New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346934 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #6240 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Can someone give me some general info on ice thickness. Thanks

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6241 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:43 AM »
2" or less - STAY OFF. 4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot. 5" - Snowmobile or ATV. 8" - 12" - Car or small pickup. 12" - 15" - Medium truck

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6242 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I meant ice conditions on LG. Thanks

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6243 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:03 AM »
guys r fishing many spots on LG a spud is a must ice will go from 5" to 2" in just a few feet bubblers r taking a toll on vets and huddle from what I understand

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6244 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:41 AM »

Yesterday we went to Vets and where there were pressure ridges they  opened up during the day. We had to jump over
             open water to get across. Out on the main lake there was maybe 3" of ice.

IW

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6245 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:45 AM »
I'm just a perch guy but Logan wanted trout pictures so here's a 27" from today along with a pic of Jeff's monster salmon from yesterday.

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6246 on: Feb 20, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Nice picture of that bolton eagle

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6247 on: Feb 20, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Nice pics Terry and make no mistake I like seeing pics of perch and all the fishes of lg ....nice bonus crappie  ;)

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6248 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I wish I took that picture of the eagle 1 second later, he would of had that pickerel in the air.

I caught a crappie 2 days in a row and a buddy of mine caught one the third day...first ones I've caught out of Lake George in at least 20 years  :)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6249 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:23 PM »

I caught a crappie 2 days in a row and a buddy of mine caught one the third day...first ones I've caught out of Lake George in at least 20 years  :)
oh man u said crappie now all them boys that have been pounding brant lake r gonna be looking for your holes lol
Iv gotten a few crappie in the last few years but could never dial them things in

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6250 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Fished Harris today. Couldn't keep the perch off the hook the first few hours. They were coming up 4-5 to grab the bait on the way down. Then they shut off about 10:00. Close to my limit of keepers though.  Measured anywhere from 8-12 inches (yes, 12"). Top was melting when I left about 1:00. Had a cloud of smelt come through 5 or 6 times where I could see them down the hole.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6251 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:14 PM »

Considerations for Freshwater Sportfish Regulation Changes For 2017-2018

Warren County
Remove prohibition on the use or possession of smelt in Lake George (2017_R5_10)

Email a comment.

Description: Remove the prohibition on the use or possession of smelt in Lake George and establish a special regulation to allow for the limited harvest of smelt on Lake George by angling only during the open season with a daily creel limit of 25.

Rationale: Lake George currently supports a healthy population of smelt which are prohibited for use or possession. This special regulation would eliminate this prohibition and open up this resource for diversified angling opportunities. Many smelt spawning surveys have been done in the past to quantify the number of potential spawning tributaries on Lake George. Recent reporting has found the number of spawning smelt in tributaries to be stable and abundant. Establishment of this special regulation would allow anglers to utilize this unique fishery resource to a limited extent while still ensuring the long term sustainability of the population.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6252 on: Feb 20, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Fished out of Vets today....4" turned to 2" out where the deep water is and crossing the ridge near crown was terrible...but I stayed dry.  Only a handful of maniacs out there.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6253 on: Feb 20, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Fished out of Vets today....4" turned to 2" out where the deep water is and crossing the ridge near crown was terrible...but I stayed dry.  Only a handful of maniacs out there.

Too much fun today huh?   ;D

I heard someone went through on the way out but is ok

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6254 on: Feb 20, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Too much fun today huh?   ;D

I heard someone went through on the way out but is ok

17 funs today.  Shame the ice conditions sent me packing.  There was a single guy past the pressure ridge fishing near crown when I had crossed maybe it was him?  I pushed it as far as I was comfortable thats for sure!

If its the only time I get to ice fish The King this season I am sastisfied.

Offline qbyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6255 on: Feb 20, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Father and I went out off vets we were 3" just outside mouth of the bay. Caught half a 5 gal bucket between us some nice ones. 5 different times smelt rolled thru 15-20 feet thick.

