New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346960 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #5220 on: Feb 17, 2015, 01:14 PM »
ok, told me they go right off fort ann beach for pike in a weedy bay, never heard that before so was asking, thanks for the heads up

Andrews bay is just north of pilot knob...its a place i've heard hints of producing large pike.    Me, If I was going to target big pike in lake george, the Lake Assocation is nice enough to have maps showing where the densest stands of milfoil are in the lake...   I would think that some of the more remote areas with milfoil would probably be where you stand your best chance of icing a big pike - this is just a theory though.   We always caught plenty of good pike right off Vets back in the 80's and 90's.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5221 on: Feb 17, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I'm sure if you fished 7 days a week all winter you MAY catch a Salmon. 

I gave up my dream of getting one on the ice.  Although if I set out tipups I'm putting some 2-4' below ice.  I had a MONSTER laker under my shanty yesterday so if be setup for Salmon and Lakers.. Not a total waste of effort going strictly for salmon.

Fishmon

« Reply #5222 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Any body out with a quad lately?  It was tough going on the northern end of the lake a week or so ago, but wondering if it is getting better  :) or worse :-\

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5223 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:11 PM »
I gave up my dream of getting one on the ice.  Although if I set out tipups I'm putting some 2-4' below ice.  I had a MONSTER laker under my shanty yesterday so if be setup for Salmon and Lakers.. Not a total waste of effort going strictly for salmon.

Agreed, my friends and I have seen a number of large lake trout cruising right under the ice this year, my buddy did jig up a nice salmon off vets, 30 feet down over 70 feet of water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5224 on: Feb 17, 2015, 03:25 PM »
I have also witnessed large lakers under the ice.  One of which took a hair raising swipe at a keitech I was dropping....of course it missed!

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5225 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:09 PM »

I was fishing today for Lakers, but I marked  lot of Smelt under the ice, that's why the Lakers are there. :o

IW

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #5226 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:31 PM »
wanted to try it for pike in that area, was told its a good pike area. How deep is the water there ?
the bay just to the north of ft. Ann beach is an awesome perch pike spot u will get Lakers there too good luck

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5227 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:38 PM »
I haven't set a tip up more than 20ft below the ice this year and havent had a set in deeper than 60fow and  have had pretty good luck with lakers.   Not a single salmon yet. The trout are on the perch beds for sure.  I have had more than a few of them follow perch im reeling in all the way to the hole.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5228 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:59 PM »
how is the parking on Huddle Beach Rd?? and is it the road to access the lake?  Think I was there once but can't remember. Looking to fish the bay. Thanks

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5229 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:13 PM »

If you go on the weekend, get there early, it fills up. You can access on Bixby Beach road but the same there.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5230 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Andrews bay is just north of pilot knob...its a place i've heard hints of producing large pike.    Me, If I was going to target big pike in lake george, the Lake Assocation is nice enough to have maps showing where the densest stands of milfoil are in the lake...   I would think that some of the more remote areas with milfoil would probably be where you stand your best chance of icing a big pike - this is just a theory though.   We always caught plenty of good pike right off Vets back in the 80's and 90's.

Milfoil on lake george, that isn't being killed exterminated or controlled? Please tell me where.

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5231 on: Feb 17, 2015, 09:01 PM »
2x on this question!

Any body out with a quad lately?  It was tough going on the northern end of the lake a week or so ago, but wondering if it is getting better  :) or worse :-\

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5232 on: Feb 17, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Agreed, my friends and I have seen a number of large lake trout cruising right under the ice this year, my buddy did jig up a nice salmon off vets, 30 feet down over 70 feet of water.

Lightning strike
Just kidding its nice to hear of four or five salmon caught every year  ???

Seriously
What a waste to stock salmon!
Either stock enough so we can catch them or quit WASTING money on dumb salmon!  I'm sure plenty of people get salmon every season but it seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

Promote tourism! Stock walleye's! 
Deep fried shore lunch would bring the masses and put waaay more money into the area then a few slamon.

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5233 on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:47 PM »
Lightning strike

Seriously
Either stock enough so we can catch them or quit WASTING money on dumb salmon!  I'm sure plenty of people get salmon every season but it seems like a huge waste of resources to me.

Deep fried shore lunch would bring the masses and put waaay more money into the area then a few slamon.

im with you on that be a great lake for walleye

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #5234 on: Feb 18, 2015, 02:38 AM »
im with you on that be a great lake for walleye
             One day when coming off the ice, there two game wardens checking guys in the parking lot, and we were discussing that
             exact scenario and they said that it would never happen, They claim that the lake is too big, that they couldn't get enough
             Walleye in there to make a difference for years.

