New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Who has bait now?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Who has bait now?
« on: Nov 09, 2007, 06:51 AM »
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I see ice in our future with overnight lows in teens and in some instances in the single digits  in the central dacks.
Anyway do any baits shops in the albany area have Icicles,  meal worms, waxxies, spikes etc..

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
Re: Who has bait now?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Maybe I'm jumping the gun but I see ice in our future with overnight lows in teens and in some instances in the single digits  in the central dacks.
Anyway do any baits shops in the albany area have Icicles,  meal worms, waxxies, spikes etc..

Hey flood we probably use em but call em something else ICICLES?? What are they?

Why not buy in bulk thru a mail order or local dealer. I buy my bait by the 500 or 1000 depending on the price.
I usually have till the spring and the run of pannies. Just keep em in the fridge in the butter tray area.
My wife loves that!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Hey flood we probably use em but call em something else ICICLES?? What are they?

Why not buy in bulk Thur a mail order or local dealer. I buy my bait by the 500 or 1000 depending on the price.
I usually have till the spring and the run of pannies. Just keep em in the fridge in the butter tray area.
My wife loves that!
Emerald Shiners=Icicles
I would prefer to buy the grubs local if i can help it. I have ordered in bulk in the past and I leaning that way based on my hope that we have ice sooner than later and that the local ships may not be ready...will see..

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Icicles are emerald shiners. Emerald shiners are known by many names such as buckeyes, icicles, ect.

Acording to my information, the collection of this specie by bait collecters for reasale purposes ( NOT the resale at shops on the water part ) in new york state is restricted to those that have a transport permit. A transport permit allows a person to collect and transport uncertified minnows from VHS free waters.

So far, I'm the only person in the state possesing such a permit.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2007, 06:45 PM »
if anybody is in the saratoga corinth area try bobs bait. jackie is the best tell em brooks sent ya. and dont forget "support your local bait shop"
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Icicles are emerald shiners. Emerald shiners are known by many names such as buckeyes, icicles, ect.

Acording to my information, the collection of this specie by bait collecters for reasale purposes ( NOT the resale at shops on the water part ) in new york state is restricted to those that have a transport permit. A transport permit allows a person to collect and transport uncertified minnows from VHS free waters.

So far, I'm the only person in the state possesing such a permit.

Crawdad when did they start determining waters were vhs free, wouldn't that contradict the new regulations. Then really the bait wouldn't have to be certified ?
Mr.Esox

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:43 AM »
any word on who has what bait  ??? i've called a few local bait shops and they dont have any icicles yet..havet ordered them yet either. I'm just a little worried about not having them for first ice :'(

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2007, 06:53 AM »
I a little worried too jflood.  It seams every year that I find ice before bait.  I used to buy a bunch of bait in November and keep them alive in tanks until I did find ice...Which is illegal now!  What I'll probably do if I find early ice is catch small perch and use them for bait.  I plan on hitting the Blue Line (Saranac Lake) today for some hunting stuff, and I'll ask them what there plan is for bait this year.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2007, 10:50 AM »
The local bait shop had no plans on getting minnows any time soon.  They wait for good ice first.

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:58 PM »
Mr Esox-  Basicly the state shut down the great lakes and tribs. Oneida lake is not considered a trib, as there is impassible barriers and if you look close at what they determined, the "waters of the state" was devided up. Oneida lake is from lock 23 to lock 22.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Anyone know where a guy can get smelt in the Rochester area ?
These new VHS regs really screw up my self caught smelt for bait .

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2007, 01:07 PM »
Jim's Bait Shop in Mayfield NY has plenty of shiners, suckers, maggots etc.( I think he said fatheads too).  I spoke with him today.

Offline Highlander2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Was into MOUNTAIN BAIT & TACKLE SPORTING shop this past week end and he has his stuff out and sells bait year round and its great bait. Hes in Liberty, Sullivan County.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:28 AM »
ok now that we are within striking distance of early ice does anybody in the state have emeralds/buckeye/icicles. ??? I understand that bait fish(or certain bait fish ???) cant be transported into the state but does that mean every bait shop in ny will be without them ??? Cant those little fishy be caught legally and in a healthy ny lake ???  Are we really going to have to do without  ???

