New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Walmart has it !!!  (Read 9114 times)

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Walmart has it !!!
« on: Nov 04, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Went to walmart today and to my suprise they had there ice fishing stuff out. I stocked up on line for the tipups and brought 3 new stick tipups. Cant wait to use my new stuff. ;D

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
Re: Walmart has it !!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Wish our walmart had stuff out. We will be lucky if it's out before Christmas. Our walmart in iron mnt mi SUCKS.
  Use to have great sporting goods sec but ever since they made it super walmart hole store has went down hill. Including the sporting goods sec big time. :'( :%$#!: :%$#!: :'(
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline nyiceman23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WALKING ON WATER
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2007, 07:22 PM »
Yep I picked up a bunch of stuff at Walmart this weekend.  Guy behind me in line had 5 highflyer tip ups in his hand.  I guess I'm not the only one in town with ice fever.   :tipup:

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:08 PM »
they have any jiffy augers out??

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:19 AM »
they have any jiffy augers out??

I did not see any.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:25 AM »
support the chinese economy- shop at walmart

soon, you'll be buying everything there, won't be noplace else left.

suck it up, spend a few more pennies on the dollar and support local business. :nono:
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:47 AM »
RLW, keep in mind, they are unionized in China. They pushed to have a unionized workforce there. They can't have a union in the USA but they sure allowed it to happen in China. Wally World is okay if I can't find something right away that I want/need but, given a choice I'd go to a small business to get it. Besides, where I live Wally World usually doesn't have anything I need for icefishing  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline 97stang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007, 02:54 PM »
walmart in east greenbush?

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007, 02:57 PM »
yup

Offline flagrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:34 PM »
   I have to agree with sparkyice , spend a few more dollars support your local dealers. I don't buy anything from walmart if i can get it from my local sporting goods store.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:49 PM »
what happens when you start having to drive way out of your way as the bait shops disappear? even the more prominent shops don't have an easy time especially when the winters suck.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Look up "bait shop" in a online dictionary : baitshop :  Once a staple for eager fishermen, now on the endangered specie list. The only ones left are run by people who only survive by looking forward to a few visiters a day.

In all actuality, with gas prices and the prices its hard to resist the convienance buys at walmart. However, please try to dig in to your pockets to buy the quality goods at your local baitshop when visiting them. They are getting scarcer everyday.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2007, 06:39 PM »
http://www.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart Thought this was funny and on topic.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:40 AM »
Agree with ya' alot RLW, and agree to disagree  :) Guess back to the main thread topic, must be nice that some of the Wally Worlds carry what is needed. Just in my area they tend not to carry anything I need. At least nothing of quality as far as fishing and icefishing stuff goes :( Shoot, come to think of it, none of them by me carry any sort of icefishing gear  :( But, I posted before on another thread, Cabela's did have the darters for under $5 which wasn't bad.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:47 AM »
By shopping at Walmart I am able to buy more goods at an affordable price. The organized labor has made it nearly impossible for American made to compete in a global economy. If we continue to look out for our family and budgets by shopping Walmart, then maybe organized labor will wake up and begin making efforts to allow companies upon our soil to compete again.

I do not look down upon anyone for saving a few bucks for shopping at Walmart. In todays economy with organized labor in Michigan, we need to save every cent we can, and if that means shopping for the same products at a cheaper rate at Walmart, then so be it.

There is no more organized labor here. I wish organized labor would come back. Then my customers could afford me. Thanks to outsourcing and companies moving overseas the middle class is shrinking. Manufacturing is leaving. My brother's company is almost ready to close their doors. Lost half of their customers to China last year and recently lost another quarter. He'll be looking for a new job as comptroller soon. This is happening everywhere!

I think you've got it all wrong. The reason that everything is made in China is because the stockholders are constantly begging for more profits. And then there's the millions CEO's get. If you can get somone in China to work for pennies that makes more money for them. Did you know China used their military as a labor force too? How fair is that?

