Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Tipups

perch on tipups

(1/3) > >>

panfishman13:
a few times this year, i've had tipups out with a variety of baits while jigging up decent sized perch. i'd get a flag and check it, only to find that nothing was amiss. bait still there, no line pulled off, etc., and i'd taken measures to ensure against wind flags.
i suspect perch are tripping the flag and taking off without the bait, but i'm not sure why they're not fully committing.

my tipup rigs are either weightless or only have a small spinner blade rigged a few inches above the hook; my leaders are fairly light and long (8 lb test, usually 24-48 inches long depending on water clarity); and my hooks are round bend trebles sized to the bait i'm using; no smaller than a 14, no larger than a 6.
baits include small salted minnows (live minnows aren't legal in my state), pieces of cutbait, chunks of nightcrawler, a mealworm, or a few waxworms. all of these have been bit as described above.

any tips are appreciated, i intend to try single hooks on my next trip, and possibly even lighter line for the leader, but aside from that i don't really have any ideas.

stripernut:
When I started using Quick Strike Rigs with Double Rider hooks I started to catch all the bait stealers on my tip-ups... Best to make sure they are legal in your state.

Subway4X4:

--- Quote from: stripernut on Feb 25, 2022, 07:02 AM ---When I started using Quick Strike Rigs with Double Rider hooks I started to catch all the bait stealers on my tip-ups... Best to make sure they are legal in your state.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

--- End quote ---
Nice! Can you give me more details on those hooks? Are they pre-rigged, or you tied them yourself?

R.S.:
number six trebles do the same or better.

stripernut:

--- Quote ---Nice! Can you give me more details on those hooks? Are they pre-rigged, or you tied them yourself?
--- End quote ---

I rig them myself and when I can't find them I make the hooks by gluing and wrapping them with kevlar thread. I tried the trebles and they do work, but find them harder to remove from fish and more apt to catch on things I don't want to be caught. Hook size is dictated by the size of the bait and I most often rig the forward hook to "slide". The name of the rig comes from the way you use it; no waiting, feel the fish set the hook, and most often it is in the lips for a good release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version