New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347171 times)

Offline FishinMikeY

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5520 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:17 AM »
I understand what you guys are saying...but still my question isn't answered. Im talking 25lbers+. The big girls that run 45-50"ers.

You would think EVENTUALLY someone would mistakenly catch one and we would hear about it...but nothing.

even the open water guys that are out there trolling for big lakers with big inline spinners and stuff.....you never hear about any of them catching any either.

Great to hear. Last time I was there a couple weeks ago even the perch were slow. Few dinks and a couple keepers. But we did catch one short laker. Short or not they make my trip worth the drive

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #5521 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:52 AM »
Hitting up vets on Sunday with my dad and brother. Can't even wait. How's the ice looking?

It's going to be looking better when we get there buddy....Jon NY had a good report for walkers on the perch thread....Thank You Jon.... :clap: :thumbsup:
Welcome to IceShanty Mike!

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5522 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:12 AM »
It's going to be looking better when we get there buddy....Jon NY had a good report for walkers on the perch thread....Thank You Jon.... :clap: :thumbsup:
Welcome to IceShanty Mike!

No problem, enjoy it while it lasts! Going to get real sloppy out there next week.  Wheelers were getting stuck last week from the one 40 degree day we had. Looking at 3 straight days over 40.
I love clipboard man

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5523 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:21 AM »
It's going to be a sloppy thaw this season I'm sure.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5524 on: Mar 07, 2015, 09:31 AM »
I think there's some big pike in here. But lots of medium size fish too. I don't think it's a loose lips thing because it's a massive body of water and there is a knack to catching pike in here. Like SS says big fish are a different breed you need to seek them out. They are territorial and will hold to smaller core areas. They also will usually be caught the first day you fish that spot which is why the pounded areas that get all the attention on this site will not one day just produce a huge pike by fluke. This was taught to me by Rich O. my fishin buddy and pike master on LG. These guys catch piles of pike and usually 15-18# is the biggest of the year with many 10-12# fish. They have got a couple over 20# over the years. That's just the size they run though, every water body has a certain size class to the fish generally.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5525 on: Mar 07, 2015, 02:16 PM »
First time I've ever set up tip ups on LG today and I got two bait flags, go figure, lol, but we did get into the lakers on the jig stick, including one fat 25 incher... looks like I'll be setting tip ups again tomorrow to get rid of this bait
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline ice man88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5526 on: Mar 07, 2015, 03:04 PM »
25 inches and a belly full of smelt

Offline clarky215285

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5527 on: Mar 07, 2015, 04:28 PM »
First time fishing Lake George and went to the North side in between Sagamore and an island.  Weed bed right there.  My line snapped on what felt like a mean laker.  The other guys caught four trout and released one.  Keepers were 23in, 26.5in, and 24in.  Definitely would go back.        To the guys who needed me to drill some holes  for them I hope you are able to fix up your auger.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5528 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:09 PM »
25 inches and a belly full of smelt

I believe that, we jigged up a lot of smelt while catching perch
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5529 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Great day on the lake with my daughter

Offline older042

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5530 on: Mar 07, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I caught my first ten pounder last weekend 30.5in 10.5 lb so we decided to go back to our same holes this weekend and man am I glad we did 11.5lb and a 13.75 lb! I love this lake 👍 hope we get good weather next weekend because I know right where I'm going.v
New York

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5531 on: Mar 07, 2015, 08:34 PM »
went out again to cotton point, pretty sure its cursed.

first time out on cotton point:

second time out on cotton point:

At least i won the second battle:

talk about some luck. was in 40ish feet of water, moved to get into more shallow and got SUPER lucky and went too shallow. Only about 12 feet and was able to fish this out.

was only 3 days old. i couldn't leave it!
made a bit that attaches the auger to my drill, worked slick until i retiredly hit reverse when it got jacked. wrong move.

better than a day at work though!!
Jon Arnold

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5532 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:45 AM »
You will have to built a safety for the auger. Some Guys use plywood or bucket lids. Have it larger than the auger so if it slips it gets caught on the ice. Good catch none the less!!

