Author Topic: My kids are asking when they can go ice fishing (!!!)  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best feeling ever, as my 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son have been asking about ice fishing this winter. I couldn't get them out last season, so I'm hoping for a freeze like we had then, as I'm sure we all are. I told them we're about 4 months out, but I'm already thinking about it each night and it's only October. Even if they just pulled one perch out each for the entire winter, I bet they'd get addicted.

I'd love to hear members' stories about the first time they brought a kid out, and if it lived up to the anticipation. If anyone's kids didn't take to it, could something have been done differently that may have changed the outcome?

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My kids are asking when they can go ice fishing (!!!)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2022, 12:17 PM »
I'm not sure if it was their first time ice fishing, but we had our kids out along with a few other families in -25C weather and they had a great time. We set up the wall tent on the ice and it was so cold the propane wouldn't flow and we had no heat. The kids didn't mind, they did a bit of fishing but mostly running around on the ice, looking down the holes, etc, til they were soaking wet... still they didn't want to go home!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2022, 01:53 PM »
The kids didn't mind, they did a bit of fishing but mostly running around on the ice, looking down the holes, etc, til they were soaking wet... still they didn't want to go home!!

It's at this moment that you have to figure you've done everything there is to do as a parent to raise them right, and you can hang up your ice cleats  :thumbsup: That's just great to hear!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2022, 05:41 AM »

I have been adding yak trax springs while not a cleat they are good for kiddos in temps above 0 if anyone needs some small size

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.