Author Topic: Remember - Don't get slapped in the face!  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
Remember - Don't get slapped in the face!
« on: Jan 10, 2005, 12:37 PM »
You hear about it, every year.....

Some guy has all his traps out at night, tipped with bait and laying on the bottom, while he jigs in the shanty.... checks his traps every hour, like he's supposed to... pulls his trap out of the hole to clear the ice and.... WHAAPP!!! the flag goes off in his face as he lifts the trap.... Nothing much stings worse than a flag in the face when its 11pm and 10 below!! 
 :tipup: :'(

What's happened is this: the cusk/burbou/eelpout/lawyer has swallowed the bait without setting the flag and has decided to take a little nap... He's hooked, but not going anywhere. So when the trap gets pulled, the line tightens, and the flag goes off. Happens ALL the time.... I got one in the face, last year and so did my boy.

Just a friendly reminder to hold the trap away from your face when checking your holes while cusk fishing....  ;)
Scott Wright

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Remember - Don't get slapped in the face!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Manly yes, but I prefer to jig. Up here in BC we only get one line so you can either jig or trap. Much more productive to jig.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Remember - Don't get slapped in the face!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Scott,
Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Glad I am not the only one to get slapped in the face without having grabbed some barmaids buttocks. At least then I could understand why!

IceTroll
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.