And just so you know you're not getting the same quality at Wallmart even if it's name brand. You're getting seconds.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Our Walmart handles no icefishing stuff at all but for me I try to stay away from big chain stores and get my supplies from the few ma and pa shops left around this town. Wallmart buys there products in big lots thats why they can afford to sell at lower rates. Blaming everything on organised labor is down right wrong. People of this country have a right to earn a decent living for themselves and for their family. Before you want to blame Unions look at the wages of the ceo's who fight to keep wages and health care and Unions away from workers to boost the profits of the company in which they work for a boost in profit means a boost in there salary. 200 plus million a year for these cut throats who prey on the small guy who in fact makes the money for the big man. I am a union man yes and will stand by my rights as a worker as well as any non union person out there. Big business have always been out for big profit which is why they are in business anyways but why should they be allowed to take down the persons who are making them their profits? I can't even think of what our kids will go through in years to come with the way these big companies are trying to controll how much we earn or want to earn. I don't see how anyone can make a living on min wages. And if given the chance these big companies will have its workers getting paid just that. Try owning a home and new cars or taking the family on a trip on min. wage. Personally our Union has not taken a wage increase in 6 years our benefits went up a whoping .25 in which the increase went to a pension fund so when we retire there will be something there for us due to the fact people are living longer! We are not out there trying to put anyone out of business we just feel a person who makes a company money is deserving of a fair wage and also something to look forward to after working 40 years such as a pension. If you still feel Unions are breaking this country and sending jobs overseas look into the profits of these big companies Oil companies are into the billions Auto manufactures are still in the hundreds of millions true profits not projected profits where they compare and show loss against the projected profits. These companies are selling out the workers of the U.S. outsourcing of jobs without any penalty such as import tax is what is killing us they don't ship goods  to European or 3rd world countries for free to be assembled there nor do they ship them back for free. Paying someone to assemble products for 3.00 a day and no health benefits is way cheaper than paying a U.S. worker a fair wage to do the same thing. Workers of the U.S. need to see that lower wages and no health benifts doesn't mean there job will be there tommorow. Fight for your rights stand tall we are all in this together.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Look up "bait shop" in a online dictionary : baitshop :  Once a staple for eager fishermen, now on the endangered specie list. The only ones left are run by people who only survive by looking forward to a few visiters a day.

In all actuality, with gas prices and the prices its hard to resist the convienance buys at walmart. However, please try to dig in to your pockets to buy the quality goods at your local baitshop when visiting them. They are getting scarcer everyday.

I wonder if the wallmarts in these guy's areas deal in live bait like minnows. The ones in my area don't. When the bait stores close where am I supposed to get minnows?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 06, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Our Walmart handles no icefishing stuff at all but for me I try to stay away from big chain stores and get my supplies from the few ma and pa shops left around this town. Wallmart buys there products in big lots thats why they can afford to sell at lower rates. Blaming everything on organised labor is down right wrong. People of this country have a right to earn a decent living for themselves and for their family. Before you want to blame Unions look at the wages of the ceo's who fight to keep wages and health care and Unions away from workers to boost the profits of the company in which they work for a boost in profit means a boost in there salary. 200 plus million a year for these cut throats who prey on the small guy who in fact makes the money for the big man. I am a union man yes and will stand by my rights as a worker as well as any non union person out there. Big business have always been out for big profit which is why they are in business anyways but why should they be allowed to take down the persons who are making them their profits? I can't even think of what our kids will go through in years to come with the way these big companies are trying to controll how much we earn or want to earn. I don't see how anyone can make a living on min wages. And if given the chance these big companies will have its workers getting paid just that. Try owning a home and new cars or taking the family on a trip on min. wage. Personally our Union has not taken a wage increase in 6 years our benefits went up a whoping .25 in which the increase went to a pension fund so when we retire there will be something there for us due to the fact people are living longer! We are not out there trying to put anyone out of business we just feel a person who makes a company money is deserving of a fair wage and also something to look forward to after working 40 years such as a pension. If you still feel Unions are breaking this country and sending jobs overseas look into the profits of these big companies Oil companies are into the billions Auto manufactures are still in the hundreds of millions true profits not projected profits where they compare and show loss against the projected profits. These companies are selling out the workers of the U.S. outsourcing of jobs without any penalty such as import tax is what is killing us they don't ship goods  to European or 3rd world countries for free to be assembled there nor do they ship them back for free. Paying someone to assemble products for 3.00 a day and no health benefits is way cheaper than paying a U.S. worker a fair wage to do the same thing. Workers of the U.S. need to see that lower wages and no health benifts doesn't mean there job will be there tommorow. Fight for your rights stand tall we are all in this together.

Damn right!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:00 AM »
I try not to buy anything at wal-mart .Also, this is a different subject but check some BIG anti hunting supporters,you may never eat a big mac again.