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2007, 01:57 PM »
I can't promise the world, but I'm trying like heck to help that situation. There IS emeralds being harvested within NY by myself but only 10 % of my goal is harvested so far. Hopefully this week will pan out better than last.

Offline andy VT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2007, 02:49 PM »
dont you have to have them sertified

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:54 PM »
dont you have to have them sertified

Yes,they have to be certified. There's ALOT of behind the scenes paperwork that is quite involved with this whole thing.

Offline jimd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:57 PM »
As soon as crayfishbob gets the minnows ready, i'll be stocking my store. We probably wont see good ice on Oneida lake for quite awhile and I really dont care to hold on to a few thousand minnows too long. I'll take my chances just incase it freezes early this year.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Crayfish,
I understand that your a little short on help harvesting the minnows.  If things work out for this weekend I mighht be able to give you a hand for a couple hours along with maybe 1 or 2 more.  I wish I could help out more but maybe a few locals up there will be willing to help you seine some up.  Sure would stink to run out of buckeyes just when the Walldogs and Perch get rolling this winter.  I'll let Todd know what going to happen this weekend.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Does anyone know of a bait place around Averill Park? There was a couple but they closed do to the new laws. :'(

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Crayfish,
I understand that your a little short on help harvesting the minnows.  If things work out for this weekend I mighht be able to give you a hand for a couple hours along with maybe 1 or 2 more.  I wish I could help out more but maybe a few locals up there will be willing to help you seine some up.  Sure would stink to run out of buckeyes just when the Walldogs and Perch get rolling this winter.  I'll let Todd know what going to happen this weekend.

Steve
I appreciate it, and yes I can use help. Unfortunatly the weather does not look good ( for me, but good for ICE !! ) past thursday, but you never know. Its a matter of timing, luck and work. Within fifteen minutes this morning it went from minnow heaven to a desert.  :embarassed:

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:02 PM »
I stopped and got bait at Jims in Mayfield this morning. His supplier has emeralds  he  should have them in his shop soon . He had some nice suckers and shiners in various sizes.
Tight Lines

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:18 PM »
I'm glad someone is getting them, the way my luck is going.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:22 PM »
Has anyone checked with Conroys in Watervliet, Hanks in Round lake or the Wiggley Worm in Burnt Hills on emerlds

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2007, 12:48 PM »
I a little worried too jflood.  It seams every year that I find ice before bait.  I used to buy a bunch of bait in November and keep them alive in tanks until I did find ice...Which is illegal now!  What I'll probably do if I find early ice is catch small perch and use them for bait.  I plan on hitting the Blue Line (Saranac Lake) today for some hunting stuff, and I'll ask them what there plan is for bait this year.
Check the regs.  I did the same thing in school using small dead perch for pike bait up un the dack's.  It was food for a poor college student.  Once the state put a limit on perch they became a game fish so I belive that using them as bait is aginst the law now????
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Check the regs........ Once the state put a limit on perch they became a game fish so I believe that using them as bait is against the law now????
s

I believe it has to have a size limit to qualify for that.  You have to mind the daily and possesion limits.

Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:47 PM »
s

I believe it has to have a size limit to qualify for that.  You have to mind the daily and possesion limits.

Steve
I had this conversation with DEC a couple of years ago.
They said (re:perch, bass, ect..) use at will but it better be legal size, in season, and counted as part of your daily limit. It was laid out to be if you obtain said fish legally it is yours to eat, bait, or put in your garden for fertilizer.
"I am not an advocate of using sportfish for bait"
But if you do, you better us it on site in compliance with bait transportation laws and read your book for any special regs on the body of water your fishing.

Sorry for hijacking the post.
Pray for ice,
Wellsy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.