New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346866 times)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #10110 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:18 AM »
Is there any safe ice

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10111 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Yes welcome to America....

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10112 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:44 AM »
There's an air boat on the MDB cam right now. Looks like they are just out screwing around.

We saw a sailboat type contraption out last weekend. Looked like Tuna was going to lose a tipup for a minute  :o
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Skunkhunt42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10113 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:34 PM »
There's an air boat on the MDB cam right now. Looks like they are just out screwing around.

We saw a sailboat type contraption out last weekend. Looked like Tuna was going to lose a tipup for a minute  :o

They (state troopers) have been out nearly every day the last couple weeks with their 3 airboats. Ripping up east side then west side. Blowing donuts and getting obnoxiously close to fishermen. State must have a huge surplus of gas money to burn.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10114 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Not to get way off the lg thread but I think drones are toys. . . Anyway. . Lock 2 today hudson River fotr some end of the season c/r eyes. . Did well. .  ;) Then to Ted's in the burg for a fish fry. . Scallops. . Rings .  Etc.   ;D

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10115 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:12 PM »
They (state troopers) have been out nearly every day the last couple weeks with their 3 airboats. Ripping up east side then west side. Blowing donuts and getting obnoxiously close to fishermen. State must have a huge surplus of gas money to burn.

That's exactly what it looked like today - they definitely weren't gearing up for a rescue

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10116 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Is there any safe ice

Melted. 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10117 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:05 PM »
Hopefully the shoreline holes up for the weekend. Looks like a lot of standing water . I just need one more weekend on the ice before I start working on the boat

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10118 on: Mar 14, 2019, 03:51 PM »
I saw airboats last week, and had no clue what they were doing. I saw them doing donuts and just aimlessly driving around. What a great use of our tax dollars. I thought they were just tourists on a joy ride.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10119 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I saw airboats last week, and had no clue what they were doing. I saw them doing donuts and just aimlessly driving around. What a great use of our tax dollars. I thought they were just tourists on a joy ride.

In all fairness they really do need to learn how to drive them and I would imagine there are times when they need to apply some power to make it handle right and it makes sense for them to practice. It would be a shame to not be able to fully utilize a machine like that in a rescue situation. Just imagine the fiasco on Erie last week with inexperienced first responders

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10120 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:28 PM »
In all fairness they really do need to learn how to drive them and I would imagine there are times when they need to apply some power to make it handle right and it makes sense for them to practice. It would be a shame to not be able to fully utilize a machine like that in a rescue situation. Just imagine the fiasco on Erie last week with inexperienced first responders

Lol I really didn’t think someone would have to break this down. I guess coastguard training is a waste of tax dollars also. Come on guys.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10121 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Lol I really didn’t think someone would have to break this down. I guess coastguard training is a waste of tax dollars also. Come on guys.

Sorry mom.   ;D

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10122 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:46 PM »
Sorry mom.   ;D

Lol the fishing must be slow. If the troopers had a drone up with the air boats sh$t would hit fan.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10123 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Na getting towards the end of the work week.  Hard for me to get out of the office to fish there midweek.  I hear hearthstone was jamming middle of the week for no apparent reason.  Thought that was funny. 

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10124 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Just a little slow.....

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10125 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Fished off Bixby today, access is getting sketchy, when we returned to the truck someone had planked the crack across the bay.

Heard something very strange today while fishing - a whipoorwill!  Haven't heard one in a number of years, and certainly not this time of year.

Fishing was so-so.  Lots of little perch, a few sunnies, one laker. 

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #10126 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Ride into Vets this evening was very wet on the wheeler, not sure how long the shore is going to last it’s getting soft.   Jigging for lakers was slow today,  lots of lookers.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10127 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Here is the way it works.  Spend 50-100 g selling a program to replace a person's actual job that may be 100 including benefits.
That program only means a foot in the door because the actual manpower is physical and extra.  Sadly,  untrained who ever they can get to respond.