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:02 AM »
I try not to buy anything at wal-mart .Also, this is a different subject but check some BIG anti hunting supporters,you may never eat a big mac again.

i don't like big macs anway ;D   walmart is anti-hunting?????

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:40 AM »
i don't like big macs anway ;D   walmart is anti-hunting?????

Walmarts in SE Mich. offer a selection of shotguns, rifles and black powder and also are one of the few remaining places to purchase hunting and fishing lisc. They seem anything but anti-hunting in Michigan. Maybe your States are anti-hunting and therefore regulate Walmart as Anti-Hunting? We can buy ammo and powder as well here.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Dang perchking...look what you started  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Boy am I glad Wally Worlds RFID program isn't being brought up  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2007, 10:39 AM »
one alternative to unions is indentured servitude.
this was very profitable to the corporations of the day, allowing them to expand exponentially.
another alternative is slavery. also very profitable.
both of these were found to be distasteful, and were dispensed with some years ago.
except in china.
but, corporations are different today, right?
they'll take care of their workers, right?
greed is a thing of the past, right?

dam politics, anyway.
clogging up a perfectly good fishing site.
can we get a political and religious opinion topic started?
we all like to blow our hot air, but it might be better to isolate it a little from the important stuff in our lives.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2007, 10:59 AM »
wow all I wanted to do is let people know that walmart has there ice fishing stuff out. I did not mean for it to turn into a big deal. :(

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:08 AM »
wow all I wanted to do is let people know that walmart has there ice fishing stuff out. I did not mean for it to turn into a big deal. :(

Apparently some people do not like good news or good prices, but I do. Thank you for sharing the information and do not let Walmart haters deter you in the future from having new press-releases Perch-King!! Thanks again for the info!

RL

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:12 AM »
Oh I wouldn't let it get ya' down PK  :laugh: I think we are all just chomping at the bit waiting for the season to begin  :) Hopefully it will soon be here  :tipup:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:21 AM »
Its not that I don't like the little bait shops its just that every year I buy all my stuff I need in the beginning of the season at walmart because they are the least expansive (Everyone likes to save a few $$$). During the heart of the season if I need some thing I will usually go to the local bait store.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Well read back. I wished Wally World in my neck of the woods did carry the stuff I need  :) Shoot, I like to save a buck as much as anyone  :) Be glad that you are able to go there for what you need to get. Would save me some loooong drives sometimes. Then again I guess it depends on the region your in. Some years we get decent ice, other years we don't so I guess it doesn't make sense to carry things you don't sell much of in off years. What are the temps like up there? Saw the lake effect snow machine was starting today for some areas.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:38 AM »
Unions are not only sending jobs out of the country so companies can compete, they sare sending jobs out of the rust belt, Michigan etc at an alarming rate. Unions are degrading the north while jobs flee south and westward to avoid the nastyness of current unions. A person does not have an inherant "RIGHT" to a living wage. Rights are granred in the constitution, not by a union boss full of rhetoric. One way to judge if you are paid a fair wage is to remove your current job and ask, how much can I make with my current education and experience on the open market??? Yikes is right!!! Paying people 50-75 grand a year with only a GED or highschool diploma is over paying period.
Also, just because a company makes more, does not entitle the employee automatically to more. Thestaff agree to work for a wage and benefit package, then hold a knife to the throat of the company cause they want more. If the unions would stop bleeding companies to death, then the bucks could be used as investment, R&D, expansion better wages etc... But it becomes blood money.

Do not believe??? just look at dwindling membership, relocation of business out of the unions beltway. They have outlived their usefullness, created a us/them, you/me, we/they mentallity that eliminates team work. Live bythe union, die bythe union. Don't believe me?? ask the tens of thousands of unfortunate eople in SE MI>

Not completely true. Sure some unions had too much power and were even corrupt but it's not the main reason industry as moved out of your area and the country. It all comes down to the bottom line. If you can get some schmuck to work for pennies a days in some far off land and bring up the profit margin for a company they're gonna go do it union or not.

I think you may be changing your tune in 10 years or less.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Its not that I don't like the little bait shops its just that every year I buy all my stuff I need in the beginning of the season at walmart because they are the least expansive (Everyone likes to save a few $$$). During the heart of the season if I need some thing I will usually go to the local bait store.

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper into why it's so much cheaper and stop thinking in instant gratification mode regardless of the long term consequences.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.