Offline krazjon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5533 on: Mar 08, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I was wondering what the bucket lids were for. Now I know! Lol thanks. I will definitely add one asap
Jon Arnold

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5534 on: Mar 08, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Perch bite was slow today but managed a couple nice lakers.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5535 on: Mar 08, 2015, 05:22 PM »
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5536 on: Mar 08, 2015, 06:48 PM »
krazjon that sucks any damage to the truck. see the ramps got messed up. good on getting you auger back. Dang

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5537 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:47 PM »
krajon that sucks did the tail gate get bent kind looks it form picture. That's two strikes I would not go back.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #5538 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:13 PM »
I got on the South end today for a few hours, tried a few laker holes and only manged to catch 5 ciscos, gave them to a nearby guy who was using tip-ups and he caught a 27 inch laker..The odd thing about the ciscos was they hit a large pink PK flutter, in laker size....I also tied several of my South end perch spots, could not find a perch on any of them.  i believe these spots also had the benthic mats to kill the clam invasion and they killed the perch beds and bottom dwelling bugs the perch feed on too...Barebow

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5539 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Do any of you guys use that ion Electric auger? I watched it cut through 7-8 inches of ice like butter over a month ago but just curious how it handles double that amount of ice. For $500 it sure is a hell of a lot lighter than any power auger and would definitely consider  a purchase if it holds up for a full day on the king.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5540 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Do any of you guys use that ion Electric auger? I watched it cut through 7-8 inches of ice like butter over a month ago but just curious how it handles double that amount of ice. For $500 it sure is a hell of a lot lighter than any power auger and would definitely consider  a purchase if it holds up for a full day on the king.

Slabcommander has one and I used it about 3 weeks ago on the king...it was nothing short of impressive. He said it will cut 100 holes on a full charge at 18" of ice.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5541 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:31 PM »
20v dewalt and clam auger with 6" lazer is great

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5542 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:33 PM »
I use the new propane auger by eskimo with an 8" bit. I have fished 10x this winter drilling holes for my tip ups, holes for perchin and have yet to replace the 3$ propane tank that I started the season with. It's 32lbs but it's a quick starter and drills a lot nicer than a hand auger ;)
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5543 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:35 PM »
[  i believe these spots also had the benthic mats to kill the clam invasion and they killed the perch beds and bottom dwelling bugs the perch feed on too...Barebow
[/quote]How would one find out what bays have those mats in them??. Kind of sucks going to one of your spots and there's no fish due to that.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #5544 on: Mar 08, 2015, 08:39 PM »
AJ, not sure, I believe most of the bays near the west shore and beach road had them, but they moved them over the past 3 years or so....I had my micro cam and was going to look but the dang thang wont work again...I think all the places near the marinas were likely where they found clams and zebra mussels, but they had used them before that on some milfoil areas too....Barebow

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5545 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:09 PM »
Slabcommander has one and I used it about 3 weeks ago on the king...it was nothing short of impressive. He said it will cut 100 holes on a full charge at 18" of ice.

They are impressive augers, keeping the battery warm is the trick. I watched one cut 30 holes through 15 inches of ice. The auger was then laid on the ice with the battery up. It got cold and cut three more holes and died. Could be the battery wasn't properly cared for and wouldn't take a full charge or just the cold knocked the life out of it. But it did start out at full charge. I personally would have to have a back up battery.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5546 on: Mar 08, 2015, 10:16 PM »
They are impressive augers, keeping the battery warm is the trick. I watched one cut 30 holes through 15 inches of ice. The auger was then laid on the ice with the battery up. It got cold and cut three more holes and died. Could be the battery wasn't properly cared for and wouldn't take a full charge or just the cold knocked the life out of it. But it did start out at full charge. I personally would have to have a back up battery.
in a bag surrounded with hand warmers.... ;D

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5547 on: Mar 09, 2015, 02:57 AM »
Keep the battery warm and out of the weather, if not you will only get a dozen holes.

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5548 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:51 AM »

It would help if the guy wasn't a moron!  Dull blades, and wasn't a full charge.  Blades are changed now and I full charge it after each trip.  Early season I was only charging every 3-5 trips.
I love clipboard man

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5549 on: Mar 09, 2015, 05:06 AM »
Lol I watched the other ion die too Jon. I wasn't talking about yours. I actually counted the holes that got drilled. You only made the mistake once. Your Usaually pretty good at keeping it warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.