New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347104 times)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #7650 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Im going to be there anyways.  If you have stones that big id do it.  I did -6 with 8-10 winds all night.  I used my heater and 2 carbon monoxide detectors.

The incentive is doing something challenging and being front and center as soon as the sun comes up.  You have to want to do it and there are some skills needed to prevent hypothermia. 

My stuff is ready Logan.
the temp don't bother me but that wind wot be any fun

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7651 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:13 PM »
I don't know mealworm, it is getting pretty cold....lol....h2l
Northville, NY

JJ

« Reply #7652 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:23 PM »
1/3/2003, caught this laker on this date 15 years ago. Jigged up in 30 feet of water on 4 lb test, and I was targetting lakers. Was below 0 when we got out, high was 3F. Surprisingly with all the cold we've had there is still open water there today.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #7653 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:37 PM »
Badass looking laker JJ
If you drill it, they will come...

JJ

« Reply #7654 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Badass looking laker JJ

Thanks Steve. Craig took the pic with a film camera.

JJ

« Reply #7655 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:57 PM »
The lake is frozen from the Village to Diamond Point. There is a small patch of open water near the LG Club, and a narrow channel of open water in the middle that widens from there, all open off the mouth of Basin Bay to Pilot Knob north to the Narrrows and NW Bay is open past Crown Is.

Checked out Diamond Point Dock on Lake Ave., no safe access with the dock bubblers, new boathouse was built just to the north, also.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7656 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Thanx for the report JJ. Wonder what's going to happen to the ice with the wind that's forecast....

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #7657 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:25 PM »
I don't know mealworm, it is getting pretty cold....lol....h2l
lol

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #7658 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I’m out at vets park right now and it is absolutely terrible.  I haven’t marked one fish.  5 to 6 inches of ice in the bay. I guess it’s better than working today

Guy on the conditions page said the same.

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7659 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:23 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on hole size? I only have a 6" auger right now. I've caught plenty of mid 20s lakers in open water and all of them would have fit in a 6" hole. The upper 20s ones would be tight, but they would fit. Do I really need to go out and buy an 8" auger? It would stink hooking a 30"+ fish and not being able to get it through the hole. I know with a 6" hole it'll be tougher to get them turned up it, but I hate buying another auger just for the few times I might target lake trout.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7660 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:47 PM »
6” hole is fine for the majority of the fish you will catch on LG. You would be surprised the size fish you can pull through a 6” hole... just takes a little more skill or patience to steer their head into it (as you mentioned)

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7661 on: Jan 03, 2018, 08:52 PM »
6” hole is fine for the majority of the fish you will catch on LG. You would be surprised the size fish you can pull through a 6” hole... just takes a little more skill or patience to steer their head into it (as you mentioned)

Agreed. As long as they are hooked well you should be able to fit them through a 6" hole. Problem is when they aren't hooked well you will probably lose some due to trying to steer them in.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7662 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I like 8" for a couple reasons 1. tip-up holes don't freeze over as quickly, and the hole shrinking over the course of a day doesn't matter as much. I mostly jig but I like to put out a few tip ups for the hell of it.

2. Also a lot easier to land a big laker on 2lb line with a 8" hole vs 6". Less rubbing around the edges and easier to get them to the surface. On LG I always seem to hook a laker while I'm after perch. Not really just about fitting them thru the diameter hole it's about not wasting an hour trying to land them or breaking them off.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7663 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:14 PM »
In the past when using a 6” Auger with my cordless drill I would drill 3 holes in a triangular shape so that each slightly overlap, sort of like the Olympic Rings! Makes a nice big hole you can practically fit a bowling ball through! Even two holes side by side overlapping will be plenty! 😃
MK

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7664 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice. It seems like my assumption are right. I can get by with a 6" auger. I might lose a fish or 2 at the hole getting them turned, and might need to take a little extra time getting them in, but it's not crazy doing it. Eventually when I get a powered unit I'll get the 8", but for now I can make the 6" work.

Offline ziggy6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7665 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:43 AM »
Has anyone been out by Hearthstone ?  was wondering what the ice was like there and also if gate is open/ hill plowed?  Thank you for any info....

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7666 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:59 AM »
I scooped up that new Nero auger that HT put out this year in a 7".
I need more time to claim it cuts better than a Finbore or Nils, but I will say that jigging through a 7" hole is an absolute game changer. No one likes cutting an 8" by hand. 7" seems to be a beautiful sweet spot.
The design they used to fold the auger certainly trumps any other foldable auger. I don't get paid by these guys, but I think some of you will feel the same. 307 has them in. I'm scooping a 5" next week for perching. How well it works with the drill is yet to be determined.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #7667 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:20 AM »
8in, just about everything fits

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7668 on: Jan 04, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Has anyone been out by Hearthstone ?  was wondering what the ice was like there and also if gate is open/ hill plowed?  Thank you for any info....

Did not check yesterday but as of Tuesday it was closed.  I would imagine it will be open for the weekend if it isn't already.

When the ice gets thicker than a foot, you'll be praising your 6er as you drill the hole, and cursing it as you try and get a laker thru. 
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7669 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Went to harris yesterday, 2 hookups all day, both 8-10 lb lakers (maybe the same fish) both got off at the hole, second time it broke my line.  Very frustrating start to my LG season.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7670 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I’m out at vets park right now and it is absolutely terrible.  I haven’t marked one fish.  5 to 6 inches of ice in the bay. I guess it’s better than working today

Terrible bite at my desk in the office today....not marking a damn thing  ;D.  Is it Saturday yet?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7671 on: Jan 04, 2018, 11:01 AM »

When the ice gets thicker than a foot, you'll be praising your 6er as you drill the hole, and cursing it as you try and get a laker thru.

extremely accurate statement

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7672 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Anyone been off MDB? Looking to go to lake george for the first time and figured that would be a decent place to start. If anyone has any tips like depth to target for perch or lakers as a starter i can use the map from there. Always wanted to try it but want to be safe while doing it. Thanks

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7673 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Wonder what's going to happen to the ice with the wind that's forecast....
Same here!  There's no doubt that it's going lose ice, it's just a matter of how much? ???

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7674 on: Jan 04, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Same here!  There's no doubt that it's going lose ice, it's just a matter of how much? ???

It lost a good chunk. 8" once the ice gets thick for me!  Tanaka doesnt care how thick it gets....

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #7675 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:50 PM »
MDB - fished there once, its a long walk to 60-70 fow guessing 3/4 mile.
Just an fyi

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7676 on: Jan 04, 2018, 04:11 PM »
10 10 10 only
Bigger is better

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7677 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:08 PM »
extremely accurate statement
(Image removed from quote.)

Lol what do you drive???

Fishmon

« Reply #7678 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:09 PM »
Milwaukee drill with 9 amp battery and 8 inch Nils does not care how thick ice is.  Drill to China but keep your feet dry when it breaks through. ;D

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7679 on: Jan 04, 2018, 07:44 PM »
They make a 9? I thought I could never kill my 5 amp batteries.... :o :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.