Someone did go through North side of crown don't know if he is shanty member but made out okay Bolton fire assistance. Father and didn't hear yelling but heard sirens headed out to sagamore that's when we looked and saw he had his headlamp on flash father started making his way to the guy when Bolton FD was headed out to him from crown. 

With these warm temps be careful everyone

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6256 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:10 PM »
17 funs today.  Shame the ice conditions sent me packing.  There was a single guy past the pressure ridge fishing near crown when I had crossed maybe it was him?  I pushed it as far as I was comfortable thats for sure!

If its the only time I get to ice fish The King this season I am sastisfied.

Great job Bro, some solid fish there!! What was your biggest? Congrats !

MK

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6257 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Probably around 28" Mike, I broke off on 2 tanks though...would have been nice to see them!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6258 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Nice laker low

So the guy that fell through was a buddy of mine he said striker jacket works like it's supposed 2.he fell through pressure ridge got out then fell in again was able to get to his phone to call 911......be safe out there fellas

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6259 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Nice laker low

So the guy that fell through was a buddy of mine he said striker jacket works like it's supposed 2.he fell through pressure ridge got out then fell in again was able to get to his phone to call 911......be safe out there fellas

I had to shove my sled over then go over myself...I moved fast...I saw your buddy as I left...he was the last holdout on the other side.  Glad he's ok!

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6260 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:01 PM »
I'm not saying it was necessarily the case today, but me and a friend were taking the other day about whether these float suits give people a bit too much confidence out there. Glad he's ok.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6261 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:11 PM »
Very glad he's okay. I barely made it back over that pressure ridge yesturday, scared the crap out of me.    We fished a spot with fewer pressure ridges today and caught well...but by 1140, the ice was very soft and sagging and we booked it.    Everyone I talked to did very very good for both perch and trout.  Spud is necessary, ice is so variable out there, numerous places it went from 6" to 3" to 5" then less...i would wait for a few nights below freezing to go over the deep water again.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6262 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I guess some of you guys won't stop this foolishness until somebody drowns. Do you really believe a fish is worth loosing your life. There is no way you should be out on that ice. Good luck hope you're around to fish next year! >:(

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6263 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:11 PM »
Just as a friendly suggestion. If you have the money combined with the die hard passion for ice fishing.....I bought a pair of bibs from striker that are buoyant enough to hold two people afloat as long as you are wearing the matching jacket. If you fall through at least your ass will float. Be careful guys. Invest in the technology to keep you safe.
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6264 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Nice lakers low... glad you got into them!  And glad your buddy was ok Logan!  Might be it for the deep waters, time to go get some limits of perch for the freezer!
I love clipboard man

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6265 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:13 AM »
Thats why I didn't like that 4 wheeler so close to the shack on fri. Ice is not strong enough for that much closeness ::)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #6266 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:59 AM »
Thats why I didn't like that 4 wheeler so close to the shack on fri. Ice is not strong enough for that much closeness ::)
              Yeah, when I was getting out of my truck on Friday, the guy with the 4 wheeler was asking everyone how much
              ice there was at vets. It was just ice, great conditions for dragging a sled and gear. And the distance he went di not
              warrant a 4 wheeler, maybe just laziness!

IW

Offline blt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6267 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:20 PM »
Don't think it was laziness as much as being greedy.  It seems every year the fishing has become more competitive  for access, set up on , locations,  limits, etc.  Fisherman have to be the first to the hot spots and promised land.  I  live here and fished this lake for over 50years.  This year the shoreline is a mess with ice heaves and open water.  The lake has been frozen for LESS than a week,  Yet novices and experienced angles push the edge.  Is great to see some using the float suits.  It sure makes it easier for the rescue squads to locate a body for the rescue/ recovery.  Stay safe

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6268 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:50 PM »
It's shocking how little respect dangerous conditions, and the people rescuing folks from them from those conditions get these days.
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline sameoljets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6269 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Got skunked for the first time evr on lg today. Left at noon hopefully when the rain came through the action heated up for those that were still out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.