Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Looking to up grade auger  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Bentbolt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig jig jig hook
Looking to up grade auger
« on: Oct 18, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I currently have a older striker master. And I would like to upgrade one that is newer and might be easier starting on cold mornings. I have looked at jiffy propane pro44 on like. Any reviews on it from you guys? I’m staying with 8” dia
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                       l        
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º>                 l
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>     J

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking to up grade auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:05 PM »
I love my Jiffy Pro4.  Some people knock them, but I've never had a bad experience with mine.  Starts on 2nd pull almost every time.  It only has trouble when it's like -10 or colder.   Drills a ton of holes on one propane bottle.  The only downside is that it's pretty heavy.

I'm sure a lot will recommend a drill/hand auger setup which is great too, but I have little need for a high end drill so I haven't gone that direction yet. I may some day.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Kdrill or drill adaptor.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Go with electric! Drill (brushless, with 800+ lb torque for 8”) and clam plate with hand auger of your choosing, or any of the current big name lithium augers.  I’m going on my fourth season with my setup with a 7” lazer auger, and I’ve converted my three friends that ice fish to them. Everyone I meet on the ice always end up saying they’re going to convert as well. The weight saving alone is worth it, plus not having to deal with mixing/hauling gas and many others headaches that come with maintenance.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:49 AM »
I’ve drilled with plenty of these new kdrill and battery powered drill setups. I’ll stick with my Strikemaster. Mixing gas is sooo easy. It takes me one minute to mix up a gallon of fuel. And there is very little to no maintenance required. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to change a spark plug every now and then but that’s not that hard. If you think the maintenance of a gas auger and mixing gas is time consuming and it gives you headaches, well then your doing it wrong. IMO, a drill setup requires way more maintenance then a gas auger. You have to constantly charge all your batteries. (Most people I know have a minimum of three.) And you have to keep them warm so they don’t die so quick. Plus a good setup is expensive. Cost way more than a gas auger.

I’ve drilled with the propane jiffy before. It does start and drill nice but it’s not for me. And that’s because it is so darn heavy. If you don’t drill many holes or if your the type that just drills a couple holes and sets up shop, then go ahead and get one. But if you like to punch lots of holes and jump around and move all day, don’t do it.

To each their own...

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2018, 08:38 AM »
I’ve drilled with plenty of these new kdrill and battery powered drill setups. I’ll stick with my Strikemaster. Mixing gas is sooo easy. It takes me one minute to mix up a gallon of fuel. And there is very little to no maintenance required. I suppose it doesn’t hurt to change a spark plug every now and then but that’s not that hard. If you think the maintenance of a gas auger and mixing gas is time consuming and it gives you headaches, well then your doing it wrong. IMO, a drill setup requires way more maintenance then a gas auger. You have to constantly charge all your batteries. (Most people I know have a minimum of three.) And you have to keep them warm so they don’t die so quick. Plus a good setup is expensive. Cost way more than a gas auger.

I’ve drilled with the propane jiffy before. It does start and drill nice but it’s not for me. And that’s because it is so darn heavy. If you don’t drill many holes or if your the type that just drills a couple holes and sets up shop, then go ahead and get one. But if you like to punch lots of holes and jump around and move all day, don’t do it.

To each their own...

Couldn't have said it better. During season maintenance is pretty much zero.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2018, 06:43 PM »

To each their own...
.             No gas smell on your hands with drill setup, u better get a Milwaukee, no keeping those batteries warm!!  I have drilled holes with my drill setup, when -20 temps gas augers would not start. What ever works best for you might not work for everyone. In my area the drill to gas ratio is about 10/1 different where thicker ice

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2018, 07:57 PM »
If I was going to go the propane route I'd give serious consideration to Eskimo's propane auger because it's a good bit cheaper and the weight is similar or a little less. 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2018, 09:32 PM »
.             No gas smell on your hands with drill setup, u better get a Milwaukee, no keeping those batteries warm!!  I have drilled holes with my drill setup, when -20 temps gas augers would not start. What ever works best for you might not work for everyone. In my area the drill to gas ratio is about 10/1 different where thicker ice
Southern ice belt, I’d probably have a battery drill setup. That’s be nice not having to drill through more than a foot of ice.  But not here. Here is NW Iowa. I go to Mn and SD also. A -20° Milwaukee won’t drill near as many holes as a 20-30° Milwaukee. Yes it’ll start easier but how many holes will it drill through 24-30 inches of ice? Not very many if your on the move. I’d rather pull a rope a few times.

There’s no gas smell on my hands. That’s what gloves are for. And if I drilled without gloves, the exhaust smell would be minimal.

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2018, 04:56 AM »
Electric is the only way to go... theyll drill through 30" of ice with no problem at all and it wont feel like you're hauling a car around with you

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2018, 06:09 AM »
I am with those on electric augers..  bUT might want to check dickssports.com  there a jiffy propane auger I seen there and there running 20%off on line only right  now on even sale items..till today sunday.. 21 of october hopefully the stIll have it??

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I just got rid of my pro4, no issues except the weight. Picked up the new strike master 40v last year and love it

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Jiffy pro4 fourth season  coldest day was -17 worked fine. I am going to switch to a kdrill Milwaukee setup for the upcoming season. Get rid of 30 lbs. working to reduce as much weight from my overall set up as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I have an older eskimo stingray that I will be using this year, and it weighs the same as an ion at 23 pounds claimed. I've weighed it before and my scale said 20 pounds, but it might be off.
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline Bentbolt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig jig jig hook
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Thanks guy. It’s about 50/50 split. My auger still works just when u get around the 0* range it get hard starting I have just heard the propane is easier starting in the really cold weather. I have used the k drill before but still prefer the power head style. When it get cold and we fish away from home it seems we have for got to plug our batteries in before.
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                       l        
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º>                 l
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>     J

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Have you had the carb tuned up on the jiffy??  usally that's the cause of hard starting when it gets cold out..  take it in when it gets cold out to 0*f see what the guy says at a small engine repair shop..  .. the small engine repair shop should be able to tune it no problem... all it can be is adjust the screws on it bascally.. they adjust these screws cause of vibration from the auger they usally shake loose.. like the altitude adjustment, float level ,etc.. depending if there are adjustments??  My guess is propane will run the same sooner or later.. so why switch if you don't have to?? If any thing electric is what I would switch to and a cordless drill  but all depends on ice thickness??

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Southern ice belt, I’d probably have a battery drill setup. That’s be nice not having to drill through more than a foot of ice.  But not here. Here is NW Iowa. I go to Mn and SD also. A -20° Milwaukee won’t drill near as many holes as a 20-30° Milwaukee. Yes it’ll start easier but how many holes will it drill through 24-30 inches of ice? Not very many if your on the move. I’d rather pull a rope a few times.

There’s no gas smell on my hands. That’s what gloves are for. And if I drilled without gloves, the exhaust smell would be minimal.
.       I did drill 32 holes thru 17” ice in Saginaw bay last year and didn’t use a full battery!!

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:07 PM »
When I first got my ion we had 24° of ice.. I drilled 40  8"holes with it and still had half a battery left... I'll never turn back to gas..NEVER

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.