New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346871 times)

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #4410 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:24 AM »
JIGSTCHICK. You did a good job warning the other fisherman and waiting for everyone to get off safely :) I was there.

I don't know why I even walked out there, there were several loose chunks of ice shifting around to top it off I only marked 5 or six fish with three chasers and two biters, only landed one of the biters.

I wonder what the rain did to the ice

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4411 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:37 AM »
I know some of you don't even bother with tip ups but for those that do: is it legal to have 2 hooks on tip ups? One on the bottom and one 10'-15' up? I was thinking of giving that a whirl next weekend if it's legal.. each one with a minnow and seeing what the hell happens. If its legal, i was thinkin about giving the hook up higher just a single hook (small), so that it wouldn't catch the ice as easily as a treble would.

All thoughts are welcome. Just be nice.
From New York State Fishing regulations Site:
No person shall operate a tip‑up that has more than 5 lures or baits or a combination of both, or has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4412 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:00 AM »
Well what's the news from this warm up for lake george? Ice shifted alot here on onieda. 2 people went through even though there was 10 inches of ice.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4413 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Well what's the news from this warm up for lake george? Ice shifted alot here on onieda. 2 people went through even though there was 10 inches of ice.

It will be fine.

We were out yesterday and there was some serious cracking and shifting going on  :o. We actually walked off a little early after reports that one of the cracks opened up to 3 or 4 feet but when we walked in nothing had opened up more than a few inches.

After today it is a week straight of below freezing temps and with no snow on top of the ice it will build quickly .....   looks like we should be fishing LG for a while  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline bonez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't fishin' or huntin' you ain't living!!
« Reply #4414 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:35 AM »
Any words on what huddle bay is holding for ice?
Harold Jr.       

Offline jaejaejae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4415 on: Jan 19, 2015, 02:35 PM »
fished out of vets on sun 5 in of ice all the way out.good numbers of laker .ice was moving around allot.lots of fisherman.On the way off there was police in the parking lot.  There were 6 cars parked on the beach.Looked like they were going to tow them out.Any body see this going on.TC5 :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Was out on Vet Sunday as well.  Just about made a mess of myself on that 3rd "lakequake"  ;D worst movement I've ever felt but I've only been fishing 4 years now so each year it's something new. :)

I hope the few who parked on the beach don't ruin it for the rest of us who used the parking lot.  ::) I saw the police as well.  I was wondering if they gave out tickets.

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4416 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:01 PM »
anyone gonna make it out tomorrow. ill be out on wed and give a report.

I can tell you this much, everytime I think im gaining on some of you "pro" laker jigger you blow me out of the water.

Did double digits on Saturday at mdb only to get home and see icewanderers 31. That was my best day last year it was by far my best day of fishing ice or open water. Way to go man that's an awesome feeling walking off the ice. I had some of the most aggressive fish iv seen on Saturday. For the first little bit of the day they were marking on the graph and hitting instantly. As the day went on you had to get them chasing but it was really cool to see them show up and just smash my bait. After noon they shut right off. Couldn't even find them after that and I must have made more then a dozen moves. Weddings Saturday so im trying to get out Wednesday and Thursday.

Offline adksmitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4417 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:02 PM »
Any words on what huddle bay is holding for ice?
LET ME KNOW  IF YOUR going out. I'm off on Wednesday.

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4418 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:21 PM »
For the first little bit of the day they were marking on the graph and hitting instantly. As the day went on you had to get them chasing but it was really cool to see them show up and just smash my bait. After noon they shut right off. Couldn't even find them after that and I must have made more then a dozen moves. Weddings Saturday so im trying to get out Wednesday and Thursday.

That's laker fishing. I've only ever had a few days where I can remember the bite really sticking around past noon. That's why it pays to be on the ice, holes drilled before the sun comes up. Grip it and rip it.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline older042

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4419 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Was at vets yesterday and was coming off the ice and the jeeps parked next to the ice were blowing donuts in the volley ball court. My first thought was great we won't be able to park here much longer because of them. So we made a phone call to report it really hope they got busted stupid people ruin it for everone
New York

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4420 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:35 PM »
With those large cracks is it a good idea to wait until the weekend to come to LG? Since I have no clue where to go out there. I was hoping still bay? I'm not sure what this vet place is.
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4421 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:23 PM »
for all you Hearthstone guys  Drove by today and the gate is still closed.

JJ

« Reply #4422 on: Jan 19, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Good thing the gate is closed, the hill is probably a sheet of ice now like my driveway.

Offline Lakerluver12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4423 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Hey,  i'm looking into an underwater video camera to fish lake George perch with. I have this dream of seeing all those yellow piled up on the bottom. 
 Is there enough light 30-40' down to see the perch with?
 I've never seen one in action on lake George.
Would they work or just a waste of money?
The vexilar was essential for us in vets last weekend but when they just stopped biting the vexilar Would not explain why.  the little green line would just come up and look at my tungsten and then go back down.   That image haunts my dreams.  Why was i rejected?

thanks for any info
Love that Laker jigging!

