New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1347079 times)

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #2700 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Oh yea, one of the lakers I caught today was loaded with little critters. Not sure what they were. They where whitish in color. Looked like a bb with two little tails on it and they were tiny. Kinda gross looking. I think I read somewhere in this topic about whatever they are and im not sure I could have put that one on a plate even if it was a keeper.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #2701 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Oh yea, one of the lakers I caught today was loaded with little critters. Not sure what they were. They where whitish in color. Looked like a bb with two little tails on it and they were tiny. Kinda gross looking. I think I read somewhere in this topic about whatever they are and im not sure I could have put that one on a plate even if it was a keeper.
They might have been fresh water shrimp.
Dream Catcher

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #2702 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Look at Bigred's picture on page 131 this board, parasitic copepods.....almost all lakers have them, some small and can't be seen...Barebow...

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2703 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:42 PM »
that would be them. this thing was covered like he said. It looked pretty nasty to be honest with you.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #2704 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:47 PM »
This is my first time targeting lake trout but I just realized that they aren't in season right now...Isnt it illegal to target a fish when its not in season..

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2705 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:51 PM »
This is my first time targeting lake trout but I just realized that they aren't in season right now...Isnt it illegal to target a fish when its not in season..

The season for lake trout on lake George is open year round.  Limit is 2 with a 23 inch minimum size limit.

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #2706 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:55 PM »

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31501.html

Lake George and tributaries upstream to first barrier impassable by fish Trout All year Any size 5 Ice fishing permitted;
Use or possession of smelt prohibited
Lake trout All year 23" QTY per day 2
Landlocked salmon All year 18" QTY per day 2

***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2707 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:26 AM »
Twins caught on 4 lb out of the same hole in 35fow.  1 strip on the salmon set, that was the only flag for the day.  Has anyone caught a salmon this year?

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2708 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:58 AM »
Nice lakers.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2709 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:11 AM »
hay fishinfool you box is full.lol i can't send you a pm. :'(

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2710 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:21 AM »
hay fishinfool you box is full.lol i can't send you a pm. :'(
cleaned out now!
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2711 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:35 AM »
Heads up for anyone hitting Pilot Knob.
A. It's been a tough bite out there. For me anyway.  :P
B. One of the quads opened up the very 1st crack a bit. There's a small busted up section just big enough to swallow a dude. I can imagine someone got a good scare yesterday.
I had found one lonely tipup that was left behind by someone. It was new and had no name or address on it. There was 1 group left out there ( I love fishing Super Bowl Sunday  ;D ). When I discovered the hole on the way in I decided to set that tipup in the hole with the flag up. I'm hoping others see why I put it there and leave it. At least until those chunks set back up.
If you lost a tipup out there... You know where to find it.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline NewIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2712 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Made my first trip from up north and had a blast chasing lakers. Caught and released a couple of them. It was quite an experience seeing all of the ice fishermen all over the place. I will certainly go back.

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #2713 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Went out both days from huddle ... Filled the perch bucket Saturday .... Went in-between  sweet briar and out to the crack at 80 feet deep On sunday ...Lots of chasers ...  Not many people around ... Landed a few 21 inch lakers .. 8 inches of ice on the jigsaw  looking stuff ... My wife got her first laker jigging ...

*REMOVED*

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #2714 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Also there is a set of keys hanging by the drain on huddle beach rd ... There's a piece of foil stuck on a stick  and the keys are hanging right below it ... There is a can opener and guitar pick on the key ring ... This is as of late Sunday evening !!!
*REMOVED*

Offline catchnofishthisisfun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2715 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:50 AM »
Sunday I went out for the day with a buddy. Our goal was to get some perch in the 1st half of our day and then explore an area in the north basin that I haven't fished yet. THere was a fishing party out on the lake in front of Indian Kettles.. As we approached, they appeared to be doing well.  They had a couple fish on the ice, were using interesting techniques of walking away from the hole jigging and then walking back to it. Longer rods 40" + and big spoons. Trying to figure out how to get out near them while completely respecting their area, we walked around their party trying to say hello and be friendly. They were a grumpy bunch of wise asses... We asked how deep it is out here and if any luck? One guy pointed to a fish on the ice and then the other said, we're fishing the bottom not revealing the depth. After we walked a minimum of a hundred yards away from them we sat down and tried jigging a little in 150 FOW.. I Overheard them saying "wow! those guys don't know what the F&&& they're doing" ... Well no kidding dummy, thats why we are covering the lake with a vex checkin depths and looking for fish. Excuse me for not inherently having all the lake knowledge immediately after a couple years of fishing. I love rednecks.. i hate miserable, unwelcoming, unfriendly rednecks. This is why I go out on the ice and am nervous about saying hello to people.