My point is electronic devices that actually replace people should be outlawed.
My season is over.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10128 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Hopefully the shoreline holes up for the weekend. Looks like a lot of standing water . I just need one more weekend on the ice before I start working on the boat

I already started.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10129 on: Mar 14, 2019, 08:52 PM »
Lol. When my new electronics come in the mail the shrink wrap will be coming off.

Offline Echobaywatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10130 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Not for notning.. NYSP runs an ice diving and ice rescue school on LG each March and has done so for the last 30 years at least. Involves the use of air boats which are cutting edge for ice rescue. This training is open to all NY  law enforcement agencies. Air boats are very effective for ice rescues which typically occur at this time of year. I think it's great that they are out running those boats.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #10131 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Not to get way off the lg thread but I think drones are toys. . . Anyway. . Lock 2 today hudson River fotr some end of the season c/r eyes. . Did well. .  ;) Then to Ted's in the burg for a fish fry. . Scallops. . Rings .  Etc.   ;D

That stretch of locks, especially when the water is down in March-Early April, is one of my favorite places to fish when the ice gets soft but open water is still hard to find. I always seem to find myself at Ted's or Gus's as well :thumbsup:

Offline TJM781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10132 on: Mar 15, 2019, 02:26 AM »
The airboats beat up the access at Mdb pretty bad,  it was opened up Wednesday and I could barely get around the hole coming back in yesterday afternoon

Offline Skunkhunt42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10133 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:12 AM »
Not for notning.. NYSP runs an ice diving and ice rescue school on LG each March and has done so for the last 30 years at least. Involves the use of air boats which are cutting edge for ice rescue. This training is open to all NY  law enforcement agencies. Air boats are very effective for ice rescues which typically occur at this time of year. I think it's great that they are out running those boats.

I’ve seen them doing training exercises and mock rescues in the past. Great stuff. Right now they’re joy riding, nothing more, nothing less. I’ll try to get video of them next time ripping donuts and driving through tipups.

Offline tee149

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10134 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Anyone have any info on ice conditions? Was hoping to make it up tomorrow morning w my 8 yr old for the last time this season any info would be appreciated. I m willing to go out of hearthstone, pilot knob, or MDB. Thanks!!!!

Offline Fishmongerlyndon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10135 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Went out off hearthstone yesterday in the windpit. question i have is one of the lakers i caught was covered in these light brown invertebrates. they were a clearish brown color. Shaped like a v. where they were attached split into what looked like 2 tails. there were over 20 stuck on it. wondering what it could be or if anyone has seen this? i didn't have my phone so i couldn't take a picture

sounds like anchor worms. which are actually a form of parasitic copepod ( crustacean)

Offline Elmer Fudd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10136 on: Mar 15, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I’ve seen them doing training exercises and mock rescues in the past. Great stuff. Right now they’re joy riding, nothing more, nothing less. I’ll try to get video of them next time ripping donuts and driving through tipups.
thank you, what I saw was not what I would call life saving training.i have now problem with rescuers being well trained. But really how long do you have when you go through? I’ve gone through before and let me tell you I came out quicker than I went in.

Offline DShooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10137 on: Mar 15, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Anyone have any info on ice conditions? Was hoping to make it up tomorrow morning w my 8 yr old for the last time this season any info would be appreciated. I m willing to go out of hearthstone, pilot knob, or MDB. Thanks!!!!

[PK ok but has deteriorated tremendously while I was out today.  Went out at 6AM, rain and standing water.  Left at 3:30, water absorbed into the ice, getting soft quick.  Large holes and cracks opening up.  Tomorrow is my last day on LG ]
I'd rather be fishing...

Offline Swinginhammers_and_fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10138 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Will the up coming 10/12 degree nights with the highs in the 30’s firm up those the access areas you guy’s think?

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10139 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Will the up coming 10/12 degree nights with the highs in the 30’s firm up those the access areas you guy’s think?

It sure can't hurt. This time of year it's not about how high the temperature gets, it's about how long each day is above freezing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.