Author Topic: Suspended or on Bottom?  (Read 6224 times)

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
Suspended or on Bottom?
« on: Dec 31, 2003, 07:24 PM »
when u fish for ling during the light hours do u suspend your bait of leave it on bottom?
Any info appreciated.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re:Suspended or on Bottom?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:09 PM »
Everyone I know that fishes for them, fish right on the bottom.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:12 PM »
thanks esox  do u know when you use tip-ups do they lay the smell  on its side on bottom or just right with the belly almost touching? And in what depth of water

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 11:22 PM »
Burbot will take bait on your tip-up rigs within 1 ft. from the bottom.  Sometimes they are extremely aggresive and will pursue bait several feet from bottom, but your best bet is right on the bottom.  If you jig, just remember to pound the bottom with your bait!  Don't be scared to grab the biggest jig in your box that glows in the dark and bait it with some fresh cutbait.  Your best bet for these fish is dusk to dawn.  I have caught plenty during the day using the same techniques.  Be aggresive and let the fish know your stirin' up the bottom. ;)  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2004, 02:00 PM »
thanks alot barley dog ill try this next time when im fishing with my tip ups probably this weekend.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2004, 06:35 PM »
Looks like Jim beat me to it... ;) Thanks for coering for me. ;D How is the ice up there??...Must have 3 feet by now. ;)

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2004, 11:01 PM »
Bob,  Fished on three feet today ;D  and it was only -2 out!  Still sat in the shanty however.  My son an I caught up to 20 Rainbows and Char until he got fussy.  Kept enough for dinner and managed to ice one 20+" that I tossed back.  Hows life in VT?  Did you get out?  I see the weather has been less than cooperative for you all in the Northeast.  Hope it changes!  :'( :'( JIM
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:38 AM »
Jim,
I got out on the 1st. We did a few fish....nothing too big...2 27" pike were the best we could manage, but for the first real trip out it was good. With all new gear it was the usual "cluster" getting things setup. There was about 1' of ice, but the water was cloudy from the rain we had. Should get better in a week or two. I tried the new auger and it KICKS BUTT! ;D ;D I've never seen anything that fast. I was cutting holes just for the fun of it.....I've never done that before.

After Monday, it's not suppose to get above 20 degrees for a couple weeks, so we should make some good ice.

Nice job on the trout.....The wife is wanting me to get a few salmon this year. I made the "mistake" of keeping one last year, so now that she has fresh salmon...it's all over. ;)

Go get um' this weekend.

Bob

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2004, 02:36 PM »
I've only caught 2 burbot suspended. 1 was in 70ft of h2o and I was fishing in 114ft. The other was caught at 8ft when I was fishing in 26ft. The majority are of course on the bottom. I couldn't resist the temptation to reel up to where I saw the fish on the flasher. One was 5lbs & the other 8lbs.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:22 PM »
thanks terry i normally fish in no more than 15 feet of water.

gazoo7401

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2004, 12:21 AM »
how deep is the water total?

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2004, 12:29 AM »
in the middle of the lake its about 40 but i normally fish for whites and jack at the same time in about 8-15

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2004, 04:56 AM »
If you are fishing in 15ft then fish right on the bottom. I generally fish for ling from 4ft of h2o to 30ft of h2o and always right on the bottom. Those times I previously mentioned I was fishing for laketrout and wanted to see what was cruising by on the flasher.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2004, 07:56 AM »
I fish for em by leaving the Dead minnow on the bottom or 6 inches up suspened. If its dark that is . If its a little earlier in the day ill jig that dead minnow to try to get something lese to hit it. ALso during differnt months try differnt depths for Ling. I believe its mid february that they sapwn in the shallows in like 7-15 feet of water? So it will vary as to where you catch them lots based on the months so make sure to keep a eye open for that. ASk trpaperdirk he catchs lots of em also.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:35 AM »
I have set line for them also, but get my best results bouncing my glow in the dark jig off the bottom as described previously by Barleydog.

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2004, 06:50 PM »
hey thanks every one ill try this and report back?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.