IW

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5235 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:03 AM »
Baby steps!  ::) @)

Offline perch puller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5236 on: Feb 18, 2015, 04:49 AM »
the bay just to the north of ft. Ann beach is an awesome perch pike spot u will get Lakers there too good luck
newbie here just wondering how the walking would be on harris bay to decent perch grounds driving 3 hrs just do want to waste time if inaccessible

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
« Reply #5237 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:33 AM »
Out on Assembly Point yesterday, With 4 wheeler with chains, 800 Can am! The conditions are still terrible for Wheelers! Mine worked hard, could smell the Belt alot, and I was stuck Twice, where I had to winch out! A couple snowmobiles out and were doing fine. By shore snow is deep and about 12" Slush, if you find the wrong spot like me! Good Luck! Bring a shovel !  >:(
Paul

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5238 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:45 AM »
             One day when coming off the ice, there two game wardens checking guys in the parking lot, and we were discussing that
             exact scenario and they said that it would never happen, They claim that the lake is too big, that they couldn't get enough
             Walleye in there to make a difference for years.

IW

I'm sure if we told the citiots that own most of the houses and property along the lake that walleye would increase the value of there homes, they would petition for them, maybee even drop some of that extra cash they have on getting enough in there.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5239 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:07 AM »
Was wondering how the bays are?  Anyone know how Dunhams or Harris is for walking?  A buddy and I are thinking of coming up this weekend and were wondering how the walking is and the conditions are like?  No wheeler....no snowmobile.  Thanks for any help you might provide guys.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline nitro09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5240 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:19 AM »

I'm sure if we told the citiots that own most of the houses and property along the lake that walleye would increase the value of there homes, they would petition for them, maybee even drop some of that extra cash they have on getting enough in there.

I don't think the citiots want more people around. Better off going to Oneida, lot of walleyes and way more access.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5241 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:06 AM »
Lightning strike

Seriously

Give a guy a fishing rod and he instantly becomes a fish biologist! There is a lot more to managing a fishery than just dumping a crapload of fish into a lake and hoping for the best. They stock 35,000 salmon in Lake George every year. Do you think stocking walleye will be any cheaper and any more productive?
I honestly think that part of the reason guys don't catch salmon in numbers is that they are fishing in the wrong place. Common knowledge is to fish just under the ice. Obviously thats not working. I believe that salmon are like any other predatory fish, they go where the food is. I recently talked to a guy (not gonna say where) who says he caught 5 salmon (not gonna say where) jigging for perch in 30-40 FOW, in 1 outing this year. I was fishing with a buddy a few years ago who caught a keeper salmon the same way.
My guess is they are cruising the edges of the perch grounds or following the smelt around.
Just my 2 cents worth............... 
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5242 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:54 AM »
find the smelt in LG and you will find ANY fish nearby.

the hard part is, there is soooo much smelt in the lake. Where do you start?

I would look for a constant smelt pattern off the beaten path just outside of deep water, but up on a shallower, grassy flat.

Thats just my .02.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5243 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Well I do have a pretty sweet jigstick

I never claimed anything about Waldo's doing better in LG nor do I think I know anything about fish biology. Especially compared to some of the guys in this thread.  It just seems pointless to stock fish that only a handful of guys catch every year  (maybe I'm wrong and nobody talks about catching one)save the money and make launching fees lower or free..

Maybe stocking Waldo's is a dumb idea and it would take several million fingerlings just to get going..  It would be pretty awesome to camp on an island and catch dinner though..

FTR non fish biologist here..

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #5244 on: Feb 18, 2015, 12:55 PM »

Maybe stocking Waldo's is a dumb idea and it would take several million fingerlings just to get going..
They dump that many in Saratoga every year,If they stocked them the same way they do there they don't make it far from the launch before their eaten,Which is part of the problem with the Salmon stocking program in LG,finger candy for every predator there

Offline gauglerb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5245 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:33 PM »
yeah permies are allowed, but very few put them up any more because they constantly get broken into or burned down.

Jesus, that's horrible... what a shame.

Offline korushka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5246 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Is the hill at hearthstone drivable down and back up ? Thanks

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5247 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Maybe I will get alot of flak for this but why would anyone want to do anything that may jepordize the fishery.As it stands we are very fortunate to have such lake trout fishing in LG.Yes the salmon stocking has some issues but why would you want to dump millions of walleye in there.Do you think that there isn't going to be any consequences to the other species already there?I am not a biologist and I surely don't think I have the answers but when we already have a great fishery why the need to "make" it better?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5248 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Maybe I will get alot of flak for this but why would anyone want to do anything that may jepordize the fishery.As it stands we are very fortunate to have such lake trout fishing in LG.Yes the salmon stocking has some issues but why would you want to dumb millions of walleye in there.Do you think that there isn't going to be any consequences to the other species already there?I am not a biologist and I surely don't think I have the answers but when we already have a great fishery why the need to "make" it better?

because for some people, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.   The rest of us are quite happy with how the lake is now.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5249 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:51 PM »
I've dropped similar rants about the salmon while fishing with buddies. Only because I couldn't catch a salmon at Price Chopper.
They're doing something right with them the last couple years. We're hearing of more and more being caught.
If we think the salmon are a waste of money now. Try starting over from scratch. We'd be dead before a walleye population worth fishing could be established.
I think Capt JJ already explained a lot about the current status of salmon in the lake a while back on this thread. I'd regurgitate it if I could remember it myself. Go look guys. It's back there somewhere 10 or 15 pages back.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.