Anyways, Ended up catching my first laker and it was an awesome experience. I keep catching them in perch land with a tiny swedish pimple. I know the numbers wont be there in perch country but it was really fun. Got a laker saturday and broke it off and in the same spot sunday i got another. Fun stuff..I get it now  ;D
"One fish. Two fish. Red fish. Blue fish. Black fish. Blue fish. Old fish. New fish. This one has a little star. This one has a little car. Say! What a lot of fish there are."  Dr. Seuss

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2716 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:04 AM »
struggled this weekend again. Only a few small lakers between a few of us.

I need to find new laker grounds, or need to actually learn what I am doing.

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2717 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:09 AM »
Best to leave people like that alone ther a bummer plus sounds like they didnt kno what they wer doin having long rods n such. Those fish were probably bo to dumb luck an number of ppl they had. Dont get discureged

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2718 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:44 AM »
It's cool how you can ease drop at 150+ yards out on the ice yesterday. 

I heard some guy talking about droping his phone down the hole.  I could hear some Russians or something shouting in their language.  One father getting all emotional with his son..

I'm either bringing headphones or scouting out some secluded places.

Is it safe to go wandering through narrows?  I think I'm going exploring next weekend or maybe go perchin.

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2719 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Yeah my dad always made us whisper while ice fishing or on the boat. Sound travels.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2720 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Interesting weekend.  We had some long periods where we didn't mark any fish, but then long periods where you couldn't put the rod down.   Alot of my friends had tough times catching fish all over the lake.  It wasn't just us.  We stayed on some off-the-beaten path areas away from the crowds; combined with a willingness to find the fish, it worked out well.  We got some really nice fish, and ended up putting up some very good numbers by the end of the weekend.

Fontana19 with his 31.75" beauty

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2721 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:25 AM »
nice looking lt

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2722 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:40 AM »
nice fish!!!!! I fished harris bay ssaturday and got 35 keeper perch and 2 lakers. 1 20 incher and a 26 incher. only pic I got before my buddys phone died. tons of dink perch! had to catch 200 of em. 15 inches of ice and boy is it hard to drill with a old 7 inch hand auger! going to pk tomorrow and wensday.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #2723 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2724 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Awesome fish Red and Font! Congrats!

Mike

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2725 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Twins caught on 4 lb out of the same hole in 35fow.  1 strip on the salmon set, that was the only flag for the day.  Has anyone caught a salmon this year?

Nice!   ;D

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2726 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Went out both days from huddle ... Filled the perch bucket Saturday .... Went in-between  sweet briar and out to the crack at 80 feet deep On sunday ...Lots of chasers ...  Not many people around ... Landed a few 21 inch lakers .. 8 inches of ice on the jigsaw  looking stuff ... My wife got her first laker jigging ...

Great pic and congrats on her 1st King laker!

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2727 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Sunday I went out for the day with a buddy. Our goal was to get some perch in the 1st half of our day and then explore an area in the north basin that I haven't fished yet. THere was a fishing party out on the lake in front of Indian Kettles.. As we approached, they appeared to be doing well.  They had a couple fish on the ice, were using interesting techniques of walking away from the hole jigging and then walking back to it. Longer rods 40" + and big spoons. Trying to figure out how to get out near them while completely respecting their area, we walked around their party trying to say hello and be friendly. They were a grumpy bunch of wise asses... We asked how deep it is out here and if any luck? One guy pointed to a fish on the ice and then the other said, we're fishing the bottom not revealing the depth. After we walked a minimum of a hundred yards away from them we sat down and tried jigging a little in 150 FOW.. I Overheard them saying "wow! those guys don't know what the F&&& they're doing" ... Well no kidding dummy, thats why we are covering the lake with a vex checkin depths and looking for fish. Excuse me for not inherently having all the lake knowledge immediately after a couple years of fishing. I love rednecks.. i hate miserable, unwelcoming, unfriendly rednecks. This is why I go out on the ice and am nervous about saying hello to people.

Anyways, Ended up catching my first laker and it was an awesome experience. I keep catching them in perch land with a tiny swedish pimple. I know the numbers wont be there in perch country but it was really fun. Got a laker saturday and broke it off and in the same spot sunday i got another. Fun stuff..I get it now  ;D

Congrats on your 1st laker, sorry to hear about your negative experience. There will always be morons out there no matter where you go on and off the ice. We aren't all like that and plenty of us are more than happy to converse and either offer our own advice or learn for ourselves what works and what doesn't. Stay safe out there.

Offline Mayne, J

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2728 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Nice fat fish ther

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2729 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:40 AM »
I love rednecks.. i hate miserable, unwelcoming, unfriendly rednecks. This is why I go out on the ice and am nervous about saying hello to people.

If you're an ice fisherman, most people already consider YOU a redneck...   And anyone who would treat you like that isn't a redneck, they are a jerk.

Also, just like in the rest of life, no need to be afraid to talk to people.   the jerks really are few and far between.  sorry you had to run into people like that.

congrats on your first laker!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.