New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1346930 times)

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #3840 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Fished Blairs Bay Today.  Got a 27" right off the bat, then nothing of good size afterwards.  Still my best of the season.  Couple of inches of slop on top but ice is holding great.  If we don't get any crazy rain or warm temps, the shorelines should be good for another couple of weeks.  It was a ghost town today, only a couple of guys on the south side of the bay.   There was a Mazda Pickup buried right at the end of the access ramp, looked like it had been there since the snow fell.  They got it out sometime today, must have been a fun recovery. :o  Be back next week.   
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3841 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Tough perch bite this afternoon, but there are bigger ones showing up.  Caught ciscoes about 8 inches too in 30 ft. of water.  Had the camera and would watch the perch swim up to the jig, the minute it moved, they turn and swam away.. Tough walking.....Barebow :tipup:

Where'd you find the ciscoes? I've been wanting to catch em for a while. Of all the bays/spots I've fished, I found that only in a certain area out of Vet's, my Vexilar screen lights up occasionally with huge schools. Could be smelt or ciscoes I guess, but I don't get that anywhere else.

Get the flag!

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #3842 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:25 AM »
i have only had luck with ciscoes out of vets  in between green and crown island

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3843 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:37 AM »
lol I didn't want to drop any spots, but yet, that's where I had them too. Just schools of millions of them, but couldn't get them to take. I put on the tiniest jig I had, and in the midst of the schools, I saw very slight movements on my spring bobber but setting the hook didn't get anything. How do you guys get em?
Get the flag!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3844 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:49 AM »
lol yeah i thought about that too but ya know its just about the end of the season i dont mind giving up and few spot and ciscoes are hard to find lol so whoever takes my advice good luck!!! i have been having a crappie weekend ;D

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3845 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Very nice,I'm assuming not LG or u'd have more perch mixed in?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3846 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:56 AM »
yeah lake george has been mean to me lately. seems like all i can catch is lake trout ... id give up the spot they all came from but its private.

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3847 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Fished Blairs Bay Today.  Got a 27" right off the bat, then nothing of good size afterwards.  Still my best of the season.  Couple of inches of slop on top but ice is holding great.  If we don't get any crazy rain or warm temps, the shorelines should be good for another couple of weeks.  It was a ghost town today, only a couple of guys on the south side of the bay.   There was a Mazda Pickup buried right at the end of the access ramp, looked like it had been there since the snow fell.  They got it out sometime today, must have been a fun recovery. :o  Be back next week.

Nice Mike! I was wondering if that was you over there yesterday.. I was acrossed the lake in forest bay.. fished with a new friend here in the bay and got a 23" and a short... 20"  both on tip ups in 30-40' of water.. had shiners on not suckers...
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3848 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Never posted a picture. Hope it works.... Had a good day at PK. Being a Lake George rookie still I haven't caught many, but yesterday morning a buddy and I caught 4 before we could even get out tip ups in! After that morning run tho it was extremely slow. I guess that's the disadvantage of setting tip ups..In the late afternoon I caught this one jigging. It did the classic, chase my jig 80 ft to 2 ft below the ice and smash it. I had lost him on the flasher and I didn't think he was there anymore! I stopped my jig just below the hole and he hit it! Ended up catching 6. 5 on tip ups and this one jigging. These fish are great......and beautiful!!

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3849 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Sorry. That pictures huge!!  :o

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3850 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:25 AM »
nice fish  ;D

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #3851 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Nice looking fish....Congrats :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3852 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:12 PM »
eastern/central I understand, never give up anything to good on here :-) unless you like lots of company on the ice.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3853 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Nice Mike! I was wondering if that was you over there yesterday.. I was acrossed the lake in forest bay.. fished with a new friend here in the bay and got a 23" and a short... 20"  both on tip ups in 30-40' of water.. had shiners on not suckers...
I saw a couple groups of guys across the water, figured one was you.  If I get up one weekend solo I'l  trek across and fish on your side.  Keep in touch.
Mike
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3854 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Never posted a picture. Hope it works.... Had a good day at PK. Being a Lake George rookie still I haven't caught many, but yesterday morning a buddy and I caught 4 before we could even get out tip ups in! After that morning run tho it was extremely slow. I guess that's the disadvantage of setting tip ups..In the late afternoon I caught this one jigging. It did the classic, chase my jig 80 ft to 2 ft below the ice and smash it. I had lost him on the flasher and I didn't think he was there anymore! I stopped my jig just below the hole and he hit it! Ended up catching 6. 5 on tip ups and this one jigging. These fish are great......and beautiful!!

ej, great pic's and see ya on the river soon.. I'm just across on the "left" , other side ..lol

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3855 on: Mar 17, 2014, 03:04 AM »
Nice laker, fun watching them chase you up and down.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3856 on: Mar 17, 2014, 03:26 AM »
the ice should be clean again any body know. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3857 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:41 AM »
Everything has firmed up on the bay I have been fishing.
Most of the snow melted the day before and refroze that night and yesterday. Hard as a rock and dry as a bone.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3858 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:01 AM »
the ice should be clean again any body know. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

We fished out of vets ....  up into nw bay.

