Author Topic: What type of line for musky/pike?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Kybar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
What type of line for musky/pike?
« on: Feb 27, 2007, 03:35 PM »
Just wondering how heavy should I go if I'm targeting big fish...40lb, 50lb, 60+lb test?  Do you guys primarily use Dacron line?  Does the color matter (white, black, etc?).  Also, how much should I have on the spool?  One last thing, is there any trick to keep big bait fish from running off the line and setting the flag off (in PA we're allowed to use legally taken gamefish as bait).  Thanks for the input.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What type of line for musky/pike?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I have found that 50 lb black braided Dacron is the best for tip-ups for any species. It is fairly easy to handle in temperatures below freezing and it spools nicely. A typical tip-up spool claims to handle 200 yards but with the 50 lb it is more like 150 yards. I tie the beginning section of the Dacron to the spool using a trielene knot. Spool it the same way that you would a bait cast reel avoiding any twists while transferring from bulk spool to tip up. Fill the tip-up spool until 1/8 of the edge is left. The last section place two yards of mono or fluorocarbon, what ever lb test you are comfortable of using, and last piece is the leader and hook.  I like to use 12 lb for large muskies, 20lb plus, and 8 lb for pike. All my years of fishing never had a pike or musky run 150 yd off a spool, trout on the other hand yes so had to switch to 500 yard spool tip-ups for them. Some fisherman place a rubber band on the spindle and attach the other end to the body of the tip-up but I found the added resistance only cause the fish to run further than without. :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 11:10 AM »
I feel the main line is less important than the leader, 30-50lb dacron is good and color doesn't matter, 100 yds or more is good. A quick hookset is key for CPR and don't try and muscle the fish in and you won't have break-offs. I use 25lb flourocarbon as leader, steel leaders are the strongest but I prefer the flouro (less visible and lets the bait move around easier).

You can use planer board or downrigger releases attached to the shaft on Polar style tip-ups or for wooden ones attach on the opposite side of the spool. Offshore OR-16's are a good pad type release that work well.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:22 PM »
It depends on what body of water I am fishing - if I am targeting on a trophy lake I go BIG. 80# Mason braided with a 27# steel leader and a 1/0 treble. Here in WI I am blessed to have many of these lakes near me so it seems I fish with this set up the most. :tipup:

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2007, 05:28 PM »
I use a heavy 85 pound Gorilla line for backing and only use about 5o yards of it.  Where we fish the pike get 20+ pounds and there is a lot of underwater trees for them to wrap around.  The shorter line helps prevent this.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline fireplug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Where do you buy your dacron? I was given older tip-ups this year, and am going to re-spool them for perch/walleye as well as buy some bigger ones for trout (I live in the Finger Lakes region of NY and we have lakers  ;D)
"Most men, regardless of cause or need, blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
John Wayne from "The Shootist"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.