough to break the line but just enough to get the line to stretch. This will remove the memory. You could also tighten the drag and pull the line out by hand. The drag resistance is enough to straighten the line out.

I do this with all my bass rods with florocarbon the night before I go fishing. It makes the florocarbon fish like new. It’s not ideal, but it extends the life of the line.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2022, 07:30 PM »
Tie the line to a sturdy object (door, table, wife etc) walk out some line and pull tight. Don’t pull hard enough to break the line but just enough to get the line to stretch. This will remove the memory. You could also tighten the drag and pull the line out by hand. The drag resistance is enough to straighten the line out.

I do this with all my bass rods with florocarbon the night before I go fishing. It makes the florocarbon fish like new. It’s not ideal, but it extends the life of the line.

Good techniques for removing line coil/memory, but not line twist... Easier to remove line twist in open water; drag behind a boat with nothing on it, let a bunch of line out in a stream and let the current untwist it. Out on the ice, I have let the wind carry my line out (nothing on it) and reeled it back in with the line in the air, allowing it to untwist as you pinch it going back on the spool. Best to not get the line twisted in the first place. Reeling against the drag is the all-time line twister, with fishing spinners a close second...

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Good techniques for removing line coil/memory, but not line twist... Easier to remove line twist in open water; drag behind a boat with nothing on it, let a bunch of line out in a stream and let the current untwist it. Out on the ice, I have let the wind carry my line out (nothing on it) and reeled it back in with the line in the air, allowing it to untwist as you pinch it going back on the spool. Best to not get the line twisted in the first place. Reeling against the drag is the all-time line twister, with fishing spinners a close second...
very true stripernut  I never use a swivel while ice fishing and do get a lot of line twist. many times I just walk the line out on my way off the ice and let it drag for a while   that will do it

Offline HairyBagpipes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie make me happy
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2022, 12:34 AM »
Ole Vinny tried the hot water thing once, accidentally poached some eggs in the process. It was a huge success with the family but didn’t do much for his ice reel. If I was in your shoes I’d likely try my wife’s hair detangler spray, though it doesn’t come scented in smelt or herring so I’m not sure how it’d work being that it’s peach/mango.

If you need me, I’ll be ripping Crappie lips on Brant Lake.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2022, 01:04 PM »
I always use a piscufin line spooler then take take the spool off the reel and let it sit in hot water and take it out after the water gets to room temperature

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2022, 02:57 PM »
 if your using a spinning reel(i assume you are) close your bail by hand instead of turning the handle to close it. It helps to alleviate a lot of line twist.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:19 PM »
I use 4-6 lb micro ice on my 4 rods. Only $4-$5 a spool i re-line all my rigs every year before lakes start to lock up. Very rarely have any issues all year and worst case I’ll have to re line a rig or 2 once more mid season. Put my used line in an empty milk jug someday when it’s full I’ll bring it down to bass pro to have it recycled.

Offline kissafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:47 PM »

Offline kissafish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Stretching the line works excellent I do it to all my rods

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.