There was about 2 or 3 inches of snow / slush on top of the ice. Sleds stayed on top and the sled tracks froze solid so it's not too bad.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Fishmon

« Reply #3859 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Ice was solid as a rock yesterday and easy walking with creepers.  I was cutting through 20-24 inches off Silver Bay.  LT were active ;)

Offline traxter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3860 on: Mar 17, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Fished out of pilot knob yesterday and the ice was a solid 2 feet thick - a little slippery but solid as a rock , we traveled all the way to assembly point and back on a wheeler , it was cold and windy - got some nice perch and left by 11am .  It was making ice all day.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3861 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I found a pair of prescription glasses and a case off of vets yesterday - if anyone is aware of someone missing them send them my way.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3862 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Hey Ship of Fools, it was nice meeting you at Copake Lake last week. I took your advise on jig/bait to use and it worked!! Check out the picture below. We'll have to meet up some time up on George...

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3863 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Because this is on my mind daily at this point, how many weeks do people think we have left on LG until the ice isn't safe? I know it's speculation and I know everyone has their own comfort level as to how much ice they will stand on. I haven't been out nearly as much as I would like to this year, but plan on fishing this weekend and next at least. I drove up to Fort Ann beach 2 weekends ago and there were 20+ cars and trucks on the ice. Yesterday...there was 1.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3864 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Because this is on my mind daily at this point, how many weeks do people think we have left on LG until the ice isn't safe? I know it's speculation and I know everyone has their own comfort level as to how much ice they will stand on. I haven't been out nearly as much as I would like to this year, but plan on fishing this weekend and next at least. I drove up to Fort Ann beach 2 weekends ago and there were 20+ cars and trucks on the ice. Yesterday...there was 1.

I can tell you that there was MORE ice on the lake yesterday, then there was 2 weeks ago.

The ice will be around for a while yet. Judging by the way the weather still looks, it wouldn't be exaggerating to say another month.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3865 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:55 PM »
I went off the beach Saturday. There's still 18-20 inches of ice probly. Never actually measured it. What I couldn't believe was when we got there in the morning there was no one there!! Thought for sure it was gonna be like the weekend before. I think the snow and wind stopped people from going...

Offline shakedownstreet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3866 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:07 PM »
So I wasn't seeing things! I never fished off FAB but like I said, it was packed the weekend before. Yesterday, a ghost toww. It was windy though and that is something that will deter me from fishing for sure. I'm a wimp when it comes to extreme (like 0 and beyond) cold temps and/or wind. I was out last weekend and tried out my new Strikemaster gas auger. Must have been at least 14-16" off of Bixby and to the right. I was so glad I bought this. Seems like I'll be even happier if the ice has gotten even thicker. SS.. another month sounds very reassuring. You're probably right. I took some personal days to have extended weekends but either the weather sucked or I  did....well, with catching fish that day. I'm pumped again knowing that I will get out at least another 4 or 5 times and maybe a few more up north like on South Bay.
"Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills,
One man gathers what another man spills."

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3867 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Shakedown, we were out of bixby yesterday. There must have been 20-21" of ice where we were, plus another few inches of hard snow cover.

a few weeks ago before all the snow, we measured 17" of solid black ice. With a actual measuring tape. Hand drilling yesterday was killer. The auger is almost to the knuckle before it goes through. Good thing my dad brought the gas auger. I drilled 2 holes by hand and said forget this! and picked up the gas auger lol

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #3868 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:31 PM »

... a good guesstimate for last decent ice, and still have reasonably good shore ice to get on, would be between March 26th (week from this Wednesday) though April 2nd (two Tuesdays from tomorrow) - then that'll be 'bout it - done !

... 9 to 14 day's left, "at very, very best" if that !

... it's a edjumocated guess !

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/12845
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3869 on: Mar 17, 2014, 07:36 PM »
i agree with cbiscut.mid april maybe. what alot don't understand is 4-6 even 8 inches in the spring isn't as strong as 4 in the winter. the ice gets honeycobed and brittle and isn't safe,i know.i went thru 8 inches in late march years ago, be careful out there.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.