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4424 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:16 PM »
anyone gonna make it out tomorrow. ill be out on wed and give a report.

I can tell you this much, everytime I think im gaining on some of you "pro" laker jigger you blow me out of the water.

Did double digits on Saturday at mdb only to get home and see icewanderers 31. That was my best day last year it was by far my best day of fishing ice or open water. Way to go man that's an awesome feeling walking off the ice. I had some of the most aggressive fish iv seen on Saturday. For the first little bit of the day they were marking on the graph and hitting instantly. As the day went on you had to get them chasing but it was really cool to see them show up and just smash my bait. After noon they shut right off. Couldn't even find them after that and I must have made more then a dozen moves. Weddings Saturday so im trying to get out Wednesday and Thursday.

Honestly should have had a 50 fish day man. It was a day like none other for me. Had I not been trying to film every hook up I would have caught each fish. Must have had. 15 on that got off Before they reached the hole. And many others I just didn't tease to get the bite. Most came from dead sticking my bait. Then when they showed up the pull away. In time I'll edit the footage and post it. Amateur for sure but I tried. I'll find the big numbers again I'm confident . Treat them like perch. However the. 31 came from one hole never Moved. Amazing to say the least and I caught the fewest of the group. I figured out of 4 dudes 130 or more lakers were Landed and 1 salmon. Not to forget the six pointer to start the day.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4425 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Hey,  i'm looking into an underwater video camera to fish lake George perch with. I have this dream of seeing all those yellow piled up on the bottom. 
 Is there enough light 30-40' down to see the perch with?
 I've never seen one in action on lake George.
Would they work or just a waste of money?
The vexilar was essential for us in vets last weekend but when they just stopped biting the vexilar Would not explain why.  the little green line would just come up and look at my tungsten and then go back down.   That image haunts my dreams.  Why was i rejected?

thanks for any info

I have a Fish TV that my wife bought for me a couple of years ago and it works great. No problem seeing perch at 50', I only wish she got me the one with a 100' cord because it would have come in handy a few times.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4426 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I have scuba dived on lake george, and without a doubt you will be able to pick up everything at 30-40'. I dove to 80' and the visibility in that lake is nothing short of amazing for fresh water.

that being said, Last winter I tied my go pro onto my jigging rod and I sent it down to 120' deep. I was curious to see what was down there. I did this right out infront of Paulist fathers. It was very hard to make out what was going on at that depth, but after I watched it a few times, I then realized that the "white things" I saw swimming by the screen, over and over again were actually the white bellys of lakers.

Offline DrGreene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4427 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:59 AM »
I want to go scuba diving  that sounds very interesting

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4428 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:10 AM »
I have thought about a camera but then I think, Darn that's an awful lot of cord to put up and down a hole when looking for fish. I like my fl8 to much. I'll stick with that. Shows me fish and don't have to wind and rewind cord. Good luck out there.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4429 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:29 AM »
Good thing the gate is closed, the hill is probably a sheet of ice now like my driveway.
It Is.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline jmc1ny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4430 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:39 AM »
Anyone been out around nap estate/ shelving rock area ?  If so how much ice. Not sure if I should head there this weekend area always seem to freeze last.  Thanks

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4431 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:41 AM »
Catchnofish...to answer your question about the rocks falling. A major chunk of Anthony's Nose broke off and smashed through the ice in the (I wanna say...late 80s early 90s)its directly across from indian kettles. The orange colored mountain cliff is all newly exposed since then. That is the deepest spot on the lake after the calf's pen. Good place to catch Ciscos and Lakers. You have a couple of dynamite spots right off your dock there.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4432 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:20 AM »
jmc I haven't heard anything recently but last I had heard the road was pretty rough with down trees everywhere. I don't know how it looks now after this last ice storm road could be pretty tricky to navigate

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #4433 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:34 AM »
hey tony. lets get out there.. pm me

Offline jamey0921

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4434 on: Jan 20, 2015, 12:57 PM »
great day on LG this morning!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4435 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:15 PM »
a little eye candy from this past weekend

a good one

Fontana19 showing off a chunk

lakerscottyj with an amazing salmon he caught jigging - after he totalled his car on a deer, limped it up to the parking lot, and fishing for a few hours before dealing with it...what a trooper and what a fish!

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4436 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Beautiful fish bigred. I'm jealous!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4437 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Awesome fish guys!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4438 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:53 PM »
Wow man!
And Terry's arms aren't extended like I make my kids do for a pic.  :P
And a salmon on the jig?!?!
Well done all around guys!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4439 on: Jan 20, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Heard about the car, that sucks.  Awesome reward though!
I love clipboard man

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.